Americas Best Value Inn Holbrook
US$77
US$64
US$55
US$79
Motel 6 Holbrook(Holbrook)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$63
EconoLodge
US$89
US$89
All reviewshot breakfaststay there againgreat pricepetrified forestcoffee makerabvimicrowaveinterstate
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I chose this hotel hastily because of the good price and free breakfast (darn you, stomach!) I had read a few positive reviews about immaculately clean, refurbished rooms. I guess the room I got must have been one of the bad ones. It sounds like some of them have been renovated and are in better shape than others. There are some positive elements to my tale, and it begins with one of them: the young man working at the front desk, who was so very nice and friendly, who probably would have been happy to help me get a better room if I had thought to ask in my road-weary brain fog. I knew the room would be nothing fancy, but hey, it was a great price---right? Upon entering, I was greeted with shades of green I wouldn't normally consider putting together, but hey, who's being an art critic? ... The furniture was nice, and temporarily averted my attention from the unvacuumed carpet, exposed smoke alarm, oddly hanging cords, and stained comforter on the bed--- which was almost immediately apparent and hard to ignore that it was stained in more than a few places. Pause while I shudder at the memory. I pulled the comfortor back to reveal a stiff, yellowish spot on the blanket beneath. I didn't allow my mind to make guesses about what it could be. All in all, aside from the furniture, it was in pretty bad need of refurbishing-- there was a gap between the wall and the floor congregated by the desicated bodies of dead beetles, and the old heater did little to warm the drafty room, even turned up. It was so cold that I had trouble sleeping. There was another AC unit with temperature control, but it didn't seem to work; it offered no warmth. Eventually I fell asleep after I put my coat on and got back under the questionable covers. There were so many things in my room that were dirty--- the mirrors, floor, greasy smudges and smears on fixtures like the lamp, remote controls, and light switches, the dingy loveseat where I placed my suitcase. I noticed an old hairtie beside the bed that hadn't been picked up. As for the bathroom, it also didn't appear very clean, and for the first time in a hotel room, I felt the need to put toilet paper on the seat before I used it. You may think I'm exaggerating, but you weren't there to see it; and I hope, for your own sake, you won't be in the future. At least the towels were clean, if with a few strange hairs stuck to them that were not my own. Another positive point: I did like that you could adjust the water pressure in the shower, as another guest wrote in a review. One thing that was also sort of strange and maybe cannot be helped was that the floor was very lumpy and uneven throughout the room--- tree roots, perhaps? Now, allow me to say that while I can deal with shabbiness, but at the very least, I expect a hotel room to be clean. I know I am not being dainty or unduly demanding for expecting that. The breakfast was very good though, and a pleasant end to an uncomfortable stay. The people in the cafe were also very nice. I'm sorry to give a poor review overall, but I wouldn't want anyone else to have the stay that I did.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room, and make sure it's been cleaned!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank sambrita
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We found a coupon in the I-40 hotel coupon book. The price was great. It included a complimentary breakfast at the restaurant next door (don' be late or you forfeit your breakfast) and the night clerk was very friendly and offered information on attractions nearby, also giving us a coupon for that. The room is in need of renovation and absent of coffee pot/microwave, however, the bed was comfortable and served our purpose for the night.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The rooms were small but very clean; the beds were very comfortable and the linens a better quality than most and each room had a microwave and frig. We found the desk person to be friendly and courteous. The best of all was the voucher you received for a hot breakfast at the diner next door. You had a choice of three different entrees, each containing a choice of either bacon or sausage with eggs and then a choice of biscuits and gravy, pancakes or french toast. The breakfast came with coffee or tea. The meal was excellent and well worth the stay. I have a medical condition that requires me to start my day with protein, and I am always on the lookout for the hotels/motels serving hot breakfasts with eggs. This will definitely go on my list as a place to stay when traveling across country. The only potential drawback to this motel is the rooms open to the outside with no elevator to the second floor if you needed assistance with getting luggage upstairs.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and very affordable. We have stayed there before, and we wil stay there again. This hotel was absolutely fabulous in every aspect of our stay. I highly recommend this Hotel...Our overall experience with the Americas Best Value Inn Holbrook was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My girl and myself drove from California to Missouri and stayed in several hotels on our trip. This hotel was by far the worst of the trip. The room next to ours was boarded up with plywood, giving it that nice "car rammed through the front of our hotel" look. Upon opening the door to the room, my girl forces me to look in every nook and cranny before she will even enter the room.... she thinks it looks exactly like the room from the horror movie vacancy, which I am sure you can figure out, does not turn out well for the tenants. After careful scrutiny of this shabby room she enters, and immediately removes all of the bedding to inspect. Nothing passes the test except 2 of the 3 pillows. After throwing all of the dirty bedding on the floor, she notices a spot on the pillow, this spot turns out to be blood. Super grossed out we took the bloody pillow to the front desk where the person on duty say "That's unusual" and asks us if we want a new pillow case. Really, a new pillow case? It was blood, not a piece of candy. The room smelled uncleaned, and we wouldn't take our shoes off while in there. Had there been another room available in that small town, we would have taken it in a second. Also the train blows its horn loudly, every hour which made sleeping a little choppy. Wifi wouldn't work in our room.
The included/free breakfast offered from the restaurant next door is very good. The hotel employee/owner was nice, but didn't seem super concerned about our bloody bedding.

Room Tip: inspect the room first before you pay for it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple