“Jerome Grand Hotel - A Unique Experience”
Review of Jerome Grand Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerome
Jerome Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jerome
Martinez, California
“Jerome Grand Hotel - A Unique Experience”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The converted hospital is perched on a hillside overlooking the old mining town of Jerome and offers a panoramic view of the magnificent Arizona Desert. Our rooms were furnished with a mixture of wonderful antiques along with interesting kitsch. Even the halls are fill with furniture and paintings from another era. Like all old hotels, this one is haunted. While wandering through the halls in the early morning, I met two very shaken guests (young women) who had spent a fear-filled night in which according to their words, they were, "held captive by some evil force." Our stay was undisturbed by either the living or the dead. The hotel would be a fun place to spend Halloween, a holiday that is promoted by the town and the Hotel. We arrived later in October but the spooky decorations in the halls were still in place. The Hotel with its reinforced concrete construction was built to withstand the frequent dynamite explosions from the nearby mines during the hey-day of the mining era. Jerome's old town in a great place to wander among the shops. We even had some great bar-b-que dished up at The town's English Pub. The Hotel is clean and comfortable. It has a great old-timey elevator which is still in use We stayed in the Grand Suite which took up one-third of the Hotel's third floor. We very much enjoyed our stay in the Jerome Grand Hotel

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Eldrieo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Des Moines, Washington
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My boyfriend and I checked into the Grand Hotel at 10:30pm on 12/28/2011. The clerk checked us into room 39A and 39B. We took the old Otis elevator up to the third floor then went into our room at the end of the hall. Once in the room I felt thickness in the air. We walked around the suite,dropped our bags then went walking around the hotel. We took photos up and down each hallway.My boyfriend was walking down the stairs from the third floor when he seen the curtains move. When I got to where he was I felt cold air which was odd since the heater was in the same spot and running. I told him to start shooting photos. I shot up and down the stair well from each directions. One photos showed a blue streak above a photos. I took the same photo to see if it would show again. It didn't. We went to bed a little after midnight. We turned the TV on but got no response. Turned out the TV was unplugged. I wondered why. I started to almost fall asleep then my boyfriend turned the television off which woke me. I laid for a while listening to a strange noise that sounded like static. I thought to myself "that television better not turned itself on" I opened my eyes and didn't see any light so I knew the Television was still off. I figured out the static noise was coming from the old pipes and the static was caused by the heater. I was once again almost asleep when a large brush of cold air went across my neck. There was nothing I could explain about that. I figured I was not going to acknowledge whom ever was doing this so I slowing put the covers over my head and snuggled closer to my boyfriend. I believe it was about a half hour later when I heard a bell ring above my head. No way I was going to uncover my head to see what that was about. I heard loud bangs through out the night but I'm sure they were caused by the pipes in the wall. Nothing in the hotel scared me so bad that I felt like I had to leave however, on the second floor was a open room at the end of the hall that was very cold and dark. I backed away from that room and continued down the stairs to the first floor. The staff a the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We will be back to stay again on our next visit. The town of Jerome is a must see for everyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DianeMyer
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was one of the most interesting places we have ever stayed in. The hotel really has the feel of the old hospital and they have decorated utilizing this backdrop. We did attend the ghost hunt while there, and this was well worth the $20/pp cost. Our guide gave a good overview of the hotel and spent time telling stories about the occurrences in the building over the years. He could recant stories about your own individual room if asked. I stayed here with my two boys (9 and 7) and they really enjoyed the hunt, even if they were a little apprehensive at first.

I definitely recommend this for a stay. It will not disappoint. They've done a great job redo-ing it over the years. And the Asylum Restaurant inside is great as well.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ManuteBol1
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife had long wanted to stay in this old mining company hospital converted into a hotel and restaurant. I surprised her with a trip up the mountain to Jerome over a long holiday weekend. I reserved one of the balcony rooms on the third floor since she loves to have a room with a view. We were not disappointed here, as you look out for miles across the Verde Valley below with the red rocks of Oak Creek Canyon visible in the far distance. Don’t get too distracted with the shops, bars, and restaurants in Jerome that you miss getting back to the hotel to enjoy the sunset from your balcony.

