“Ok for the price”

Adventure Inn
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The hotel is a nice value. However, we found it came up short in comparison to some claims on the website.

Pros
We were very pleased with the tours we booked through the hotel. The front desk staff were exceptionally helpful. The pool is great. The internet wi-fi was great

Cons
Our room had sub par beds. One was even a single--smaller than the doubles advertised. One bed either needs to be rotated or replaced.

Bacon and sausage are touted on the website. If you are expecting an American version of either you will he left wanting.

Overall the restaurant is subpar. The food is not commensurate with the prices charged. In fact, my daughters and I got upset yummiest from dairy served there. Overall, it is hotel food...average and overpriced.

Finally, the warm water is not good. I waited more than the 3 minutes explained on the placard in the tub. However several nights I had lukewarm water at best. One of our tubs was in disrepair; the plug for the tub doesn't work. One of the sinks has a wonky knob...it is eccentric in that you have to turn it just right to turn it off.

We had ants also. We asked the hotel to help with the problem, but finally solved it ourselves, with a can of Raid.

Overall, I do consider the hotel a good value as long as you know what you will get for your money.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank cewaye
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

I am sorry this family is lactose intolerant and they also feel Costa Rica pork products don't compare to their American counterpart, perhaps travel doesn't agree with them if they are that sensitive to changes, but I don't see where we are to blame. We prefer to support the local economy where possible, and even give our food scraps to a local pig farmer. Regarding the beds that they didn't like, in the last half year we have replaced all of our beds new semi-orthopaedic hotel quality beds, so I find their complaint a bit strange, I guess everyone's preference is different with beds. Adventure Inn, like all hotels in Costa Rica that were built in a rainforest, has an ant problem if you don't heed our advice and leave your food sitting out. Fortunately they are just tiny little harmless guys. Using Raid on them is a waste of time and money and just contaminates the environment. We have a controlled fumigation every couple of months with eco-friendly products.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We really liked the service here. Especially the front desk staff and housecleaning folks.

* The typical front desk person at Adventure Inn is worth any concierge at any of the top worldwide hotels I have stayed at. They will do whatever is needed to make sure everyone from taxi drivers to tour companies help you.

The hotel is not perfect, of course. Don't eat at the restaurant except for breakfast. Seriously. If the meal isn't tasteless it is overpriced. If it isn't overpriced the food tastes "off " (or stale). Unfortunately there are not many alternatives nearby but try them anyway. I ate half the menu (I am a slow learner and know whereof I speak, here). Skip it.

A bonus ... while any hotel's internet is generally crappy or expensive (or both) that was not our experience. Ours was fast enough to watch TV shows from our laptop. Bring an HDMI cable to output to your in-room TV. Now THAT is good hotel wi-fi.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Deanorlando
Reviewed 7 April 2012

If your trip to Costa Rica is like ours - late night arrival and early morning departure - the Adventure Inn is a great choice. Near the San Jose airport, friendly and helpful staff, good (not great) rooms, excellent breakfast included with room charge. We were especially pleased with the staff - couldn't have been more helpful.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

This small Inn has comfortable, spacious rooms with good quality bedding and pillows, a library with easy internet access, good fitness center and pool and restuarant that makes most excellent fresh fruit milkshakes (Chocolate also yummy!). The staff all speak both English and Spanish and the front desk will arrange taxis to the airport without any extra charge. This Inn is so much better than the predictable chain hotels that line the airport boulevard and was a most pleasnt surprise for my first, but not last, visit to beautiful Costa Rica. I luckily found it with the help of Catalina Cuevas who advised us on Costa Rican arrangements via phone and internet from Costa Rica with C.R. Referrals-check out their website for good advice on properties like Adventure Inn.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, room 15 was quite and convenient to everything
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Adventure Inn is truly an undiscovered jewel of Costa Rica. At just 34 rooms, I didn't know what to expect and I wasn't disappointed in the least. The Inn is incredible clean and very well taken care of. The rooms are spacious and the beds are extremely comfortable. But the best part of my stay was the staff. From the front desk to the restaurant to the housekeeping, they were all friendly and attentive to your needs, and simply made you feel like you were someone special. This is a great place to stay for exploring the country as the list of available excursions is seemingly endless. The ones my wife and I went on were very well organized and executed, with knowledgeable guides that made the trips an experience to remember.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed at The Adventure Inn for two nights, one at each end of my Costa Rican vacation. Upon arrival for my first stay, I was greeted and checked in easily. I stayed in room 9. It was basic and a bit dated, but very clean and got the job done! Since I arrived late and left early the next morning, I didn't take much time to explore, but the hotel was clean and cleverly decorated with a Costa Rican flair. The breakfast was HUGE, delicious, and a great bargain (included in the nightly rate)!

On my second visit at the end of my stay, I was pleasantly surprised at the much more modern amenities in room 30. This is obviously a room that has been built or updated more recently. I did notice some echoing of noise from the restaurant/bar below, but not so much as to keep me awake. One note for older travelers: the tub/shower is fairly high up and could pose an accessibility issue, so be sure to mention that when checking in.

The food and service at the restaurant was a tad on the spendy side for Costa Rica, but not outrageously so and was quite tasty. I would definitely recommend The Adventure Inn as a stopping point or home base for those wanting a clean, affordable place without the sterile environment of the big chains!

Room Tip: Rooms over the Solarium are nicer (but a bit louder).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We spent 3 nights at Adventure Inn; when we first arrived, 10 days later when we dropped our car off there and our last night before we went home. All our rooms were great and we enjoyed the restaurant each time. We also rented a car through Adventure Inn - I do recommend having a GPS included. The hotel is handy to the airport. I was pleased with our stay there!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple