“Superb location, excellent rooms at Kovalam beach hotel”

Kovalam Beach Hotel
Ranked #30 of 92 Kovalam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2016

We booked Kovalam beach hotel through OYO rooms, so got a good price. The location of this hotel could not have been better. Just a 1 minute walk to the best beach in Kovalam - Hawa beach. We were very happy from the response and support of OYO rooms, whose staff was present at the hotel at all times. The hotel staff is not so good, so if you book it directly, then may face some difficulties. So i would suggest to book via OYO rooms. The room, for the price, was amazimg to say the least, beautifully decorated, good quality bed and other furniture, big size LED TV, seperate dressing area adjacent to the bathroom, a big balcony facing the sea, etc. However, on the New year eve night, we were forced to avail so called "gala dinner" which was an absolute let-down. The food was so bad, that we went out for dinner again, after having being forced to pay here. We felt looted due to this. We had all other meals at the restaurants on the Light house beach, which is at walking distance from the hotel. All in all, Kovalam beach hotel is very good for stay, not good for food, and also good for the location.

Room Tip: Book through OYO rooms and ask for sea facing room, only upper floors have the view. Check the room...
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Balaji_2989

Reviewed 25 April 2016

very nice hotel. The staffs are cooperative and helpful.Rooms are good ,cleaned and comfortable .The Location is also good its near to the beach.I have a comfortable stay at this hotel.we enjoyed a lot

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

Kovalam beach hotel had its uniqeness.They served nice welcome drinks.The hotel was nice .we stayed there on package tour
The food was delicious having variety of food in buffet.The room was nice and comfortable.We had room on side of the sea shore.We advice you to get room preferably on the sea shore side.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank arunsharmaJalandhar
Reviewed 5 February 2016

The hotel lies halfway up a narrow, steep lane running from the quiet end of Howa Beach to the Leela bus top stand, between the Leela and Turtle on the Beach. It is a peaceful "oasis", compared to the hustle and bustle of lighthouse beach, about 10/15 minutes walk away. We stayed two weeks and loved sitting on our balcony early a.m. or early evening viewing the beach through the palm trees, spotting many birds including kingfishers, woodpeckers and peacocks, and watching the flow of people in the lane going to and from the beach. There is also a superb rooftop covered terrace lined with potted plants, where we relaxed some days. The staff were all polite and helpful. Good room service. We did not eat much in the hotel as like to eat at Lighthouse beach but meal prices are reasonable and there are also some small cafes on the main road. A Tuk tuk at night from the main car park to the top of the lane was 70rp. Room cleaning was done whenever we asked for this.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view. A/c was noisy but we used only a fan at night.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank eliza070
Reviewed 11 March 2015

Horrible and terrible hotel, In toilet water logging . you will have to take shower standing on the water. Bed covers, sheets linen old ,torn . Breakfast inferior . I refused the breakfast. My visit was 6th march to 7th march, 2015. Dont recomend any one to stay there

Room Tip: not recomending any one to stay
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
14  Thank drjayanta2015
Reviewed 15 February 2015

I have been there with my family last year end. It is very good hotel.

Location: It is very near to beach. Very nice view from the hotel. But you need to select ocean side room.

Hospitality: Hotel staff is kind and polite. They were very helpful if we ask for something.

Food: Personally I don't like Kerala style food but they are serving good food.

My overall experience was very good. I really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are very good.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank pratikpandyamail
Reviewed 6 February 2015

I stayed in the Kovalam Beach Hotel for my last 6 nights in India at the end of 3 weeks travelling down the country. I booked the hotel through Agoda and contacted the hotel directly to arrange an airport pick up from Trivandrum. Upon arrival at the airport no one was there to collect me. I waited outside the airport for about 15 minutes but eventually gave up and had to get a taxi. The hotel is at the bottom of a narrow hill and you can't see it from the road so it was with trepidation that I started walking down the hill after I got out of the taxi. It's only about 30 metres down the hill and just round a bend so no trouble to walk down, but maybe not so good if you have a lot of luggage or you're not as mobile. When I got in to the reception and gave my surname to check in the receptionist immediately said that he had just had a phonecall from a taxi driver at the airport who was there to collect me. When I explained that no one had been there and he must have been quite late, he then argued with me and it went on for a good 5 minutes until I was starting to lose my temper! It was NOT a good start. I eventually went up to my room, which was on the 4th floor. I had booked an Ocean View Room which I believe was Room 401. I really liked my room. It had a small little balcony but I liked to sit out on that in the evenings, the view was really lovely. I was quick to hand over a load of laundry to housekeeping (as I had done most places whilst travelling in India) I foolishly didn't check the price as it had always been so cheap everywhere else, at most I paid about 200 rupees for the same amount of items. When the laundry came back a few days later, I checked the price and it was about 900 rupees which was annoying but my own fault for not checking beforehand. Breakfast at the hotel was included in my booking. The young man at breakfast was very polite and ,not his fault at all, but the breakfast is very hit and miss and nothing to write home about. I went to breakfast on the beach for a couple of days to get something better. Spending every day on the beach the room quickly gets covered in sand and after a couple of days I asked at reception about when my room was going to be cleaned as it was getting very sandy and messy and hadn't been done despite leaving the 'make up room' sign on. I was told that you have to leave your key for the housekeeping! The only hotel I've ever experienced the housekeeping not having their own key to clean which was strange. When it was cleaned the housekeeping was good. The bathroom is small (no bath) a shower which has very little pressure and is always either cold or lukewarm, never hot and it is over the toilet area. Overall I did enjoy my stay and if I went back to Kovalam I probably would stay here again if I could have the same room.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo