“Be Aware”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Soldotna
Escondido, California
“Be Aware”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My brother and I went to Kenai to watch my Grandson play baseball and asked the visitors bureau for a hotel recomendation (Should have gone to trip advisors 1st). They pointed us to Soldotna Inn-their rate was $120/night. Checked in early, and went straight to game (should of checked room 1st.). Returned at 12. Room was stifling hot, over 80, with outside temp of 50. Seedy, dirty carpet, broken leg on table, lamp broken, no baseboards, bathroom door sticks on floor. Tried to get to sleep but room was still at 78 with window open and two fans running after an hour. Finally figured out that room is over kichen in restaurant and even though they closed at 11, the heat just keeps coming. Might be comfortable if -30 outside. Went to nite clerk who said he would move us to two bedroom for another $100 because they were full. I was irrate enough that he finally "found" another room @ 1 in the morning. The other room was cleaner and a little cooler but no more than 2 star (especially @ $120/nite). When I checked out in AM clerk said owner knows about heat problem but has done nothing about it. Advice: pay attention to these reviews and do not go to visitor center as they are probably being paid ar getting a kickback!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 19 July 2010

WOW!! This is the first time I have ever wrote a review but find it necessary to warn you all. I normally stay at the best western or Aspen but they were booked so I am trying Soldotna Inn. I come down here all the time for work. I am so mad this place can even be in business. $180 a night, omg where am I at, Bahamas, Hawaii, Fiji. No I am in Soldotna. I am 40 years old, born and raised in Alaska. I have never paid so much money to stay in such filth. I am not joking at all folks. FILTH!!! I am so mad about it I am writing this as I sit in this nasty room. Where do I start. As I look around I will just write stuff I see. The room smells musty and old. The carpet is stained every where. I took a damp rag and wiped it on the carpet a few times, so dirty and from what. Now I look at the bottom of my socks, gross from the carpet after only 45 mins. I will always where my slippers in here. Next the walls are scuffed and dirty. I can see the dark lines where the studs are. Hasn't been painted in, well maybe ever. The desk I have this laptop on is 2 feet by 2 feet, and it wobbles. The chairs to this table are like just a bit better then your basic plastic lawn chair. The three crummy small pics on wall are not at all level. The TV is from the 70's and you can hardly read the writing on the screen its so bad. The cabinets that hold the TV look like some cheap homemade deals, the cabinet doors wont even shut. I do not think they vacuumed before me because there is dirt, small rocks, a un-chewed peace of gum, little peaces of paper, basic filth all over the carpet. The mattress if awful. Way warped and short. The comforter is very old and torn. The closet is a corner of the room. The wall paper in the bathroom, hahaha they just ripped the top layer off exposing the old stuff and didn't even get it all. They just left parts of the old paper up that they couldn't get to come off. The sink is way dirty, couple hairs in it and the faucet hasn't even been wiped down, someone else's mess on it. Man every thing in this room is lame. The mirrors are both dirty. The bathroom counter, SICK!!! The inn sits right on a main road so its loud. I just checked the pillows, two of four have some nasty stains under the cover, yuck! I know this all sounds picky but when you pay 180 a night they should at least have this rickety old room clean. The sheets are scary, I think I sleep in my sleepin bag. I cant believe I got stuck in this place. I feel like I need to wash my hands. Everywhere I look there is grime or filth. The back of the restaurant bellow me is also gross. As you walk by the backdoor of the restaurant it smells like the dump because all of the garbage piled up right out the door. As I looked in the back of it as I walked by the kitchen it looked as bad as my room. Honestly if I ever have this place as my only option again, I will bring my tent. This place is a frickin joke!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Alaskafisherman

Travellers are raving about these Soldotna hotels

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 January 2008

The Inn is just another average older local establishment. We were in room #206. the room was non-smoking, but the halls and the room have that tell tale smoke smell that non-smokers can pick-up on.

The bed was worn out! I told the desk clerk and I hope they replace it soon. When I woke up, I felt like I was laying in a trench.

The room overall provided what we needed. A place to store our gear, a shower, a fridge, and a bed. The sunset veiw from the outside walkway was spectacular.

WiFi was intermittent at times. I think somehow weather related. However, the lobby had a decent contiental breakfast with at least three computers.

Friendly staff. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we were there to visit relatives. There was a beer tasting on the Saturday night and a wine tasting on the Sunday night we were there, but again, we were with family instead.

In summary, for the price we paid, I would consider staying there again, but would certainly question the condition of the bed. If the bed had been better, I would have upped my ranking.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bed
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teamfyr
San Diego
Reviewed 25 November 2007

I stayed at the Soldotna Inn for a week while attending to some family business, and I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, the hotel is clearly not a four-star property, but it's clean, comfortable, and the ownership and staff bend over backward to accommodate their guests' needs. The complimentary breakfast goes way beyond a typical continental offering, with cereals, a huge assortment of pastries, fresh fruit, and more.

The microwave oven and small fridge in the room were gratefully appreciated and used every day. Linens were clean and of good quality, and housekeeping was attentive. WiFi was not 100 percent reliable, but good enough so that I could actually get some work done. As a bonus, Mykel's restaurant, which is part of the hotel, was outstanding.

I arrived with a bad attitude, a lot of work to do, and not wanting to be there. The Soldotna Inn made all the difference in the world, buffering a difficult week and providing a welcome refuge every evening.

• Liked — Location, spacious and comfortable room
  • Disliked — Really, no complaints
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Jackie555
Heiloo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 June 2007

I must have gotten the worst room in this place, #201. I knew I was in for a treat when I received an actual key for the room on the big plastic identification keyring. It was the last one available, located on the ground floor right next to the main office. This was the smokiest non-smoking room I haver ever stayed in. After the first night I realized cigarette smoke was coming in through the bathroom fan so I kept the bathroom door closed. Smoke also came in through the window since it was 5 feet from the communal ash try and break chair. The bell tied the door to the office could be heard every time someone went in or out of there, even with my windows closed. The walls were paper thin and I heard my neighbor wake-up very early to Headline News for an hour every moning, as well as people walking upstairs. The room was average decor for a fishing town and clean enough. The old lighting was laughable. At least there were lots of cable channels and I listened to the music channels while doing work. The free continental breakfast was nice and there is Wi-Fi in that room. The adjoining restaurant and bar, Mykels, was all smoke-free and very good. Great lunch special for salmon salad sandwich and homemade soup for $6.

• Liked — cable music channels
  • Disliked — noise, smoke
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
Wyoming
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Our room was clean, but the upholstery on the two chairs, and the sofa, were old and worn. The carpet was clean, and the bath was also nice and clean. The mattress was old also, but because of an added foam mattress on top, it wasn't too bad. The towels in the bathroom were also pretty worn - almost threadbare. The linens on the bed, however, were just fine, and the bed was made correctly. The pillows were unfluffable.
The Wifi connection was excellent, and there were LOTS of channels on the TV. The staff was very good, and the breakfast area was lovely.

• Liked — Location for fishing and at $139/night, one of the less expensive hotels.
  • Disliked — Worn upholstery and noisy thoroughfare nearby.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WYtravelers
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 March 2005

Lots of new changes due to new management! Rooms have been updated since we stayed last time. Added new breakfast area and public computers. Lots of board games and books for kids in the lobby. Excellent staff and un-be-lievable restaurant!

• Stayed December 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
1.6 km away
Eagle Rock Lodge
#3 of 5 in Kenai
0.9 km away
Best Western King Salmon Motel

Been to Soldotna Inn? Share your experiences!