All reviewsbeach frontlawnunitsstrollsunrisedesk
Reviewed March 20, 2015

Went to orewa first week in March,was only planning to stay one night ended up staying 3 nights, stayed in apartment no2 more than enough room for the four of us, could sleep 9 people if need be,place was clean and tidy,young lady at reception was very helpful and accomadated us each day we decided to stay longer,even gave us tips on where to eat,and sight see,the location is so beautiful,if you are lucky enough to get a beach front apartment(book early)you would wake up every morning looking at great view, definitely stay again,thank you for a lovely stay,Will and Joyce Augustus and Ian and Chris Williams

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2015

We started our 4 week NZ tour at this motel, friendly and helpful reception when we checked in, We had a beach front unit with lovely views. It is close to the shops just a 10 minute walk down the beach. The room was a good size the bed was comfortable and the place was clean. The wifi was OK. I would give it 4 stars except that it needs some updating. We had people to each side of us and above but didn't get any noise disturbance.
It took us an hour and a quarter to drive from Auckland International airport during the evening rush, would be quicker other times of days. We visited Tiritiri Matangi Island from here by ferry from Gulf Harbour which was about a 25 minute straightforward drive away.

Room Tip: Beachfront best
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane47uk
Reviewed February 17, 2015

I Booked the beach front beach house for myself and 4 friends. The website said 2 bedrooms: 1 bedroom with 1 x queen bed and 2 singles and 1 bedroom with 1 x Queen bed. It also said there was a pull out sofa bed in the lounge. This was the perfect set up my friends and I as it had 5 separate beds and we were 5 single people. This was advised in the comments section on the website when I booked the room.
When we arrived at the motel and checked into our room we noticed there was no sofa bed in the lounge. There was a couch tucked away at the back of the kitchen that looked like it could turn into a sofa bed but when you removed the cushions it was just a nailed down board. I went to the office to ask about this and to see if they had a rollaway bed they could give us if there was no sofa bed. The lady was very short and said "no there wasn't" and "the sofa bed hasn't been working for sometime and you would have been told that at the time of booking". I wasn't told at the time of booking otherwise I would never have booked it. The only suggestion from the lady in the office was for someone to sleep on the couch, no discounted rate or anything. We didn't pay $84 each $420 total per night for someone to sleep on the couch. We were not happy! If the room no longer has a sofa bed then take that detail off your website, otherwise its just false advertising!

The house in general was clean but smelt very musty like it hadn't been aired for a long time. Great location right on the beach but the false information on the website and staff attitude let it down completely. Very disappointing.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank BorntobeaTraveller
Reviewed January 30, 2015

I had a pleasure staying at this motel for 2 nights and I sure pick the best motel in town. This motel and only motel in town is right on the beach. I had a beach side unit and it was great. The unit does need doing up but it is very tidy and comfortable. The owners are very friendly. Good Internet Connection. If you are planning to stay at this motel I recommend you to stay in beach side unit and need to book in advance as those units get booked up very fast. As this motel is very busy popular motel you will find it very quiet and only noise you will hear is the ocean. I will differently be coming back to this motel next Summer.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Gordon L
edgewaterorewa, Manager at Edgewater Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2015

Was a pleasure having you stay with us, hope to see you again in the near future.Many thanks from the team at Edgewater Motel.

Reviewed December 17, 2014

Stayed here for two nights before heading to a family event, wanted somewhere away from the Auckland city and near our son. This ticked both boxes. Found the motel a bit in need of a little makeover but it was very clean, comfortable & well presented, suited our needs. Chose the two bathroom unit as we were travelling with 2 young adults which was ideal. (the set up with the 2 en suites was great liked that it included toiletries) The service we received was excellent, very welcoming including the initial phone call when I booked.

Room Tip: Two bathroom unit great if more than 2 adults staying.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family