“Secluded Paradise on Alaska Coast”
La Caleta in Sadie Cove
view from upstairs view from kitchen
Check Availability
Outside door
Sauna and showerhouse
La Caleta and the sauna
Dolly Varden trout
It takes lots of work to get this done!!!
Arrange to see the Katmai Brown bears across Cook Inlet
Let's see, bear viewing or sailing?
Fun day sailing on Sadie Cove
kayaking and tidepooling
High Tide
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 11 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Jessica K
“Secluded Paradise on Alaska Coast”
Reviewed August 16, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I don't even know where to start. This place was magical, to say the least. My husband and I stayed for 6 nights at La Caleta/Sailwood Adventures. Marcee and Willie (the couple who own the property) were amazing hosts. From the water taxi to the cabin, to the Chilean bottle of wine they left us to enjoy, they were just great. The cabin was built by Willie, and it is a work of art. It's cozy and has everything you need to enjoy your stay there, including many kayaks, a paddle boat, and misc things for the kitchen. There is a wood fired sauna and a bath house to enjoy and you even have an amazing view from the outhouse! The area that the cabin is located is very remote, which is what we were looking for. It almost feels like you own the entire cove. We kayaked every day and enjoyed watching all the wildlife. We saw a couple of black bears in the lagoon, tons of bald eagles everywhere, mountain goats on ridge across from the cabin, sea otters, seals, jellyfish... you name it. I could go on and on, but I'll just say... BOOK THIS PLACE. You won't regret it.

Your age range 25-34
Management Response
20 Aug 2017
Thank you for your kind words Jessica! We enjoyed meeting new friends from far away. Jessica and her husband were well prepared and up for adventure. Thanks for checking us out and including us in your Alaskan adventure! We look forward to seeing you folks again soon :-)
Take care, Marcee and Willie
janicet
El Sobrante
“Magical and Enchanting”
Reviewed August 9, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

My husband and I had 3 magical days at La Caleta. The home is absolutely stunning. Not just the views, which are magnificent but also the artistry of the home itself. We collected blue lip mussels (the sweetest mussels you could imagine), clams (there was an exceptionally low tide so we could harvest butter and little neck clams), we fished, hiked, read, played cards and connected with nature. Marcee and Willie are wonderful, kind and helpful people that are easy to connect with and call friends. The boat ride with Willie was very cool. Prepare to come back home revitalized and renewed.

Liked best: Location and beautiful home
Liked least: out house
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Large groups
Missy G
Akron, Ohio
“PRADISE!!”
Reviewed December 2, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

We spent a week at La Caleta in July with our two boys 11 and 13. It was the trip of a life time. we never heard any complaints about them being bored with no tv, internet, phone or video games. There was plenty of adventure and scenery to keep us all happy! We fished and kayaked everyday!!!. The house was comfortable and cozy. The sauna was a nightly treat for the whole family. We are already planning our next trip and would love to stay longer. Marcie and Willie were fabulous hosts! Everything was perfect.

The only tip I would have is don't forget towels for the sauna :)

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location and facilities
Travelling group: Teenagers
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Large groups
CheriGrim...
Kasilof, Alaska
“FANTASTIC!!!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 for a stay in June 2014
person found this review helpful

I am always looking for unique vacation spots locally for my anniversary, and this was by far the most unique and special place so far!!! It is just magical!!! The views and serenity we found there were unparalleled!!! We were visited by porpoises, sea otters, a family of river otters, and when the tide came up, the jellyfish that came right in to shore were amazing to watch. Even though it rained the second day we were there, the view was still beautiful!! The house is a fantastic work of art in itself, and it is so fun to wake up and have that view of the mountains every morning!!! We will be going back. Willie and Marcee are warm and welcoming and make you feel like you have been friends for years upon meeting them. As a local, I recommend this experience to anyone looking for a soul renewing alaskan experience!!!

Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The peacefulness and lack of people around
Liked least: Having to leave!!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Kimberly...
San Francisco
“Adventure, secluded, enchantment, magic, love, this place has it all”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

We stayed here for 3 nights with two families of four. Willie was a gracious and kind host. We had no idea what we were getting into, but this place delivered in spades. It is a one-hour boat ride to arrive in a heavenly cabin Willie built with his bare hands in a very rugged cove in the middle of Kachemak Bay State Park. The extreme tides exposed hundreds of starfish and anemones. We caught fresh fish with the children and cooked them over the open fire. We gathered mussels for a fresh seafood stew. The cabin itself is stunning. I brought a book and couldn't read past the first page, with so much to do and see, there simply wasn't time. At night we lit a fire in the Sauna and then tried to fall asleep while gazing at the full moon outside our floor to ceiling windows. There is no denying that an experience like this only comes along once in a lifetime. If you are looking for a luxury accommodations with fancy towels and linen service, this place is not for you. If you are looking for the true Alaskan experience with nature right outside your front door, then dive right in to heaven at Sadie Cove. Thanks so much, Willie!

Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
Steve P
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Unique and beautiful, but . . .”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

If I could, I would give the place itself a 5 but the management of the place a 2. I will start with the positive. This is a very special place. The location is one of a kind. The cabin is beautiful, unique, and provides stunning views. The wood heated sauna is great. However, I am disappointed to have to state that our stay was not completely positive. First, be warned that the "water taxi," which is required to get to the property, is an aluminum skiff, without seats. We had 5 people in our party and we were required to sit on milk crates while one of us had to stand. It was cold, bumpy and unpleasant even in good weather and just plain miserable on the ride back in the rain. To add insult to injury, they charged us $90 dollars PER PERSON for this ride (an additional $540 for our party, or $270 per night for our 2 night stay). This is water highway robbery! This is an additional and unavoidable cost because there is no way to get to the property without paying this fee. So if you think that you are renting this place for the advertised $85 per night per person, you are wrong. Next, the cabin was not filthy but could have been cleaner. There were mouse droppings on the kitchen countertops when we arrived and the kitchen ware had to be re-washed before we were comfortable using it. The cabin lacks sufficient comfortable seating. On a rainy day, if you wish to stay in and read a book, you can choose between hard wooden benches or old office furniture with worn cushions. Also, they provide a shower room which is adequate, but do not provide towels. They do not tell you this on their website. It was not communicated to us by email. We were forced to use our dirty clothing to dry off after a shower. They do advertise that they provide a "grill." I brought charcoal and planned to do a lot of grilling. When I arrived, I was disappointed to learn that the "grill" was a rock fire pit with a grate. This cannot be used in the rain because it can't be moved under cover and has no top. I left the charcoal there because I was not able to use it and didn't want to fly home with it. Finally, communication could be better. They want you to rely on their website for all information. The website is cumbersome and difficult to navigate. We were confused about where to meet the water taxi. It's on the site but under "Maps," and not addressed in the "Water Taxi" section. Their cancellation policy is strict but not highlighted or given it's own section in the website. It is included in the "reservations" section. We ran into an issue when one in our party had to leave Alaska early. We still had 5 in our party, one above their minimum party size, yet they wanted to charge us for the missing person's 2 nights and the water taxi ride because they consider a reduction in size to be a "cancellation." We negotiated and split the difference, but this issue could have been avoided by clearly setting out this strict policy in emails exchanged as arrangements were made. This was not done.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: location / views / uniqueness and beauty of the cabin
Liked least: Cost / Communication
Travelling group: Other
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
16 Aug 2013
It is too bad that Steve P. had such a "miserable" time during his visit. I am not surprised that he found the communication lacking, as I never met him until the day he left our cabin.
I did, however, communicate quite a bit with his wife, Karyn. She and I first communicated by email on Feb. 5,2013. I have 3 pages and over 23 emails of communication with Karyn between the first week of February through the 10th of August. In these emails I answered many questions about the specifics of water taxiing, halibut fishing, distances, bathrooms and the cancellation policy.
On Feb. 12th Karyn Steere replies, "There are 6 in my party. How do I send you the deposit? and perchance, what is your cancellation policy?"
I directed her to the website because the information is printable, and I don't have it memorized; but the information is there and it is clear. On the website there is a heading called "reservations, prices and policies"Most visitors find it clear and easy to use. Karyn and Steve noted the change in the size of their party; last minute, the night before their visit.
I spent many emails talking about the water taxi, our prices are the same as other companies in Homer. I do not use automatic pay buttons on our listings so that I can be sure people understand the remote nature of our wilderness location. We in no way mislead people about the water taxi transportation. People are usually aware that there is a boat ride involved and seek us out because of it. There are photos and descriptions of our water taxi, it is a 24' open and quite capable aluminum skiff. There are cushioned coolers and crates for seating. On this particular trip, one 19 yr. old stood next to Willie and did not complain. Willie tries to do his best to make people comfortable on the changing ocean surface by slowing down in rough weather and other boat wakes. Not all travelers are comfortable off the grid and in the wilderness. These folks may have been more familiar and comfortable in a conventional hotel/ B&B setting on the road system.
I spend quite a bit of time with folks making sure they know where to meet Willie and the boat. Because people are oftentimes strangers to Harbors, I direct them to the printable map on the website. Generally, except for returning customers, I repeat the directions by voice on the phone as I did with Karyn the night they went to the spit for pizza. On the 8th of August, she emailed me that she still had not looked at the web site.
Most people find the load and launch ramp easily after the directions on the website's map page. Also, on the day of your water taxi, Willie is standing by on the phone to help make sure you find him and parking easily. Many customers say our website is easy to use and it has all the information needed. But one does need to look at and read through the information on the site.
The information about towels, sleeping bags and limited bedding is communicated.
Not everyone who visits Alaska is well prepared for the experience. Weather can change quickly and cold, wet weather can frustrate a long planned and anticipated vacation.
Please read all the reviews. thanks, Marcee and Willie
Sandra T
Blantyre
“A slice of heaven”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

What an amazing find. Willie and Marcie have built the perfect getaway. If you want to relax, kayak, fish, relax, spot eagles or sea otters, relax without hundreds of other tourists this is the place for you. Sadie Cove is beautiful, La Caleta simply wonderful.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing