All reviews other guests fish gas stove outdoor shower one foot island boat trip cook islands an excellent lunch the managers awesome snorkeling paradise holiday snorkeling tours budget accommodation worked fine will blow your mind perfect hosts clams
Reviewed December 31, 2017

I stayed at the Reef Hut and loved my stay at Matriki. The huts are quaint and cozy and have all your basic needs, yet still have a rustic "Cast Away" type feel. A perfect mix. I especially loved lying in bed, reading a book and getting the nice sea breeze and view come through the screened window.

Baron and Erica (the managers) were super helpful, and easy going. I went fishing with Baron and caught a nice sized Wahoo! Great experience at Matriki and I hope to come back.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Eric J
Erica G, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2018

Hey Eric,
Thanks heaps, glad you enjoyed your stay and made the most of your few days here - even though it rained a bit.
Byron really enjoyed taking you fishing - one of the perks of his job. You were a great guest and more than welcome anytime!
-Erica

Reviewed December 23, 2017 via mobile

First of all I’d like to say staying at Matriki Beach Huts was one of our most ideal holidays. It was exactly how we pictured an island getaway would be.
Matriki Beach hits is affordable, on a great location just metres from the beach, huts have great character, plenty of palm trees, white sand, great snorkeling and friendly and professional host.
We stayed for nine nights and stayed in two different huts. Both had a double bed, self contained kitchen with a small fridge/freezer and gas portable cook top and also had a shower.
Four of the huts shared two toilets. They were always kept clean and as a couple that loves camping it was no issue for us at all.
We decided to spend less on accommodation so we could spend more money on snorkeling and fishing trips on the lagoon which is a must as the lagoon is picture perfect postcard material that should not be missed.
One of the snorkeling tours we did was with Byron who is one of the managers with his wife Erica. The day trip was sensational. We stopped at four islands and also three snorkeling locations. We had already done one snorkeling trip which was great but Byron took us to some different snorkeling spots that far exceeded our previous trip with huge clams, plenty of coral and fish and of course the Giant Trevally that was a special highlight. He also cooked a perfect bbq that would rival any meal we had on all the Cook Islands. ( sorry Byron, plenty of pressure on you now ).
We also had a bit of downtime lying on the hammocks between the palm trees reading books and also a highlight which has been mentioned on another post was the bonfire Byron prepared for the guest where we spent a few hours talking to other guest about their travels and driving vodka mixed with fresh coconut water which Byron organised for us on ice with a dash of lime. It was a great night.
In summary, if your on some sort of budget do yourself a favour if you stay on Aitutaki and stay at the Matriki Beach Huts, you won’t regret it.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Knowles1

Hey A & M (am I allowed to write names on here?) Cheers to the Knowles!
It was so great having you guys here - we miss you even!
I'm so glad you guys had such a great time, your enthusiasm for the place was contagious and it made the start of our journey all the more enjoyable.
Don't worry, we will keep up the good food for the tours :)
Thanks for the great review and we are so happy that you had a "mean as" time. Plus thanks for the cheese!!! They finally have my favorite crackers on the island, now I just have to find the cheese :)

Reviewed December 10, 2017

Stayed at Matriki for the week for the Motu 2 Motu canoe race. Budget property right on the ocean, same location as all the fancy resorts- on the sand, on the ocean, same access as everyone else. Stayed in the lower hut on the beach (there was an upstairs unit above us). A smaller bed and a larger futon for us 2 to sleep on. Mosquito nets around both beds, small lanai (thatching came off and hard to sit outside in rain), outdoor shower out back attached, flush toilets you walk to behind hut with a sink. Our room was an apartment (small fridge, all cutlery/plates/pans, gas cooktop, sink). Sheets didn't seem to have been laundered at all before our arrival, smelled like hair and other people, so I draped my pareau over my bed and slept that way, so maybe request that done before you arrive. Property was very simple but nice. In need of some cleaning up, but perfect place for our needs.

They do NOT have kayaks for rent as their website says, FYI, which was very disappointing, and it's impossible to find any for rent because the resorts let their own guests use theirs and they won't rent out. They do have bicycles for $10/day to rent, snorkel gear for $5/day for rent, and motorbikes to rent (didn't rent one so don't know how much). There's a giant clam about a 10 minute swim out into the lagoon to check out- AWESOME! Lagoon is perfect for snorkeling, beach great for walking and hunting shells and watching crabbies.

