“So great I stayed an extra week!”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Reviewed 13 August 2014

In my opinion, this is the best, most centrally located place to stay in Kosrae. I ended up staying 3 weeks (instead of 2) because I was having so much fun.
DIVING: I can't imagine a more spectacular place to dive. I went 8 times and each dive was like a National Geographic documentary. The nice thing about the Nautilus is they have dive boats docked in the 3 different marinas, so if conditions aren't perfect on one side of the island the other side is available. Their boats and equipment are well maintained and I trust them (which is very important when using rented equipment). I saw hundreds of different kinds of fish, turtles, eagle and sting rays, and on the day I didn't go they saw a hammerhead shark. The dive masters were very helpful, knowledgeable and kind.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Very clean, quiet and comfortable. There is a pool (the only one on island) which was great to swim in and relax by plus you can also snorkel and swim from the beach in front of the hotel. They arranged 3 different tours for me that were outstanding. The tours included an outrigger canoe trip through the Utwa mangroves, a hike to the Menke Ruins in Utwa, and the Lelu Ruins/Museum. Each guide was knowledgeable and accommodating. I went on 2 different sunset cruises in both Lelu and Okat harbors. In the Lelu harbor, there were dozens of turtles popping up and fish skipping over the water. Pretty amazing and beautiful. Paddle boards and kayaks are also available for rent and should not be missed! Internet is free in the lobby but be aware ALL internet on the island is slow. Phone/internet cards from Telecom are available for purchase but end up being unreliable and expensive ($5 for 32MB). Kosrae is a good place to unplug and unwind.
RESTAURANT: Hands down the best Fish and Chips I've ever had. I think I ate it almost every day. They also have a big garden in the back so salads were fresh and organic. Staff was great! Doug and Sally (the owners) are just wonderful people.
KOSRAE: The island is very small and relaxed. This is not Hawaii. There are no shopping centers. It's really a remote, third-world location where the people are friendly, diving is amazing, you'll feel safe and life is very slow and relaxed.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are about the same. If you want to be close to the pool pick room 1.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Donna S
There are newer reviews for Kosrae Nautilus Resort

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently went to Kosrae for work and spent 2 weeks at Kosrae Nautilus Resort. Doug and Sally, the owners, couldn't have been more friendly, helpful and accommodating. They were able to arrange trips and activities at the last minute, which allowed us to fit in some fun around our ever changing work schedule. They also kindly surprised one of my colleagues with a birthday cake.
The hotel staff were always cheerful and friendly, and made it a pleasure to stay there. If you're visiting Kosrae, I couldn't recommend this hotel more. Even the locals came here for coffee and dinner!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Lucy B
Reviewed 26 June 2014

KNR was a great spot to stay in Kosrae. There's not a lot of excitement on the island which is why you travel here to dive so the hotel was a nice place to sit by the pool, enjoy some good food and rest between dives. You can walk to a few places not too far away but there's really nothing too close.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Scott K
Reviewed 21 June 2014

A really well run, efficient and knowledgable Resort - quite a rarity in the FSM and Doug, his family and all the teams (Hotel and Dive) should be rightfully proud of their involvement.

Lovely clean rooms, delicious foods and highly recommended as a place to get an introduction to Diving (as I did) with plenty of repeat customers.

The diving itself is excellent and the clarity was beyond my expectations.

I really hope to return soon to learn more of the diving!

Diving is more expensive than Thailand/Egypt etc - however, I still felt it was value for money for me, as I felt time was spent on training me and superb patience and care was taken with my dives. Even an understanding approach when I got rather sea-sick!!!!!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are good - there may be less 'noise' in the ones further away from the pool...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Brianmaxhouston
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very nice people both the owners and the islanders. This was my very first diving experience and it could not have been better. Diving was on my bucket list so I got certified at age 62 and went on a five week trip with my non diving wife. Out of all of the islands we visited this was the best experience over all.
My wife spent her days walking the island with no fear. It was very nice to be somewhere where we were in an environment that was natural and not set up as a tourist attraction. The people of the island were wonderful.
I have over 100 dives now and can honestly say these were among the best. We are planning to return in 2015.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Duff K
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very nicely kept family run affair. The only bad bit first Wifi works but at low speed The television worked with more that a few channels. This is the best hotel on the island unless you want Eco hotel. But looking at the other options, it is not too bad. Rooms are well located. The complete island is very safe. When we went out diving the son now did most of the diving. This is also the best place for diving in Kosrae.
A very payed back place. We would go again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very nicely kept family run affair. Clean and they serve good coffee in rooms. The television will actually work and there is a good movie channel and some good news channels. Bit on the expensive side. But looking at the other options, it is not too bad. Free Wifi is not too great. If you need better wifi, you need to hookup with the paid network. Rooms are well located. Very safe place. (Kosrae is very safe). The owner is a diving legend. So if you are in to diving this is a place you might like to see. The staff is very knowledgeable about the island and will direct you to some historic sites.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. I was in room 3. it was very good.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mark135904

Been to Kosrae Nautilus Resort? Share your experiences!