All reviewsbunk roomsourdough pancakesfamily style seatingroad housegarden cabinrecord playerbakery itemshotcakesreindeer chilihalf orderfun place to staybreakfast casseroleshared bathroomthree roomsrustic charmcommon roomrooms are small
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Authentic Alaska at its best. Homey, cozy, friendly, warm, rustic, local. Time and the worries of life disappear here. We did a Alaska cruise and some time in Anchorage and a few days in Talkeetna at the Roadhouse. By far the road house was the highlight of our trip!

Room Tip: We booked rooms 3, 4, & 5. We had the whole second floor to ourself with a bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jfink11
Reviewed September 13, 2012

They were waiting for us when we arrived at the train station and took us to the RoadHouse. The driver was also the owner. She gave us a tour of the town, which is small and quirky, recommended a few places to eat, and to shop. We ate at the road house, the food was fabulous! Hugh portions, and the bakery was phenominal also. Room was wonderful! This is a historic building, over 100 years old. Log cabin like. We stayed in room 4. Which was spacious, clean and extremely comfortable beds. Bathroom was maybe 10 feet from bedroom door. I have every intention of staying here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1LGM1
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Roadhouse twice in the past and have lived with their cumbersome booking process. But in trying to make a reservation for March 2013 my patience came to an end.

In June I made a reservation through their website, where you must give your credit card info even before you know if there is availability. About two weeks after making the request online I sent them an EMail saying that my plans had changed and I would not be staying there as requested. Received nothing until yesterday when they confirmed my original request.

Obviously they never check EMail (that was one reason I had miscommunication last year). Also, the fact that they are the only lodging establishment in Alaska that I have encountered that requires credit card information before even knowing if there is availability makes this one place I can not recommend anymore.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank fti
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Notice that I've rated this place very good, but it is so different from typical lodging it is hard to know if that's really fair, or not. My wife and I and our adult daughter shared the Museum Apartment (above the Talkeetna Museum) for one night. It is about a block from the Roadhouse proper. We had a large common living area (including a single bed), a separate bedroom, a separate bath, and a kitchen / dining area at the end of common room. We paid $168 for the three of us for one night. The furnishings, how to describe? Mixed "thrift shop" might be the best. For us old folks, its took us back to our college days when were opting for cheap lodging (not that this place is cheap). It was clean. (When I asked my wife what to say, she said: "Say it was great.") No TV reception, but they did have a set with tape player attached and a good movie library. It was very private and quiet.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Roycal
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Thanks again for another awesome year of great breakfasts, coffee, wonderful bakery & fellowship with people from around the world and the USA. Loved the Reindeer Patty Pie and Monster Cookie. Twice a day at the Roadhouse will spoil a man. The mornings are very busy and sometimes crazy, but grab a seat anywhere it is open, relax, and enjoy. The pancakes are the size of a plate. At night the menu is limited to several great ideas of soups, sandwiches, and other house specials which are terrific. The variety of pies are most unusual too and cooked daily. It is a must do going to Talkeetna, Alaska. If you take the train this is your first stop going into the town.... no red lights and one stop sign. You will enjoy the community. If you sleep here it is not the Hilton....just the basics. It is an old Roadhouse of yesterday. It is a great Alaskan adventure! 5th year

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family