“Stay in the Old School House, Sit by the Fire, Eat Great Food, Walk to Everything”

and 1 more site!
Talkeetna Roadhouse
Ranked #2 of 17 Talkeetna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2016

The weather was not ideal for our winter weekend visit but the Roadhouse provided a comfortable warm place to stay, a great main building to hide out in when it rained with a fire and puzzles and games, a fantastic restaurant, and extremely helpful staff that were willing to drive us or do anything for us when asked. We would stay again in a heartbeat and plan to be back in the Summer.

The Old School Apartment was a great choice for us as we loved the pink school house, it was great to have a well-stocked kitchen for snacks and drinks, it has its own bathroom, and the three beds made it easy for our smaller party or a family. It is about a block away from the main building which is a plus for privacy but still close enough for a quick trip any time of day. It is upstairs so if stairs are an issue then stay in a cabin or main house.

Lodging included tickets to the museum and the staff was so informative we just stayed and chatted for about an hour. Everything in town is within walking distance including the more adventurous activities such as zipline, flightseeing, ATV, boat trips, hiking, etc. but it is also a charming town for being lazy, shopping, and eating at the ridiculous number of good restaurants in a town this size.

These are not luxurious surroundings but they are extremely clean, comfortable, a bit quirky with great character and provides a great base for operations to explore the wilds and wonders of Alaska.

Room Tip: Loved the Historical Society/School House - large, comfortable, and the private bathroom was a plus.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the old school house, museum. Cozy, clean, roomy and private. Easy walking distance to everything. An apartments above the museum well appointed without glamour or pretension. I hope to come back.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2016

This is a true roadhouse in all meanings of the word. The hospitality is beyond compare; as an example of thoughtfulness, they even have hair dryers in one public bathroom that includes a shower. Guests can get coffee and tea at all hours, including when the roadhouse is closed (you get a key to the building). We stayed above the museum, in a one-bedroom unit that includes a lovely bathroom and views in all directions. The restaurant has a bakery with one of the best pies I've ever eaten (the food here was among the best we had on our trip), communal tables, and an overflow room with jigsaw puzzles and free wi-fi. Everyone we met was incredibly helpful and friendly. People from a big, chilly (and I mean that in human terms) city will be blown away—you'll feel like you just fell into paradise.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2016

We (me, my son and his girlfriend) stayed in a room above the Roadhouse restaurant with a shared bathroom. Having never been to Alaska before and only seeing Roadhouses in the movies, I was picturing pretty dark and probably dingy. The price was great so I was just hoping it was clean. We were only staying one night to go flight seeing so I figured we could tough it out. Boy I was wrong. This place is so quaint and clean The whole town was way cleaner than I thought it would be. I had been told Talkeetna was a "hippy" town by some people I knew that had visited. So I was expecting alot of tye dye lol. The room was clean as was the shared bathroom. The food for breakfast was delicious. I felt like it was a great deal for the price and was glad I took the risk of not knowing what I was getting into. Would hesitate to do it again. Was also able to do a much needed load of laundry that evening. Free coffee and tea for the guests

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2016

We stayed at Trapper John's Cabin, which is owned by Talkeetna Roadhouse. It is offsite, about a mile away, and down a dirt road near the airstrip. It is also a short walk from the river. We were very pleased with the cabin - it was absolutely adorable, and had an outhouse (hahaha don't worry, there was also indoor plumbing!) with a chicken coop, hammock and a grill. We were greeted by a gorgeous Alaskan Malamute, which belonged to the neighbors (we love dogs). The inside of the cabin was very cozy and tasteful, and it reminded me of small cabins that you would find in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Just a couple of observations: there is a bathtub (but no shower, so this probably isn't ideal for someone who has knee or mobility issues); the kitchen is nice and well stocked with plates, cups, pots, pans, etc; they have a coffeepot in the cabin, but also have coffee and tea for guests in the roadhouse proper; there are two queen beds (very comfortable!!), which are in the same room and very close together, so there is no privacy or shield from snoring people; and there is a cot in case you have another person who needs a bed. We enjoyed walking to the river in the evening, and if it wasn't cloudy, the adjacent airfield probably would have been a good spot to view the northern lights. We had breakfast at the Roadhouse in the morning, which was excellent (I had the blueberry pancake which is absolutely massive!). Be sure to take a giant cinnamon roll to go! The restaurant is family style, so if you go on a busy day, you might be sitting with others who aren't in your group. We loved 'downtown' Talkeetna, with several great stores, excellent food and very friendly people. If I ever find myself in Talkeetna again, I would definitely go back to the Roadhouse (for both food and lodging!)

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2016

A great example of the early settlement days in this beautiful old cottage. Ground floor room was small but very comfortable and clean. I was concerned about the share bathroom but with 3 separate bathrooms it was not an issue. Bakery/Cafe very busy, food was lovely and all baked on the premises with a great variety to choose from. Tea and coffee for guests always available. Sat in lounge and enjoyed all the atmosphere. Walked around town and plenty to see. Picked up from station on arrival and dropped back for our departure. Owner is a delightful lady and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Room 2 ground floor was nice. Didn't have to carry cases upstairs!!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2016

My first visit to Talkeetna. I found the history of this roadhouse well preserved. The place is very authentic. The rooms are small, crude, but very comfortable, clean and the service is great. The shared bathrooms are clean and complete with tile floors and showers. A great place to experience Talkeetna.

Room Tip: I took a room in the historic roadhouse to get the feel of the historic building. Original log cons...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo