Ahhh... what dissapointed! We went to the Boardwalk hotel’s lobby lounge for High tea yesterday afternoon and it has completely lost it flair! It is definitely not wat it used to be.... from stylish and posh to “everyday run of the mill”....
1. Big groups bookings shouldn’t be allowed! There was a kitchen tea booking with a bride wearing clothes pegs around neck - not appropriate for a five star high tea. The worst was the children’s party being held! With bright, flashy balloons bought in by the mom and happy birthday being sung! Really disruptive and inappropriate for a five star hotel and so inconsiderate to other guests! This is not the Spur!
2. A rehearsal of a pop / rock band in the concert venue of the hotel really takes away from the stylish atmosphere! The lady providing the entertainment for the high tea on the piano/ keyboard couldn’t even be heard! With the bam-bam noises next door it also impossible to have a conversation with friends over a cup of tea!
3. What happened to your great selection of teas!?! No herbal teas anymore! Not even Earl Grey tea!
One of the ladies in our group also received a teapot with no teabag in it! Just water! I also didn’t get the tea I ordered- the waitress just bought any tea! Bad service!
4. They also removed the drinks trolley... We asked if we can order a bottle of champagne / sparkling wine and the waitresses replied that they only keep one type and was very reluctant to bring a cocktail / sparking wine menu. Disappointing service once again. We ended up leaving because of this to have our glass of bubbly somewhere else and forget about this horrible experience.
However- the food is still good... although some guests dont even know how the cut the cake properly... and swipe all the food so others dont get the opportunity to taste a little bit of everything.
My suggestion would be:
- to limit group sizes.
- to not allow children’s parties.
- to instill a very strict dress code! (Elegant afternoon attire)
Such a pity that this is not a stylish afternoon anymore... rather an affair you need to gringe through to get over with...
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.