“"Alaskan Rainforest Canoe and Nature Walk" Adventure: Loved It!!”

Alaska Travel Adventures
US$141.75*
Mendenhall Glacier Rafting Tour from Juneau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Alaska Travel Adventures operates more adventure tours in Alaska than any other company. From whale watching to white water rafting and kayaking, all of our trips feature personalized attention and provide you with a chance to experience Alaska's natural splendor. Best of Juneau Glacier View Sea Kayaking Gold Mining & Panning Adventure Gold Panning & Salmon Bake Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon Bake Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure Mendenhall Lake Kayaking Adventure Mendenhall Lake Kayak & Salmon Bake Whale Watching Adventure Whale Watching & Salmon Bake Whale Watching & King Crab Station Whale Watching & Sea Life Discovery Custom Hummer Excursion
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 8 August 2017

This excursion offered by Holland America was expensive, but worth every penny! (And I don't say that about all HAL excursions!!) The five of us (My husband and me, along with our daughter and our grandchildren -- ages 14 and 17), were amazed and challenged by the scope of this adventure. We took the 4.5 hour Level 2 Helicopter Glacier Trek and were so glad we chose this one.

After preliminary instructions, we were outfitted with rain and wind proof jacket and pants, hard shell mountaineering boots, and gloves, we took off in the helicopter for an amazing 20 minute flight over the glacier and surrounding area, and landed on the Juneau Icefields. Once we landed we met our two guides who helped us with the rest of our equipment, including helmet, harness crampons and ice axe. we were briefed with a demonstration on how to traverse the crevices and walk on the ice, and then we had a practice session to get comfortable.

Then we were off for a two hour (two mile trek) up, down and sideways on the glacier. we also stopped at one of the many blue water rivulets and filled our water bottles up with pure glacier water!

The experience was challenging and daunting at times, but the guides (both female, I might add) were excellent in making sure we were safe and using our ice axes and crampons properly. They were also happy to take pictures of our group at many of the scenic sights. the pictures captured our feeling of fun and accomplishment!

One suggestion I would make that is also listed in the pamphlet is to wear some sort of mid calf or athletic sock (as opposed to the low cut socks you may be used to wearing inside your gym or running shoes.) when you are getting your gear before you board the helicopter, you will take off your shoes and put on the hard shell mountaineering boots. Having higher socks will give you a little bit more protection and help to prevent the boots from possibly rubbing.

All the staff associated with North Star Trekking was fantastic. For most of them this was a summer job like no other! And for us, it was a summer adventure like no other!

There are newer reviews for Alaska Travel Adventures

Reviewed 8 August 2017

We had a great time on this. We saw 4 Whales and it was so interesting. Terry the captain did a great job and his assistant told us many facts about whales that was so interesting. The time went by really fast. The boat was so clean and comfortable. I would do this again. We really enjoyed it.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

My mom and I went on the Glacier view sea kayaking excursion. We had a great time and enjoyed the beautiful scenes and the wildlife. Our tour guide, Cristian was very kind and knowledgeable in the glacier and the wildlife. Cristian was also very patient and was always willing to help us when we straggling behind. Overall, we had a great time.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

We had an incredible kayaking adventure to see Mendenhall Glacier. Our guide, Chris, was incredible. It was the highlight of our Alaskan cruise.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

My family was on a cruise and stopped one day in Juneau. My daughter and I decided to go kayaking. The guides told us we had a top 10 day! We had a spectacular view of the Mendenhall Glacier, saw salmon spawning in a small creek and were 15 ft from bald eagles.
Chris was an awesome guide who assisted my daughter and I, who weren't the most experienced of kayakers. Chris was knowledgeable of the wildlife in the area and was a pleasure to have as a guide.