See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We spend this long weekend at them for our first family breakaway. What a terrible experience, shocking service from the owners. The electricity went out the Sunday morning - by lunch time still no feedback from the owners on what's happening, on top of this we discover we sit with no water. Going up to the house to find out what's happening the lady in charge of the cleaning came out stating that the electricity and water works hand in hand and she has no idea when it will come back on again. It was so cold, wet and windy. I had my 17 month old who needed bottles. The owners sat in their house with rain water and the fireplace going. (Walking up and down past us getting more wood for their fire) Not even looking in our direction. Not once did they offer drinking water, fire wood or candles. We had to carry water with buckets from the swim pool to be able to use the toilets. The chalets have no candles, torches nothing. We had to go to town to go and buy water and candles to get us through the night. Upon our return passing the owner while busy getting his fire wood ready we got a grin from his side carrying down our water. The chalets itself is poorly equipped, the knifes and forks are so sticky, no dishcloth, dishwashing liquid. The bedding stinks, does not look clean at all. The beds / mattresses had there days, you get up with a terrible backache. The sleeper couch is broken, which is suppose to count as a sleeping spot. The place has so much potential and what a nice experience with the free roaming deer. Don't know for how long they will stay tame as the owners dog is constantly chasing them. The next morning still no sign of them. With our arrival different story they could not wait to ask for the balance to be paid. Will not ever go there again and would not recommend them at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank 35Lu_Anne
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I would just like to thank the owners for creating the perfect stop for our family.
We were truly enchanted by the free roaming deer and the tree-house-in-the-woods feeling.
Our two boys of 4 and 3 years had an amazing time inspecting the tree house cabin with its Heidi-like loft. The play area, chickens, pond and pool were an extra bonus.
We wish we could stay longer to explore even more.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Let me start by saying that this place has so much potential and I would really like to see it succeed. I mean this sincerely. It has a potentially winning recipe, and the owners are friendly so it pains me to have to write this negative review.

So let's start with the positives. The free-roaming, tame fallow deer are awesome. What a lovely experience to be in such close contact with them and be able to feed them. The houses are pretty well built and look great from the outside. The idea is truly magical...the problems start when you enter.

The bedding is terrible! Really, really old and didn't smell or look clean - I kept thinking they must have been purchased 2nd hand. Worn and stained. We were fortunate enough to have some extra bedding in the car so we just tried to adopt the mindset that we were camping. The mattresses are very old and way past their sell by date. The kitchen is poorly equipped. Crockery and cutlery are mismatched and extremely basic. The 2 plate stove was covered in foil and not well cared for. The dishcloth provided was filthy! The towels were shocking - threadbare, discoloured and stained. I'm certain the heater was a possible fire hazard as it flickered on and off due to a loose or faulty connection. The braai grid was also dirty.

Basically they need to replace the mattresses, pillows and all the linen, equip the kitchen properly and hire another person to assist with the cleaning. As far as we can tell there is only one lady who has to clean all 10 or so cottages.

We came away from our overnight stay thankful that we'd only booked for 1 night, feeling dirty and eager to get to our next accommodation so that we could shower.

I really hope they up their game.

Room Tip: Before booking, insist on finding out if they have replaced their linen, towels, mattresses and everything in their kitchens. I'd go as far as asking them to send you photos. We had the 4 sleeper near the pool. Double bed downstairs and 2 singles in the loft. The latter I would say is really only suitable for children aged ±7 - 14, as it's quite dangerous for small children and a very small space for older children.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clarissa W
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We booked 3 cabins 10 adults 4 children, on face value they looked great, how wrong we were.
The bedding was stained and smelled like they had not been washed in months on all beds in all 3 cabins, as for the beds very uncomfortable and sagging in the middle. The bathroom in one of the cabins constantly smelt of sewage, which filled the bedroom. In an other cabin the whole onesie of the bathroom floor could collapse through at any moment. The kitchen areas are in no fit state to prepare food, mould in cups dead flys in between plates a dead cockroach fell from behind a picture in the kitchen. The smell of damp and rotting in 2 of the cabins was unbearable. We stayed one night after paying a deposit thinking we would speak to the owner the next day to voice our concerns and hopefully get our money back not likely, they have a100 % no refunds policy, i think this is the only reason they stay open. The owner we spoke to is very rude and abrupt and did not seem to care or want to acknowledge the issues. We eventually moved to other accommodation at extra cost. Which was not easy considering the size of our party.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank forward2
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

My family and I (10 adults and 4 kids) were booked to stay here for 3 nights. We stayed over 1 night out of necessity however I have never been so disgusted with a place before!

Here is a list of issues we and I'm sure many people would have with this place:
The cabins and bedding were filthy! The bedding was stained with and smelled of body odour and sweat.
The rooms all smelled damp.
The floors were rotten or something as it would bend and almost break under a normal persons weight.
The toilet would almost fall over.
The plates were dirty and some of the cabins had dead insects in them.
We moved a huge mirror hanging on a single nail in a dry wall and a dead cockroach fell out.
The cups had mould in them.
Myself and my wife got locked in our room after the key broke off in the door and we had to climb out the window.

This is just to list a few of the issues.

I understand they are meant to be cabins in the forest, but no one should have to stay in such disgusting accommodation.

The next day we all left to see if we could find other accommodation and when we returned to pack and leave. We then confronted the owner about the situation and she did not care, all she wanted was for us to pay her for our full 3 days we booked and threatened that she wouldn't let us leave until we paid her. She wouldn't even go look at the cabins so we could show her what we were talking about.

The worst of the cabins was the forest cabin, which I was told was normally reserved for walk ins. However when we confronted her she said she told us that the cabin was not fit for people to stay in...

I promise you, you may think for the price it is worth it, but it is not and people should not support a person who runs their business like this!!!

If you really want to go then rather only book in for 1 night or only one night's deposit.

If you have kids also be aware that there is a very dangerous gorge with a cliff that is really easy for someone to not notice and fall down.

Rather save yourself the trouble and book in somewhere else!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family