“High tea .... what a disappointment ”

Kipling's Brasserie
Ranked #69 of 397 Restaurants in Port Elizabeth
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

Ahhh... what dissapointed! We went to the Boardwalk hotel’s lobby lounge for High tea yesterday afternoon and it has completely lost it flair! It is definitely not wat it used to be.... from stylish and posh to “everyday run of the mill”....
1. Big groups bookings shouldn’t be allowed! There was a kitchen tea booking with a bride wearing clothes pegs around neck - not appropriate for a five star high tea. The worst was the children’s party being held! With bright, flashy balloons bought in by the mom and happy birthday being sung! Really disruptive and inappropriate for a five star hotel and so inconsiderate to other guests! This is not the Spur!
2. A rehearsal of a pop / rock band in the concert venue of the hotel really takes away from the stylish atmosphere! The lady providing the entertainment for the high tea on the piano/ keyboard couldn’t even be heard! With the bam-bam noises next door it also impossible to have a conversation with friends over a cup of tea!
3. What happened to your great selection of teas!?! No herbal teas anymore! Not even Earl Grey tea!
One of the ladies in our group also received a teapot with no teabag in it! Just water! I also didn’t get the tea I ordered- the waitress just bought any tea! Bad service!
4. They also removed the drinks trolley... We asked if we can order a bottle of champagne / sparkling wine and the waitresses replied that they only keep one type and was very reluctant to bring a cocktail / sparking wine menu. Disappointing service once again. We ended up leaving because of this to have our glass of bubbly somewhere else and forget about this horrible experience.

However- the food is still good... although some guests dont even know how the cut the cake properly... and swipe all the food so others dont get the opportunity to taste a little bit of everything.

My suggestion would be:
- to limit group sizes.
- to not allow children’s parties.
- to instill a very strict dress code! (Elegant afternoon attire)

Such a pity that this is not a stylish afternoon anymore... rather an affair you need to gringe through to get over with...

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Maybe we visited this restaurant on a bad day. But I doubt it. I find it hard to believe that the 5 star ratings for this restaurant are genuine. It is obviously incredibly badly managed.

Having made (and confirmed) a group booking with a (multiple choice) set (a la carte) menu, we were invited to select from the buffet instead, which we declined. Non-plussed, the waiter just walked away.

He and the ten or twelve (idle) waitstaff seemed to huddle in confusion while we listened to Blondie and a selecton of rock tracks more suitable for dancing than dining.

A waiter (who had obviously drawn the short straw) shuffled up to our table to advise us that, as we had been 'unexpected' they had not ordered the ingredients for the set menu (essentially, chicken for one of us and filet steak for the other)! We were assured that the buffet featured a wide selection which included a chicken dish and a beef dish.

In truth, the selection wasn't much wider than the waiter's tie. None of the food was hot. It was just above room temperature. (The seletion for breakfast at Sun's Table Bay hotel was at least five times greater than Kipling's dinner offerings.

The only vegetables were potatoes with a sprinkling of onion. The meagre salad bar offered a balsamic dressing or nothing.

I went in search of a working salt-shaker (in an attempt to add some flavour to the food). Ours spat dry rice grains all over my dish when I shook it vigorously!

One relatively alert waitress noticed my expedition after I'd tried my luck at the fifth table and offered me a salt shaker. I tried it. It was full of pepper. She went off in search of another and finally found one that offered up a few grains (if it was shaken hard enough).

The urn that was labeled 'Coffee' contained only (cold) water. I wasn't surprised when finally the coffee we ordered arrived and mine was in a chipped cup.

Not one of the idle wait staff ever exchanged any of the empty or non-working salt shakers.

We asked for our bill and had to wait a considerable time for the account, which was for our drinks only. I then stood, hoping that might hurry the incredibly difficult process of working out our bill for the two standard buffets.

No, we're not inclined to recommend Kipling's Brasserie.

2  Thank MAT2
Reviewed March 15, 2018

This has to be one of my best treats and I love it when we get to PE beachfront and head here. The dining is "fine" and the staff complement the elegance, giving best service and experience. The chef treats the diners to a speciality of the night. Such an exceptionally special added touch. The is really a firm favourite. Never fails to impress.

Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

Thought I would be a bit posh and take myfriends to kiplings for supper. Not pressed at all as the food took forever to come out. Waitress not very friendly. The food was nothing to write about, no wow factor. However the dessert made up for it.

Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

What a glorious place to enjoy breakfast overlooking the ocean !
A royal breakfast with some glorious choices off the al la carte menu. We love going here for special moments - the choice is so good and the service wonderful. R200 a person for a complete experience.

1  Thank 365giannad