All reviewsgrocery storeferry terminalalaska state museumdowntown juneauthe shuttle driverthird floorfree internetbudget hotelthree nightsan easy walkwalking distancelocation was perfectwould stay here againin townliving areabed was comfortablehotel shuttle
Reviewed June 2, 2018

Yikes!

This place is in need of some serious help! We had a family event in which we rented out ~10+ rooms for our group and we all had a very similar experience (with one exception), this place is the worst.

To start I walked my aunt and uncle to their room when we got in after traveling from Detroit, with a long layover, at around 11pm- to find their room, a room that was apparently for trash storage. Trash everywhere! The bed unmade, towels all over the floor, it took the front office staff almost an additional hour to find an alternative room, about 1.5 hours total for our three rooms that night.

I called to have our room made up around 10 am when we were leaving for the day.... after a few trips in and out of the room, when we returned for the night at 10PM- the room was finally made. We were on the 3rd floor, my parents on the first floor- had the one exception of excellent housekeeping experience with a very friendly and helpful lady. The rest of my extended family and friends had a similar experience to mine... Towels were not replenished, trash was rarely taken out, beds linens were pulled up over clothing and never changes throughout our 5 day stay. Conditioners, shampoos soaps never stocked. I think that they pretty much pulled the linens up and that was it. ON TOP OF IT - I HAD MEDICATIONS STOLEN FROM MY ROOM! My costume jewelry was untouched, my generic medications were left alone, but the medications I specifically counted out for the trip- I turned up 3 days short....I was encouraged to file a police report.

Having reserved a two room space to share with my sister, when she checked out I asked the front office gentleman if I could remain in the room or if I had to move, or if I could stay. He told me I could stay. When my sister was waiting for the 5am shuttle, it did not appear until after 530am... (after they told her she could not have a 530 shuttle- only on the hour) this is also when she called me to say that I needed to move rooms. Jamie, the front office desk worker stated that she would have to call her manager, apologized to him, not to me for the inconvenience, and that I would have to move because the guy who was working there was not properly trained..... and this is my problem because... no it should not be. Train your staff properly or do not leave them alone on a Sunday because you want your weekends off.

I could go on and on about the little things but, in summary, if you want a dirty room, without clean towels or linens, if you want to be spoken to with a rude attitude, sleep in an uncomfortable bed, not get a shuttle in time for a flight, etc. - Oh I almost forgot, no heat! In Alaska! Because the gentleman that could help us went home for the night- only to find our place a sweat box, because there is no in room thermostat, the next few nights. Then this is your place.

Otherwise, find another place.

Room Tip: Get a ground room floor if you want any housekeeping services, be prepared to be woken t/o the night from people on the floor above.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Management response:Responded July 5, 2018

Sorry for your inconvienece. Glad you found your medication.

Reviewed May 15, 2018

Nice greeting at check in? Nooo!! I was told the rules and the consequences for breaking them. I'm 75 years old with three pieces of luggage and was given a room on the 3rd floor with no elevator. Room was blah. Could hear the TV from next room. Left a three dollar tip (I always take care of the housekeeper). She greeted me at the room as we were checking out. Later, when I realized I had left my ipad charger and cord plugged into the socket to the right of the door, I called the hotel and they said there was nothing in the room when they cleaned it. Lastly, all rooms are accessible from outside and they still have keys to these doors and no safe. Never again.

Room Tip: Find a nice room somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Jamie H, Operations Supervisor at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm sorry to see that you stay was unsatisfactory. I will have a chat with our front desk and housekeeping staff. We have gone keyless since your stay. If you have time to contact us directly to see how we can resolve the issues, that would be great.

Reviewed May 2, 2018

Great location, it was about 5-10 minute walking distance from downtown Juneau. The Sandpiper Cafe is right next to the hotel, so it made it convenient to get an early breakfast and start the day.
The hotel is basic, a little outdated, but clean and good value for the price and location. The bathtub/shower looked old, but water pressure and heat was good. One of the days housekeeping skipped my room.
I don’t think most people stay in Juneau for a 4 or 5 star hotel, they just need a clean place to sleep at night, and Driftwood is adequate.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Jamie H, Operations Supervisor at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Im sorry to see that housekeeping missed your room, this issue will be addressed. Were glad you enjoyed your stay, come back soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2018

I stayed at the Driftwood for 3 nights in early February and had mixed experiences with my stay, but I left happy and would stay here again.

When I arrived at the airport, the shuttle that I thought I had prearranged didn't turn up. After using the courtesy phone at the airport to call the hotel, they arranged for the shuttle to come and collect me. Not a huge issue, just some additional time spent waiting at the airport.

Check in was easy enough and relatively speedy. When I got to my ground floor room I discovered something less than ideal which I brought to the staff's attention, and they arranged for it to be promptly fixed, and did offer to move me rooms. I decided to stay in the room, but had issues with the heat all night (it was stuck on 82F), so I went to see reception in the morning to see if someone could fix it. Reception insisted on upgrading my room given the issue the night before and the heat issue. My new room was nice and clean and had a little kitchenette.

I asked to reschedule my shuttle back to the airport to an earlier timeslot so i could go out to Mendenhall which was no problem.

There is a supermarket nice and close by which is handy to buy breakfast and other items and it is only a short stroll to downtown Juneau.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Jamie H, Operations Supervisor at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Thank you for you much appreciated feedback. I'm sorry you had some issues, but I'm very glad we were able to address them and make you happy. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 1, 2018

Fluctuations in water temperature and pressure while showering. Shampoo and conditioner were provided and of good quality, but were in a plastic pouch that was very difficult to open. I finally resorted to using my teeth, and ended up with a mouthful of shampoo. Towels were fantastic, and sheets and pillows were good too. The tub and shower were stained. They were quite clean (like the rest of the room), but you could really see they were stained. The tissues provided were horrid: sandpaper. When I arrived to check in, there was one person in front of me. It was taking a painfully long time, and I had a meeting to get to so I finally gave up and asked to just leave my luggage at the front desk and come back later. I did come back later, and even though there was no one else in line, and it was a different employee behind the desk, it still took a painfully long time. Not much for electrical outlets and no alarm clock. There are no five star hotels in Juneau, and while the Driftwood has its down sides, for the price, this is probably a decent choice.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Jamie H, Operations Supervisor at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2018

Thank you for you feedback, it is helpful as we strive to make each stay wonderful. I do apologize for the long check-in, and I will look into this. We are in the process of upgrading and updating, I do hope your next stay will be all that you expect and more.