All reviews balcony overlooking the pool palm trees kerala beach backwaters
Reviewed November 19, 2015 via mobile

Broken furniture, no TV, no Intercom. If you want nothing in life, plz use it.

Not even single star. I booked it through makemytrip. Mktg girl told me its proven hotel. Dealing life just taken for ride.

Be careful when you book online hotel. Plz see the reviews. Sometimes you get actual very low rate than online.

Plz but don't use this hotel in kovàlam. It's so bad.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Anand G
Reviewed July 9, 2015 via mobile

We booked this resort through makemytrip holiday package. We have been assured of quality service. We stayed for two days. Resort has all rooms with pool view. Ground floor room not alloted to us even when they have empty rooms. Resort has walkable distance from beach. Way between beach and hotel is not safe. it has a very narrow gully. We have seen snake crossing our way. So I suggest to came back in sunlight time. breakfast has very limited options. Rooms do not have TV.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank swapnilkk
Reviewed July 2, 2015

We stayed here last year.. I have been wanting to review this place for long but here it is.. when we had been there was none except us staying at this resort.. it is somewhere deep inside and it is unsafe to even walk in the nights from the beach to this hotel. We stayed here an hour or two after the check out and they charged us for the whole day.. basically they wanted to loot us since no one else was staying, when we told them we cannot pay they threatened to call the police.. we were cornered to pay the money finally. SO please dont even risk staying here...

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pavithra R
Reviewed April 3, 2015

I have visited this hotel about a year ago. But i thought let me write it down some facts. Bcz if anyone would read my review and take decision, it would be worth it.
This property is located far away from beach. You have to go through very narrow path...and 10 mins. of walking to reach there. When i booked this hotel I had plan with breakfast. They had given us somewhat half plate of upma and one banana.We felt like they are not interested at ALL.. I still remember that...Nobody was there to take care. They were not curious for their service. Otherwise overall OK....Find some other options and if you don't have any choice, on last go for this one..

I hope i have given enough information for anyone to judge.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Vis711
Reviewed March 11, 2015

Stayed here for 2.5 weeks in Feb 2015 in a basic non-AC ground floor room. Hotel is a 5 min walk from the beach which I liked as it is quieter with green surroundings.

Upon arrival, I highly suggest arranging a car via the hotel to pick you up even though it is probably overpriced as the hotel-arranged car will know how to access the hotel from the back roads which is a much shorter walk to the hotel with your luggage compared with arriving via the standard route through the front through Lighthouse Beach. Do have exact change ready to pay the driver. Both ways, my drivers claimed not to have change for fares and I had to give them a larger tip than I wanted to.

Rooms are basic, not the cleanest. They all have nice views and balconies overlooking either the pool or garden. My room had lizards, ants, flies, mosquitoes and roaches. Bug spray comes in very handy here. You can buy it from any convenience store. Room is cleaned every 3 days or so. Bathrooms come with shower heads and buckets with hot running water during most times. One cheap bar of soap is provided, so bring your own shampoo and shower gel or buy from the convenience stores when you arrive if you prefer something fancier. I liked my ground floor room with easy access to the pool but if you value more privacy, choose a room on the upper floors.

The hotel is sometimes prone to electricity outages of several hours along with the rest of Kovalam.

Restaurant serves up decent food with room service available. Laundry service provided at 65 RP/large piece, 45RP/small piece. Internet does not work in the rooms, will occasionally work on your balcony and in the restaurant area. It works best on the rooftop. For the price, I feel that the Internet should work in our rooms.

The saving grace of this hotel is probably the swimming pool. The pool is the perfect temperature and very clean, probably the cleanest part of the hotel. Watch out for the loud and noisy crows which may swoop down and grab your food if you eat out in the open.

There is an on-site Ayurvedic center. I had a Shirodara treatment but was not impressed as the oil was cold and I did not return for further treatments

Do give the restaurant next door at Hotel California a try as they serve delicious and nutritious Ayurvedic food and great fresh juices.

There is a 3% surcharge if you pay your bill via credit card. However, if your bank charges for overseas withdrawal and given that you can only withdraw 10,000 RP each time at the ATM on Kovalam Junction, this 3% might still be cheaper. Do keep a record of what you spent and make sure it tallies with your bill. I checked out in a rush and didn't check but several of my friends found discrepancies in the hotel's favor - extra nights tacked on / rate wasn't as what was agreed-on upon booking / extra laundry and meals etc. The bill they provide is hand-written so leave some time to check it as it may take awhile.

Overall, given the general low quality of hotels in Kovalam, especially around Lighthouse and Hawa beach, Golden Sands is a decent option but do not expect too much.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room if you want more privacy as the ground floor rooms overlook the main areas of the pool/garden
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo