“Fantastic weekend retreat!”

Hyatt Regency Jing Jin City Resort and Spa
Ranked #36 of 1,357 Hotels in Tianjin
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My best friend and I had enough of Beijing's heat and pollution and picked the Hyatt Jing Jin as a quick weekend getaway in July 2012. It was a fabulous decision and we had a wonderful time. Prior to our arrival I spoke with Ella, of guest services, who helped to arrange our transportation out there and our final accommodations. She was wonderful, as was the rest of the staff including Stella and Elizabeth.

As the car out to Hyatt JJ was quite expensive, we decided to take the train to Tianjin, from where the hotel arranged for one of their cars to pick us up. The train out was 66 RMB for first class (55RMB for second), took 33 minutes and left every 10 mins. The driver picked us up at the exit, with a big sign making it easy for us to find him. The ride took an hour and cost a flat 280RMB.

The hotel is insanely huge and ornate in design. The online pictures just do not do it justice. When we walked in we were warmly welcomed and found that because the club wing wasn't open we had been upgraded to an executive suite for no extra cost. Our room had a dinning area, living room, bedroom, massive double his & hers closet, bathroom and two toilets. Two huge connecting patios we just off the sliding glass doors. The hotel also offered us club room additional benefits for a nominal amount, which we decided to upgrade to.

For R&R, we went to the gym, which was quite spacious, lots of windows and excellent equipment. It looked like it wasn't used that often but they quickly set out lots of towels and bottled water. There were stretch balls, yoga mats, weights, machines, etc. Only downside was that he AC has been off, prior to our arrival so the room was hot. I would advise giving them 30 minutes notice so that they can prep. After that we jumped into the lovely indoor pool. Note, it is not heated but it is in a solarium of sorts so the water wasn't too chilly (can't speak for the winter). The wooden doors leading out to the lounge chairs are all under repair which means that you couldn't use the out door area. However, the steam, sauna and jacuzzis were all nice.

The hot springs were closed but with 24 hours notice they could clean out one of the soaking rooms which we could have access to for 2 hours for 800 +15% RMB. From what I understand they haven't been open for 3 months minimum so we decided to pass on that option, especially with the price being a factor.

While we didn't use the spa, it looked lovely, as did the bowling alley, squash court, huge kids play area, ping pong tables, etc. The outdoor grounds were lovely, with an outdoor ice skating rink that looked like it would have been really fun in the winter. The gardens are equally massive, with huge villas in the back.

A drawback of that the grounds & facilities is that they are so large the hotel just does not seem to have the adequate number of staff or resources to properly take care of them. As a result they have focused their resources on the central parts of the hotel and left the periphery parts of the hotel to decay somewhat. We were walking around these outdoor parts of the hotel and were repeatedly stopped by staff, asked what we were doing, where we were going and strongly discouraged from walking around. I understand their concerns and I didn't see anyone else walking around. This emphasis on concentration of resources on central parts of the hotel meant that the outdoor pool and rock climbing wall was unusable unfortunately. That being said the central facilities were fantastic and their conference space both impressive and enormous.

On our last day there, we had a great breakfast in the Glass House and enjoyed suntanning on our room's HUGE porch with excellent room service mojitos.

All in all a wonderful trip, great service, excellent food, wonderful central facilities. Despite some of the facilities short comings, it never once negatively impacted our trip there. Highly, highly recommend this hotel for a lovely weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Call 24 hrs in advance if you want to use the hot springs.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank syg205

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Staff have to be among the friendliest and most helpful in the world. Nice facilities. Package deals a bit too complicated for me to figure out, but great visit overall.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank bjbabe
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife and three young children went to this hotel over the weekend, to get away from Beijing.

The hotel's massive size and odd architecture makes you feel you have arrived in Disney's enchanted castle - if Disney had decided to build it right in the middle of nowhere...

We enjoyed a suite in the Regency part of the hotel. This was one of the best rooms we stayed in, very large but well organized, with bedroom, living room, huge bathroom (jacuzzi tub and separate "rain" shower), two balconies
and a stone spa pool. The bed itself was very comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. Cleanliness
was impeccable.

Food at the hotel is OK, but nothing exceptional. Nothing was bad, but nothing was amazing. You won't be surprised.

Activities are more for adults, with the spa and the nearby golf. For our kids, we tried the playroom, but there was woefully little to do. Nearly no toys and only one or two painting activities. One of the managers informed us this would be expanded soon - so I will wait until then to take my kids back. The pool itself is very nice: large, clean, with two kids pools. One of the nicest pool areas I have been to, and the kids really enjoyed that.

The staff is incredibly attentive. In our short 24 hour stay, we had at least 5 different managers walk up to us to ask if everything was OK and whether they could do anything for us. Sometimes, three times in the same meal (which is a little too much...). This provided us with the opportunity to give feedback.

Overall, a good weekend stay and a welcome change from Beijing. We will definitely return but hope the playroom will have been improved by then. In any case, if you bring along some games, DVDs and an iPad, you should be able to keep the kids busy during a short stay!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Frédéric B
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Overall, the hotel is serviceable except for that fact that you have to pay for almost every activity other than the fitness center and swimming pool. We took our 1.5 year old nephew into the kiddie swimming pool and suddenly, I felt a stabbing pain in my foot. I looked down and prayed that it was just a rock but low and behold, I had a rusty screw jammed into my foot. I pulled it out but thankfully it didn't cut far into the flesh. I then looked into the pool and to my horror, found another rusty screw. I'm just glad it wasn't my nephew or another toddler that stepped on one of the screws. I can't even imagine how horrific that would have been. The staff came over and was of no real help and explained the two screws away as probably coming from some toy a child likely brought into the pool. The concierge said they would have a doctor come in the next 30 minutes to attend to my wound. 35 minutes later, they changed course and said they had a car and would take me to the local hospital instead. Bad idea because it truly was a local hospital. (While in an examination room waiting for the doctor, another doctor came in to get some gauze, dropped it on the floor, paused for a second, picked it up, and took it to the next room.) Suffice it to say, I chose to get the tetanus injection somewhere else which effectively ended our weekend vacation a day and a half early. Nothing was offered by the hotel as compensation on their own accord. Though we left, the rest of our family stayed and went to the pool the next day where they figured out the reason for the 2 screws. The hotel has a regular 'fun activity' called 'fun fishing' where they dump a bunch of magnetic fish (with screws in their bodies) into the kiddie pool so kids can fish them out. It's outrageous that they can be so careless as to use the same pool for this game when they could easily use an inflatable smaller pool for this and that the staff is so lacking in oversight to not even scan the pool afterwards.

The only bright spot is the Glass House Restaurant. Their buffet is delicious and the staff there are very warm and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank PizzaRoll
Reviewed 24 April 2011

My husband and I spent a night at this hotel after an extremely stressful working week. We were looking for a chance to relax without spending a fortune, and this Hyatt provided the perfect chance! It is somewhat in the middle of nowhere between Beijing and Tianjin, but the choice of location is due to the presence of mineral hot springs (which guests can enjoy both indoors and outdoors, in public areas or private suites); anyway the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service between the resort and the Tianjin Railway Station (less than 30 minutes away from Beijing by fast train).

The resort is impressive both outside and inside, with everything you could expect from a Hyatt. It is a few years old but looks and feels brand new, and the staff is extremely helpful with a good proficiency in English. We started the weekend with a round of golf at the nearby course; the hotel provided transportation free of charge (but we were told this was an exception). We returned in time for dinner at the Glass House, one of the restaurants, and tried their abundant yet reasonably priced Easter Buffet; again the staff was extremely courteous and offered us two glasses of red wine free of charge. We then visited the beautifully decorated Balneum Spa, where we had one of the best massages we have ever experienced in China. We wanted to try the outdoor spa too but having decided to visit the resort at the very last minute, we did not have the necessary swimwear (we could have bought it at their shop but preferred not to).

The room was spacious, elegantly decorated, and extremely clean. The water pressure in the shower was wonderfully strong; obviously no tub was provided, or guests would not make use of the spa services. We had a rinvigorating sleep and in the morning took the shuttle bus back to the Tianjin Railway Station. All in all, a perfect stay, especially considering the room rates (around 1000 RMB for a Deluxe King Bed)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adntar
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I had the pleasure of staying here mid november for 3 nights with a colleague. From the minute we walked in the service was impecable. We are 2 aussie girls and virtually all the staff knew us by name. We were treated like royalty in a most sincere manner. While i wouldnt call this hotel over the top opulent, everything about thisplace is very GRAND. It is a massive hotel, but still ambient and warm. The staff are much obliging in every way. Whilst we sat at the bar to have our drink after dinner every night(which brings me to another great comment-back to that later) on one of the evenings the hotel manager introduced herself-now ive stayed in my fair share of 5 star hotels around the globe and that has never happened before! When we went to dinner,the head chef took us around to each part of the seperate buffets and talked us through the incredible selection of global cuisines-each station with 2 chefs to cook fresh for your selection! another first for me! Twin room with single beds was decent in size with a nice country view and priced at ridiculously low prices than im used to-the blue skies came out in tianjin too which was unexpected! during our stay we were also greeted by head of administration and also head of hospitality..manager and all gave us their personal cards and even contacted the shanghai grand hyatt to inform them that we were on our way to them after our tianjin stay! Now two small critisisms that i must share-it was a little far from the city itself(around 1 hour by car) and the other is that there were no in room movies other than some english generic channels. the latter is easy to get over given the absolutely flawless spa that they have in the hotel-its called the balneum spa. it has hot and cold certified japanese springs with enough staff to tend to your every need. we had full body massages one night and a very long facial and massage the following night and at ridiculously low prices! the spa was majestic and like nothing ive ever seen before in all my 5 start travels. i hate being away from my kids but this place was so restful and calming that i forgot where i was!. I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend this hotel,in fact i look forward to my next work trip to tianjin to fit in some much needed rest and papmering during working travel. You must stay here!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank lingre
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We took our entire 40 person office from Beijing to the resort for an overnight retreat. The trip from the CBD took 1 1/2 hours by bus. Not bad. The Resort looks daunting from the road and you think you will find a facility that is in bad taste and overdone. We were all extremely, pleasantly surprised. The lobby, while enormous, is tasteful and elegant. The staff is superb: helpful without hovering. The guest rooms are calm, fully equipped, quiet and the beds are extremely comfortable and inviting. The Glass House restaurant puts on a to-order breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet with modern food stations and plentiful variety. The food was exquisite (and I have travelled the world). Nothing was wanting and it was beautifully prepared, served to perfection, fresh and delicious. My colleague and I sampled the spa with a foot massage. Clean, quiet, excellent massage. And we had a bowling tournament on their 8 lane bowling alley and we all had a blast (shoes provided!) The indoor pool complex is huge, modern, and something you have to see! The conference facilities were perfect. Yes, this is a resort sitting by itself, but perfect for a get away for a few days of relaxation and an ideal location for an offsite conference, retreat or other event (didn't try the golf course, though we have hosted a tournament there in the last 6 months, and the reports were glowing). This is Hyatt Regency at its best. The hotel is enormous, and I suspect things will fill in over the next several years as they do in China. Try it now while it is still a fabulous value and not crowded.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business