Our room was very nice, and the bathroom is spacious. Plenty of hot water and the pressure was good. One drawback here is the noise. The pipes are loud so you can hear any water use in the adjacent rooms very clearly. If you are close to the elevator you will hear that too. Our fellow guests were not that boisterous, but signs warn revelers that too much noise may result in expulsion. Another issue is that the common areas were too warm; no doubt it is difficult to regulate the temperature with just the radiators. On the plus side, we had an unexpected visitor during our stay: a ring-tailed cat that scampered across the balcony. He was as surprised to see us as we were to see him! Our experience was wonderful and memorable.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank H20Doc
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 16 November 2011

On a 11-11-11 trip to Sedona, my sister and I and two other friends decided to experience the Jerome Grand Hotel for a night of paranormal activity. In our group of four women, one stayed in Claude's room, #12, and the rest of us shared a joint room with bathroom in between in rooms 23 & 25, as the tour calls it the Dead rooms, which is like what we call Hospice.
Thanks! The tour was fabulous and very interesting. Amazing what these guys have done to make this place happen as a hotel. Good job! I really love the idea of the conversion of a hospital to a hotel. So don't look for some Hyatt atmosphere, more classic. In our group we are three intuitive women and one not - being my sister won't admit it, she did not get a thing tingling. Now after the tour, we had a most delicious meal at the Asylum, incredible staff and very patient. Good wine list, and such tasty food! Not badly priced at all.
After the meal, we settled in our rooms, and when sleep kicked in, the fun began. Our one friend in the spare room was being visited like having pulse checked and leg massages and other fun things, as well as all her crystals were rearranged the next morning. I really don't know if I really slept or not. I encountered visitations and contact and just really would love to have slept so, I was ready to get up and move on. Our other friend in 25 was having incredible visitations and experiences. Needless to say, we checked out the next day, and decided to just stay in Sedona. I really liked the place, the originality, and the town is so simple with great shopping and dinning choices. So, intuitive or not, you really can get the sensations. I recall there was a large group of teen girls with some moms in a larger room, who say they did not get anything happening, however, we caught orbs around them in our photos during the ghost tour. Please visit, it is way worth it. Do know the beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank justusone
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed here with a couple of psychic friends for 11-11-11...WOW!! The hotel delivered the exact kind of experience we were looking for! The decor was appropriately minimal, with hospital theme pieces (it was a hospital in the early 1900's), they offered a great creepy ghost tour of the building and we dined at their restaurant called the Asylum, that was excellent, including an impressive wine list! My friends stayed in a 2 bedrm suite on the 2nd floor, while I stayed in room 12 on the 1st floor, commonly known as "Claudes room". Claude was the maintenence man mysteriously killed close to the elevator years ago when the hospital was in operation. I have photos I took that night of 4 'orbs' in the corner of my room. I have to admit that I didn't get alot of sleep, but the bed was super comfortable while hiding under the covers! My friends had similiar experiences all night long, with some of their belongings being rearranged and unfamiliar laughter in their room. We were all tired the next day, but literally thrilled with the "extra" activity that we experienced! We'll be talking about our stay for many years to come! I commend the hotel staff for the excellent service we all received as well as their interest in our experiences! This is a must stay for anyone who is interested in rich history and 'other wordly" encounters, all at the same time! P/S The town of Jerome is charming!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank DHB624
Payson
Reviewed 8 November 2011

A little over a year ago we checked into the 2 room "suite" - connected to the sun porch AND the front balcony. Our guest took one bedroom and we took the other. In my opinion the sun room was beautiful, but a little over rated. I ended up spending more time on the balcony over looking Jerome, Cottonwood, and everything within 40 miles east of the hotel. WHAT a view.

This is a converted hospital and everything in the rooms is old - which could be called period or even antique. Primitive, but charming. The rooms were clean but a little rough around the edges. (Nothing I would even remotely call refined.)

The antique Otis elevator was totally funky in every aspect - but safe.
Kind of a highlight, really. Although I have a web sight called www.Ghost-Town-Photography.com, I really am not into ghosts. I simply don't believe in them. As a retired professional photographer and owner of a radio station, I know how easy it is to fake audio and visual ghost effects. (Sorry, didn't mean to ruin your fun!)

The Asylum Restaurent is another matter. Although the dinners are a little pricey, the chef is traditionally trained (yes, a real chef). Watching the evening turn to dusk with a fine glass of wine and a great view (they have a GREAT wine list) is one of life's finer pleasures.

Room Tip: Go for a view room with a veranda!!!!! Period!