“Everything we could have hoped for”

Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Gold Coast Australia
“Everything we could have hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We spent a beautiful 7 days for our anniversary at this fantastic resort.
We had 4 nights in a garden bungalow and 2 in an overwater bungalow.
Garden rooms were huge and beautifully decorated. But the OWB was amazing. You have to try it, even just for some of your stay.
The staff at the resort were so welcoming and helpful.
Some previous reviewers have complained a bit about the service, but we have nothing but good things to say. Ok, things might not go 100% perfectly, but hey, we're all human. And when you're in such a beautiful location, just enjoy it (and have another cocktail!!).

7 Thank Sammy0068

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
La Canada Flintridge, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were fortunate to recently stay at this hotel in an over-the-water bungalow. The room itself had a large and well decorated living room and adequate mini-bar. The bedroom was even larger with canopy bed, Large screen TV and a glass panel in the floor to view the lagoon life below. The bathroom was large and well appointed. All of it very luxurious. Outside was a private deck with two lounge chairs and a table and chairs. The lower deck provided a shower to rinse off after swimming in the lagoon.

From the moment we were greeted at the waterfront lobby we were treated to gracious hospitality. Although we did not sign up for any of the food packages, we ate dinner and lunch in the beachside restaurant several times. The food was excellent and the portions substantial. Perhaps the best swordfish I have ever eaten, and I love swordfish. We had a great view across a lagoon of the famous Bora Bora mountain range, and were fortunate in this regard since most of the villas do not have this view. The view is now my screen saver. Put this place on your on your Bucket List.

Room Tip: Request on of the overwater bungalows with a view of the Bora Bora mountains. The additional cost i...
3 Thank Doug R
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is the most beautiful location in French Polynesia. The Hilton has a great location and is a good property. We were there in March 2011 and again April 2012. There was a loss of service and attention to detail from 2011 to 2012, as it seems someone is not paying as much attention to the little details; I would expect more from a 5 star resort. I still recommend this resort for location, sun and snorkeling and they will do a good job. Just don't set your expectations on "great" and you'll be fine and have a good time.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the overwater bungalow. We have always selected "deluxe" over water, as we don...
2 Thank AtRisk-Traveler
Russell Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Hilton Bora Bora has huge bungalows, with large living room, separate bedroom and huge bathroom. It is a beautiful property and we enjoyed our 4 nights there very much with the breakfast and dinner package daily, the food was excellent. We had a open ocean view. If you prefer to see the famous Bora Bora mountain, you will have to choose another resort. We enjoyed the boat excursion all around the island including swimming with the rays and sharks.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zianne
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I agree with most of the reviews - the Hilton Bora Bora is absolutely beautiful, it was a trip of a lifetime!

We were greeted by the Hilton boat (it wasn't the yacht) and the trip was breathtaking. Checkin was nice and easy, there was a few of us so we were in the 'waiting' room. We were taken to the room and given a quick tour of the amenities.

The overwater bungalows are amazing, the surrounding waters are just wonderful. We had a bungalow in the 200's which was perfect, it was close to the restaurants and the water is so clear, we saw an octopus and a moray eel in the corals under the bungalow. Beware for those who aren't strong swimmers, the water is quite deep and it got a bit rough later in the afternoon. We had a meal plan which I would strongly recommend (that way you don't have to think about how much to spend on meals), the food was great and the servings are generous. We took our meal back to our room most lunches as we just liked to relax in the bungalow and this wasn't an issue. It does take a while for room service to take the old dishes away, but they leave them outside anyway so the room is kept clean.

I heard a couple of people complaining about the slow service in the restaurant, one guest made such a huge fuss. My husband got a bit impatient at times but all I can say is, it's the islands, you're on holidays, what's the rush? Just enjoy and relax. We noticed that the service was quicker after the complaints, so at least they took it on board. But I really thought the fuss was unnecessary. The breakfast buffet was always something to look forward to, there's so much to choose from. We thought the fruit tasted a bit different but then again maybe that's what fresh fruit is supposed to taste like. The made to order waffles and french toast were beautiful! The lunches and dinners at Tamure Grill was very good too. We preferred that over the Iriatai which we tried as well. Unfortunately the Tamure Grill was closed for half our stay and they didn't offer that menu for dinner at Iriatai so we had no choice. It was still good but the servings aren't as generous as it's meant to be more fine dining. The buffer dinners were also very good, a lot of choices and a lot of seafood. Everything that has vanilla were fantastic as vanilla is grown locally so they use real vanilla beans in their cooking.

We didn't do any sight seeing, it was expensive and really, why pay for it when you can see so much snorkelling around the resort! We also went on the main island to do some shopping, they have a supermarket which is about 5mins walk from the dock (there are no signs) and they also have banks there which was convenient. The supermarket was handy for buying things like soft drinks and snacks. The Hilton shuttle was frequent except on Sunday and public holidays.

All the staff we dealt with were great, a few of them remembered us everytime we went in for a meal which was nice. I love the turn down service it was so nice to always come back to a clean and cool room.

Overall our stay was just wonderful and I can't wait to come back and do it all again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 200's are central and close to the restaurants and pool. Extremely handy when it...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank mshuggie
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

For our 20th Wedding Anniversary my husband and I decided on Bora Bora and the Hilton. From the moment they picked us up at the airport until we were back at the airport to leave we felt as if we were the only guests the hotel had. We stayed in a deluxe over the water bungalow that was well worth the money. We had a nice walk to breakfast and dinner each day along with great snorkling right off of our deck. The room was amazing. Every employee who had contact with seemed as if they really enjoyed thier job. The resort grounds were clean and nicely kept. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling to Bora Bora as there was nothing about it I would change.

Room Tip: I would pay a little more for a deluxe over the water bungalow as they are further away from the mai...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeckyO8
sebmaing, Directeur général at Conrad Bora Bora Nui, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Sir, Madame,

The entire team of Hitlon Bora Bora Nui is delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you immensely for your gracious comments about our hotel.
It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to improve the standards you have experienced.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Warm regards

Sebastien Maingourd
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I want this review to be as useful as possible. Thus, it’s difficult to discuss the hotel in isolation without touching on Bora Bora as a destination in general. I’m also going to be somewhat direct as I witnessed a number of negative behaviors – both in these reviews as well as when we were at the resort – that I think can easily be avoided for your own benefit.

To start, I absolutely need to give high praise for my travel agent, Richard Bondurant of Custom Tahiti. My desire was for a turn-key solution and he hooked me up completely. Everything was planned – flights, transfers, hotel, excursions – and all we needed to do was enjoy! So, tip #1: I know there are a lot of do-it-yourself kinds out there and I can admire that. However, I bet the majority of those people aim to get the best bang for the buck (which is going to lead me to tip #2 in a moment.) For a once-in-a-lifetime trip such as French Polynesia, I’d strongly recommend using a travel agent, and one that specializes in French Polynesia at that. They know the ins and outs of the islands and the resorts. Richard certainly did and we had the trip of our lives. Moreover, the packages they get do save you money. I compared hotel and excursion prices while we were there to that which we were charged and, in every case, we saved money via the travel agent. Thanks Richard!!

Tip #2: I’m going to be very direct here. If you are trying to pinch pennies, Bora Bora is not the place for you. Doesn’t mean you can’t make it work on a budget, it just means that you’ll find yourself in misery if you’re watching every last dime that leaves your pocket while you’re there. I’d recommend you either select another destination or take a bit more time to save for the trip. The best advice I took was one I read on TripAdvisor – do the trip without worrying about money. Budget for it, plan it, pay for it, allot your extras/spending cash, then fahghetaboutit. This is yet another reason to go with a travel agent. Let them set up your package with your specific needs in mind then pay for it all at once. Then your whole trip is voucher-driven (they give you a booklet of vouchers for the hotel, excursions, etc.) and all that’s left to spend money on is incidentals, bar drinks, and so on. We allotted a generous amount for the 8 days we were there so we could be generous about buying souvenirs, bar drinks, mini-bar, etc. and we came in just under our budget. Again, I say this for your benefit. Do you really want to be thinking sitting in paradise worrying about how much the next drink will cost that the hotel charged you more than you expected for that hour of internet time? No, you don’t.

Tip #3: Research, research, research. TripAdvisor is your friend. So is your travel agent. Perhaps I took it to the extreme by reading every last review of the hotels and reading more forum posts than I can recount but it made for a perfect trip once the time came because I was prepared. I knew what to expect of the travel, the islands, the hotel, everything. With that, on to the review of the Hilton itself.

Make no mistake, this is a 5-star resort. You can nitpick all you like about the cost-value ratio but the overwater resorts in French Polynesia are in a class all their own on the planet. Everyone is going to have opinions about the differences between the St. Regis, Intercontinental, Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. but the I’m going to go out on a limb and say you won’t be disappointed with any one of those. Let me explain the stand-out qualities of the Hilton.

