“Very good for Alaska”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cordova
Reluctant Fisherman Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cordova
Denver, Colorado
“Very good for Alaska”
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We were here for more nights than anticipated due to bad weather and cancelled ferries. This place has definite pros and cons. Pros: good, comfortable beds, great views from some rooms, some very nice, helpful employees, and a good restaurant next door.
Cons: some not-so helpful staff, no internet in rooms (they say they do, but they don't - everyone there had to use internet in the very small lobby area), very thin walls (like paper),and the breakfast is coffee/tea/bread/hot oatmeal packets, two cold cereals.. that is it.
no fruit, no juice, nothing else. However, it is a really comfortable place, great location, reasonable management under difficult situaion, andt I would definitely stay there again !
Keep in mind it RAINS A LOT in this town!

Room Tip: get one with a view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank KdTra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kasilof
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife and I live in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula and typically work 24/7 during the summer months. We (she) decided we needed to get the heck out of town for a weekend. We chose the Reluctant Fisherman Inn and were not let down. We felt totally relaxed while there and enjoyed the harbor activity right in front of our room.
The front desk staff was wonderful and, though it lacks some amenities, ie: coffee pot, microwave, mini-fridge; we had an overall wonderful time. The beds are very comfortable and we both slept as we haven't in 6 months! The restaurant is first class and one must try their clam chowder. I would say it is the second best I have ever had (next to my wife's - obviously) I would give five stars if not for the lack of those amenities listed above. Will definitely recommend The Reluctant Fisherman to friends going to Cordova!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SSKKasilof
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Spent the weekend in Cordova bicycling and enjoying the incredible scenery. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and the price was competitive with other options in the area. I'll recommend to others and stay there if I visit Cordova again. The fast ferry "Chenega" is a terrific way to get to Cordova, a great experience. Thanks to the Alaska Tourist Information Assoc for info on the trip. Get their travel planner if you are visiting Alaska.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank John907
Alaska
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Nice view but gees the carpets were really dirty. Room smelled. I realize that Cordova has limited accomodations, but it does not stop the hotel from being basically clean. I would be RELUCTANT to stay here again. Hope Cordova has better B&B's cause if this is the best they can come up with.....well, I will skip Cordova next time.

If you are a guy, sport fishing, this is fine - otherwise - it is no great value and unpleasant. I checked out early.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Alaskanworker
Honolulu
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Stayed 5 nights at the Reluctant Fisherman Inn, which has recently been renovated. The harbor view room was large, very clean and the views of the fishing boats in the harobr amazing. Beds very comfortable and free wifi was great! However, you could visit this little inn, just to experience the food in their restaurant ... usually not fond of hotel food, we ate in the restaruant every night! The menu is small but has a great selection and the food was cooked to perfection. The oysters were truly the best I've EVER had, picked fresh from Prince William Sound. Go there and see for yourself!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank JackieMcBride
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Considering that we were going to a place that can only be reached by plane or ferry, our expectations were low, but we were okay with that. Therefore, we were quite surprised by the quality of the beds, sheets, comforters and towels. All were of excellent quality and made sleeping and bathing a total joy. Granted the inn isn't much to look at, but the harbor views are spectacular, and we were mesmerized while sitting on the deck watching the bald eagles flying overhead and the fishing boats coming and going. The views of the mountains surrounding the harbor and the endless daylight were awe inspiring. Yes, the facility is tired, and, yes, the owners are working on improvements, but the inn caters to those who fish or hike; it's not about luxury, so forget about a hair dryer. The best surprise was the dinner we had on our last night. The halibut was succulent, the steak juicy, and, oh, my goodness, the moist and delicious chocolate cake comfortably fed 4. We couldn't have been happier. So pack your rain gear and polartec and enjoy the beauty of Cordova at the Reluctant Fisherman.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ntarlin
Alaska
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Average or better than average for Cordova. The large deck outside the hotel was very nice. However the service at the restaurant was so so so so slow. My room looked directally out towards the parking lot. I had the pleasure of having a few Harleys parked right on the other side of my window. It sounded and felt like they were in the room when they started them up at 2:00 am. My colleague complained that her room smelt like urine. My room smelt musty and there was hair in the bathtub (that was an ick factor).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank northernaurora

Been to Reluctant Fisherman Inn? Share your experiences!