All reviews four poster bed flamingo room beautiful house old victorian evening meal was excellent original features one night attention to detail small hotel quiet location garden route an early morning flight hotel restaurant breakfast and dinner shamwari game reserve spent two nights stayed longer
Reviewed January 5, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here as a stop over to Shamwari Game Reserve. The whole house feels colonial Victorian and there are many touches and details which make it feel like you are a house guest. The food was amazing, really top class. Only negative was the air conditioning in the main dining area was non existent so felt uncomfortable but a minor point for a really special hotel.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
HacklewoodGM, General Manager at Hacklewood Hill Country House, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, and hope Shamwari was absolutely amazing. (I will definitely look into a solution for cooling the Dinning area)

Reviewed January 5, 2017

The staff were all very professional/friendly and helpful. Noted we had not requested a meal on NYE and organised a booking for us. Set in a quiet suburb of Port Elizabeth with easy access to N2 motorway. We would definitely stay at Hacklewood House if we visit the area in future.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review, and I'll pass on your praises to the staff.

Reviewed January 5, 2017 via mobile

This must have been my 6th visit to this most exquisite country house. As ever the staff were most attentive and the room most spacious. Breakfast was delicious. I will definitely visit again in the near future; it hasn't altered in six years

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you Catherine for your always coming back. I'm glad that my team puts in the effort to make you feel welcome, and happy to return.

Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

This was a most unexpected and pleasant surprise on our stop over in Port Elizabeth! The house has a stunning collection of furniture and fittings of the era and the d cor to match. It really is like stepping back 100 years. The staff are very friendly, the rooms very comfortable and the food was out of this world, the hotel has won a number of awards for the food. Can't rate this place high enough. If I return to Port Elizabeth I will certainly stay here again.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review...Hacklewood is very much a "hidden gem" and providing a memorable dinning experience is a major focus in what we offer to our guests.

Reviewed January 4, 2017

Absolutely loved my stay at the Hacklewood House hotel. Stunning room, lovely staff and fabulous food. The staff were very nice, very accommodating and I had a fantastic stay there, sadly it was only for one night. My room and all the rooms in the house were just beautiful, I had a great nights sleep there. I have already recommended it to friends who are visiting SA in Feb 2017. Keep up the good work

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for your great review, and for already recommending us...With reviews like this it's easy to keep motivated to be the best :)