I’ll admit that we were spoiled (by design). We opted for a Royal Overwater Bungalow. There are two of those on the resort. They are defined by being at the end of the walkway out in slightly deeper water (part of the section of bungalows to the far right of reception as you face land). I requested 107 which has the followed perks which make it the best bungalow in the hotel (with the possible exception of the Presidential Bungalows):

• Privacy. 107 faces out toward a tiny islet and most of the deck is shielded from view of any of the other bungalows.
• View. It has a perfect view of Mt. Otemanu as well as a beautiful view of the horizon and barrier reef. You can also see Taha’a very well from there.
• Size of deck. The deck is extra large with a hot tub.
• Faces east. The setting sun is quite hot and we found it favorable to have the setting sun not blazing onto the deck or in the sliding glass door. Made the evening sitting cool. To catch the sunset, we’d merely open our front door and walk out. I realize some would prefer to sit on the deck and view the sunset so this may be a consideration.
• Quiet. We were amazed how quiet it was. Not sure if that’s a quality of all bungalows or just ours since there was no foot-traffic near ours. It was a most welcome quality.

The interior was fantastic with a nice living room, comfortable bed, flat-screen TV in the bedroom, huge bathroom, sitting area with desk for computer, separate toilet/bidet and shower rooms. I also appreciated the provided robes and slippers. Tons of other reviews have touted the aspects of the room so I won’t repeat. Suffice it to say we loved the bungalow.

I thought the service was exceptional. I read some review of people disappointed with the service and, frankly, I can’t understand it. As some have recommended, it’s better if you realize that most there are on “island time”. Things may take a bit longer than some of us come to expect, so I recommend you go there with an easy-going attitude. That said, we never had an issue. Our room was serviced like clockwork – both in the afternoon and for turndown in the evening. Restaurant service was perfect (for us anyway; we appreciate a slower service while on vacation since we’re not in a hurry.) The “beach boy” was always helpful for towels and watercraft. But, best of all, Amelie (hotel manager) was a dream to deal with. She made sure everything was perfect. As an example, we discovered there a scheduling problem for our Day in Paradise on the very morning it was supposed to occur. She picked up the phone, made a quick call, and it was done. An hour later we were on our way. She also called us by name every time she saw us. Pretty impressive given the sheer number of clientele that passes through there. One last example was after a rainstorm, the run-off from the roof made the hottub water quite dirty. Before we could even say anything, staff was there changing the water out.

Let’s talk about the food. I respect everyone’s opinion because different people have different priorities. However I strongly disagree with those that choose to downgrade the rating of the entire resort because the restaurant(s) are not NYC five-star quality. To be crystal clear…THE FOOD IS GOOD!! I never had a poorly cooked meal. I never had an issue with quantity. I thought the dishes themselves were excellent and unique. Given the challenge that an island-based restaurant must have with supply logistics (with the possible exception of fish), I was highly impressed. My wife and I both agreed that the food was far better than many of the reviews were giving them credit for. In fact, my only real issue was that I constantly over-ate. Nuff said.

The grounds were pristine. Everything was constantly being manicured. I also had a great appreciation for the Hilton’s commitment to the environment. For example, they use solar as a power source. They also have a “biorock” project whereby they place structures in the water that encourage coral growth which in turn stimulates marine life. Good for the sea environment, good for the spectator.

Tip #4: As a summary of what’s above (room, food, grounds, etc.), bring your easy-going attitude. While I agree that there are certain expectations that accompany spending as much money as is required to travel to Bora Bora and stay at these kinds of resorts, don’t expect them to be anything but human. I got the sense that every last individual I dealt with was doing their best and trying hard to please us. If you are like we were and have never traveled to French Polynesia, go there with an adventurous and flexible spirit. I say all of these things for your own good; it’s up to you how disappointed or upset you get at any one thing.

I thought it appropriate to mention the excursions we took too. We did three (four if you could a spa massage). We did the shark and ray tour which was a lot of fun. We swam with the Black Tip Reef sharks but were very surprised that we swam right above a pair of Lemon Sharks! Swimming with and feeding the rays was really cool too. We also did the Reef Discovery (which I believe is now called Pure Snorkeling). Christophe was our guide and he was fantastic. He even managed to draw a 5-foot long moray eel out of the reef! Lastly, we did the Day in Paradise on Motu Tapu. That was an amazing experience and a must for couples. Francois treated us like gold on our own private island for four or five hours. We snorkeled and lounged around in bliss until Francois served us an amazing meal of grilled lobster, shrimp, various veggies, sashimi, lagoon fish, and more. Sparkling water and champagne were also served. All of this on an umbrella-covered table right in the water. Beautiful tropical fish were swimming around us while we ate. What ambiance! We also got a 50-minute couples massage which was amazing.

Overall, it was one of the most magical weeks of our entire lives. I hope that someday we can return and, if we do, it won’t be any other resort but the Hilton.

Room Tip: Royal Overwater Bungalow 107 is easily one of the best bungalows on the property. Great view of Mt...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank SterlingJoe
Dear Sir, Madame,

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Warm regards