“Older, smoking motel - no frills”

Vagabond Inn Executive - Green Valley Sahuarita
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Green Valley
Reviewed 13 April 2011

After a less than stellar stay at another property in Green Valley last year, I decided to spend a few more bucks and try this HI Express. I've been a Priority Club member for 20+ years and had good experience with HI properties in the past. After a late flight and drive from Phoenix, I checked in around midnight. I walked into my room to be overcome by the wreaking stench of cigarette smoke! Even though I had booked a non smoking room months earlier, apparently all they had left that night was this disgusting room. Shame on the desk clerk for not mentioning this at check-in. I would have graciously declined and gone elsewhere. After a trip back to the front desk, she explained there wasn't a single room left, but they would move me to my non smoking room the next morning. It was late, so I made the best of it - window open, A/C on high, and bathroom fan running all night. I left my luggage in the car. The next morning I was moved to a non smoking room for the remainder of my stay. It was OK - decent bedding and towels, free WIFI, older TV with good selection of channels - generally clean and comfortable enough for my purposes, but overall less than I expected. I didn't use the indoor pool or try the breakfast service. Upon check-out they offered nothing for the first night - no discount, no apology. I seriously doubt I'll be staying here next year.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Doug B

Reviewed 12 April 2011

This Holiday Inn Express exterior looks good but once inside the the room it is a beatup basic motel. Had my gas syphoned (stolen) two nights in a row, bad parking situation. Room was not cleaned one day because of a prankster putting a not disturb sign on my door after I left for the day. Newspaper stolen continually from the door. Not a very good clientle stays here. Moving to the Wyndham in Canoe Ranch - Same Price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Paper thin walls; hallways leading to rooms reeked of cigarettes ... need I say more? (Oops, one more thing ... we walked in "our" room, which we found was already occupied!!)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I stayed at the HI Express in Aug 2010. It's a decent property, right off the main highway heading from Tucson down to Green Valley. It's an odd location when it comes to the way Frontage road comes off the main road. Seems like you're going the wrong way, or heading onto an on ramp back onto the highway. The sign for the hotel is sort of blocked by trees and new buildings, but if you turn at the Arby's you'd be fine. Besides Arby's there is a Burger King nearby as well. You're only about 5 minutes (driving) to Denny's, Subway, Walmart, and a few other stores.

Room was good. Typical size. I like the white linen. Gives it a 'clean' feel. Which was one of the reasons I chose it over the other Green Valley hotels. Sink/Mirror accessible from the main part of the room, Tub/Toilet closed off which makes it easier for one to get ready while the other showers. Hot water is definitely not an issue here. Ample parking.

Staff is very friendly. There is a small pool (roughly 15' x 15') plus a jacuzzi. I didn't use it or see anyone in it while I was there though. There is a computer in the lobby with free internet access. Complimentary breakfast was served 6:30 (?) to 9:30am. Good selection. Cinnimon Buns, Eggs (type varies - one day was omelet the next scrambled), sausage, biscuit, 4 types of cereal, assorted breads, yogurt, coffee/tea/juice.

Hope this helps!..

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We reserved a room well in advance. We reserved a king bed, non smoking. We were informed we had the last one available. We called to confirm the day prior to arrival and our reservation was confirmed. Upon our arrival, we were informed that the hotel had been overbooked and that we no longer had the reservation we had made. We asked to see the manager however the manager would not come to the front to speak with us. We left the hotel and we were able to find another hotel in Green Valley that would accommodate our request.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2009

This hotel was pretty much unremarkable - an older property, renovated but not too recently; standard-sized room & bathroom; fading wallpaper & carpet. We noticed a faint smell of smoke in the lobby and hall, but our room was clean and not "scented." We appreciated the fresh white duvet cover (not a scratchy bedspread), but found our king-size bed to be rather comfortable -- however, we're picky and prefer a firm mattress. Breakfast was very good - cereal, fat-free yogurt, hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bananas, and all kinds of bread... lots of choices. The front-desk staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome. Overall, this hotel was perfectly fine for us and a great value.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2009

After reading some of the reviews, I was a bit worried about staying at this hotel. My daughter and I arrived after midnight and were promptly greeted by the hotel staff. All of the paperwork was ready to go and check-in took less than 5 minutes. The room was on the second floor and was very clean. There was no smell at all. The maid service was prompt and they did a good job everyday. The breakfasts were typical for a Holiday Inn Express, and the eating area was kept clean too. The only thing I would change if I was to stay at this hotel again would be to get a room on the third floor. The walls are very thin (we could hear the person in the room next to ours snooring!) and the person above us moved about all night. The other thing is that the pool is small, and it is inside. However, they do have a tanning deck outside if you wish some sun. Other than that, if you are looking for somewhere to stay that is about 20 minutes out of Tucson, I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Green Valley, AZ!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
27.2 km away
Casino Del Sol
Casino Del Sol
#9 of 129 in Tucson

Been to Vagabond Inn Executive - Green Valley Sahuarita? Share your experiences!