“A Little Adventure Worth Stopping For”
Review of Tiekel River Lodge

Tiekel River Lodge
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Glennallen
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 August 2012

So I am driving down highway 4 in the great state of Alaska and I am hungry for lunch, and I know it will be at least an hour to Valdez, probably a lot more with stops for glacier and waterfall viewing. This stretch of the highway is beautiful but not well settled, almost no human presence. Do I break out the beef jerky and trail mix, or...well look at that: a little place up ahead that serves lunch!

The Lodge restaurant is small and charming -- "old timey" I would say -- with a little counter and several tables, sharing space with souvenirs for purchase, and I would guess the check-in desk for the lodge. It's very clean and the owners are the staff. What's not to like?

I ordered the "Grilled Tiekel and Chips". What the heck is a Grilled Tiekel, you may ask? At least that day it was salami and ham with two cheeses, grilled on whole wheat bread. It was hot, fresh and delicious and I enjoyed it very much. The owners clearly have a sense of humor.

But I think the most surprising thing about the meal was that it was served with chips AND dip. If you think about all the restaurants you have ever had potato chips at, did you ever get served homemade chip dip with them? I think probably not. What a nice touch! And there is a story behind it.

You will just have to ask the proprietors to find out why.