My booking said I'd pay 50% when I booked (which happened) and that they would take out the remaining 50% within 60 days of my booking. They did not. So when I was there they had to take my credit card and run it multiple times (wifi not reliable) to finally get the remaining balance taken care of. Note to self if you don't have much money in your account.

Everyone super duper nice and accommodating. We wished we had been told that Sundays are hard to find food because of it being a religious day of no work really, and also nice to have been told that places open for breakfast and then close around 2ish til 5/6ish for dinner, so we were stuck with no food at one point and ate crisps we got at a small shop. Everyone so friendly there and we absolutely loved our stay. Will stay there again taking into consideration the little tips I mentioned here.

Room Tip: Front rooms on the beach
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

Matriki Beach Huts are situated right on a beautiful and peaceful stretch of sand.
If you're looking for 5 star accommodation with aircon, spa, room service, swimming pool, etc. (with a hefty price tag) then this is not for you. However if you're on a budget and still want to experience and explore the wonderful island of Aitutaki then these rustic and back to basic beach huts are a perfect option.
The new managers, Byron and Erica, are putting their heart and soul into returning Matriki to its best.
I stayed here 12 years ago and was looking forward to returning. I wasn't disappointed!
Each beach hut is self contained with a fridge, double gas stove and basic kitchen utensils meaning that you can save money by catering for yourselves rather than eating all your meals in restaurants. There is also a communal BBQ area for you to use right on the beach.
Byron offers a water taxi service, fishing trips and day trips out on the lagoon. I have to say that a day spent visiting some of the tiny deserted islands and snorkelling amongst the beautiful coral and hundreds of colourful fish, as well as swimming with a dozen or so 30kg plus giant trevallys is what Aitutaki is all about! Matriki also have motor bikes and push bikes available for hire to help you explore the island at your own pace.

Matriki offers you a taste of Island life and Byron can show you how to hook coconuts straight from the palm trees in the garden and how to cut into them so that you can drink straight from the fresh coconut. A favourite moment of my stay was sitting on the beach at night around a bonfire with Byron, Erica and the other guests drinking fresh coconuts and telling stories. A splash of vodka in your coconut was optional!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andyrabey
Erica G, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2017

Thank you guys! I'm so glad you made the most of your trip here and took advantage of a lot of what the island has to offer. It was so cool having you here and we really enjoyed the fire night too with a good bunch of people who all got along really well :) I hope you are enjoying NZ now and are going on one of my suggested walks and catching some good sized snapper!

Reviewed November 7, 2017

We have just returned from a trip backpacking around New Zealand, then to Rarotonga, then we had 7 days booked at Matriki. We had seen all the photos on here of the accommodation and were expecting basic, but lovely huts. However...when we arrived it unfortunately did not meet this expectation at all!
We stayed in the garden unit, which looked like it has not been updated in a many years and is in dire need of some love! There were many issues that would have been fairly easy to rectify- lots of screws are partially sticking out, including one at the base of the door frame, which I cut my foot on. Part of the ceiling is collapsing in the bathroom, the toilet was so dirty and not screwed into the floor, the shutters on the windows are broken, so you can't close all of them. We had been staying in youth hostels for our whole trip, so are used to budget accommodation- however this place is really filthy and didn't look like it had been cleaned at all (the toilet is stained, the floors dirty, all the cooking utensils unclean and dead bugs lying around). Also, watch out for the sink, a small shard of metal sticks out from here, which i also managed to cut myself on!
This accommodation was so bad that we considered leaving Aitutaki, but luckily found another place with vacancies, and transferred there, where we had the most beautiful end to our holiday. We approached the manager about the issues with the room, he implied we were lying about the problems until I said I would show him them, at this point he accepted that we would not be paying for the whole week. The manager is leaving and doesn't seem to have been taking good care of the place for a while. There is a new manager taking over soon, so I hope they will take better care of it, as it has potential to be great.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amysquires1
Erica G, Owner at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2017

Hi Amy
We would like to greatly apologise for your experience of your stay at Matriki. We are glad that you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay on the island, rather than leaving. The previous manager Paul, was hired as part of a wife/husband package. Unfortunately, his wife left the island in May. Prior to her leaving they were both doing a great job and the place was running nicely and well maintained. Things changed after that. As you graciously pointed out, Matriki has great potential, it is a lovely spot and we intend to make positive changes moving forward. In that light, we are pleased to let you know that the new managers, Byron and Erica have taken over the running of the business, from the 4th November. They have already been working hard to spruce the place up and will be continuing to do so. They fully intend to uplift the vibe again. Matthias is also on hand for a few weeks and is putting his heart energy into the place.

Riki and Matthias - Owners