“Beef rendang or beef stroganoff (without the noodles)”
Review of The Rickshaw

The Rickshaw
Ranked #35 of 103 Restaurants in Rarotonga
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cosy Asian Street Style Cafe in Muri, serving Vietnamese, Indonesian, Chinese, Malasian and Thai dishes with a range of vegetarian choices and gluten free items on request.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The atmosphere was pretty and the staff seemed nice. The food was deeply disappointing, an awful stretch from Indonesian or even Asian, based on the beef rendang that arrived at my table. It tasted like an American beef in gravy, with no hint of spices that is normally in a rendang. They served it with a tortilla. When I expressed my disappointment to one of the managers, and asked which dish was more authentic, he said I just had to try and order more dishes. Considering how disappointed I was with this one, and no offer to replace, I am not likely try others.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

It was my favourite 3 years ago, and still rates very high with me, lovely relaxed atmosphere, inexpensive, and large asian oriented menu

Reviewed 6 March 2018

This is a pleasant looking little restaurant lasted right beside the main road at Muri beach Rarotonga. It only opens Monday to Saturday though so watch out for that.
Decor is simple and service was pretty good although we were not there at a busy period. Even though it claims to be a Vietnamese restaurant they seem to over a range of dishes from South East Asia and we started off with Thai Fish cakes which were fine but not memorable. Our main courses were good too but as my wife is from South Asia and likes food with good flavour if not exactly full on spicy , we finished our meals but found ourselves thinking that we have food to a higher standard. Its far from bad and in fact fine but I think we were expecting and hoping for a little more. We live in Auckland and the standard of restaurants there is pretty superb so maybe we are a little bit spoilt. In summation , I would say , give it a go and if we are in Rarotonga again we will probably give them another try also.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Went for dinner based on reviews read here and not disappointed, big portions and good price. Really tasty without being over spiced.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Bought dinner takeaway and regretted it.
Rarotonga is renowned for excellent food quality, which the Rickshaw is not included.
Bypass this for the Muri Bay Night Markets Open Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Rickshaw, PLEASE shut down and sell it to someone who knows how to cook food? Others also complained too?

1  Thank Peter S
Raroliving, Manager at The Rickshaw, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Would have been great if you had phoned or spoke to us directly with this feedback, as without knowing what exact dishes you had it is difficult to constructively address your weird comment about the flavour. We have been getting extremely positive feedback about our flavours and food, so would like to take your concerns seriously but are unable to in this instance.