See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 17, 2017 via mobile

For Juneau this is the best hotel. The restaurant and bar have the best view imaniganible. It over looks the Yacht Harbor and Douglas island. Beer is fresh and cold. Food is available, rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. Centrally located. Close to downtown. On a major bus route. I live this place.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2016

If you are a hotel snob and expect mints on your pillow for a 5 star rating, you won't like it here. I think another reviewer put it best: "Would I take my wife here on vacation? - No. Would I stay here if I was in town and needed basic accommodations? Yes."

This is no Hilton but the room was clean and comfortable and service was good. They do offer an airport shuttle with 48 hour notice. The Korean owners seemed nice and make sure everything is a it should be. Maid service is on request only or every other day if you stay by the week which was fine with me. Hotel is located about a mile and a half from the cruise ship docks. You can walk it but taxis are readily available.

Its an older hotel and constructed of wood which creaks when people walk. If you have a clumsy upstairs neighbor it will be a problem but generally it's ok. Rooms facing the harbor have a balcony which was nice but can be noisy from the traffic below. Rooms farthest from the restaurant have a weak Wi-Fi signal but closest to the restaurant, can be noisy. The only complaint I would have is there is no Air Conditioning in the rooms so it get a bit warm and stuffy but it's Alaska so just open the balcony door for a while if you have a harbor view room.

I did dine at the restaurant a few times. It was empty except for a few guys having dinner over a game of pool. Tried Fish and Chips and a burger another time. Food was a little greasy but good and service was great.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I would but I would also keep other options in mind.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank AdvTravelR
Reviewed July 5, 2016

The rooms are clean and descent for all your basic needs and the staff is always friendly. Unfortunately, you have to get cups from the restaurant or the front desk. They have a small food/snack area where you can buy pops and such with cash. They have a 48 hour minimum request for a free shuttle to the airport or the downtown cruise ship docks. They have strict rules about the towels and sheets. for example if you leave blood stains on them or take the towels, it is likely that it will come out of your deposit. They have to special order them online as they like to have matching towels and sheets for all of the rooms, nothing is mixed matched. The owners are from Korea and bought it when the inn was going downhill a couple years ago. They are trying to fix the reputation of the inn as the previous owners let it go to hell. They have a new Korean menu added on to the American menu. The American menu is average

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank samanthaprebeg
Reviewed June 12, 2016 via mobile

The Breakwater advertises a free airport and ferry shuttle but I found this was not quite true. When I arrived in Juneau and called for the airport shuttle I was told I has to give 48 hours notice for the shuttle. They refused to pick me up so I had to pay $22 for a cab. They did arrange a shuttle to the ferry terminal but when I got there the shuttle driver insisted he get paid. It was very uncomfortable as it was arranged by the hotel and supposed to be free. I didn't end up paying. But beware "free shuttle" is NOT the case at this hotel. Otherwise the room was adequate but the walls very thin and you could hear everything going on through the night. This is a very budget hotel, there were not even cups or glasses in the room to get a drink, and I'd recommend staying elsewhere if at all possible.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Tasha S
Reviewed June 10, 2016

I'm so bummed out right now! I rented a room for a week from the breakwater because my kids and I have been living in our tiny RV and we really wanted a break from it, and a shower, but it's the biggest mistake I ever made. When we got into the room there was a thick layer of moldy, filmy water in the toilet, the floors hadn't been vacuumed, there was an old fridge that stunk, and was unplugged just sitting in there, the room was straight up gross. But I didn't say anything because I had just got a job there. (Big mistake) They told me they put a $300 hold on my card just in case there were damages. I knew on our 4th day there that they were looking for reasons to keep the $300 when one of the girls told me they were gonna have to charge me for the towels we used because I had washed my face and got make up on one of them. I called my card just now, and they only returned $120. So $180 for a towel? The guy said there was a cleaning fee for a stain on the floor, one which I'm sure was there, considering the room was practically condemned. I'm furious. I'm struggling to take care of 3 kids alone, and we just wanted a few nights of heat, beds and baths. I will never stay there again, and I hope I can fight this somehow, especially when we were only in the rooms in the evening because I work all day. I'm really disappointed in them.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family