“Nice Portuguese vibes”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Illovo
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Resturants
Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Bacalau, oysters, curry all very nice. Great ambient outdoor area with heat lamps, blankets & nicely candlelight. We will be back

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Most likely the best in Johannesburg. I have been here multiple times and have never been disappointed. Service is superb. The calamari is Falkland tubes and grilled to perfection. Delishes fresh chili and freshly baked rolls served warm! Sushi is beautifully prepared and presented. This is a real treat. You need to book as it’s busy!!

Reviewed August 2, 2018

The Fishmonger, Illovo, Sandton.

I had never been to The Fishmonger in Illovo and many people had indicated to me that they thought it was a great restaurant. I usually frequent the branch in the Firs in Rosebank, but when I called they were fully booked.
We arrived on time for an 18:30 booking and the restaurant was already quite full. We were shown to a table in the middle of the restaurant. The waiter introduced himself and gave us a set of menu’s. Being very familiar with their menu, I had a good idea as to what I wanted to try. We had a visiting guest from the USA with us, so for him the menu was a new experience. The waiter took our drinks orders and brough them to the table. However, I did think that the waiter was over-worked and not as attentive as he could have been, we waited an inordinate amount of time for him to return to advise us of the specials and take our orders.
I decided to try a dish I hadn’t tried before, the Seafood Caserole, which is described (Accurately) as a selection of seafood, kingklip, prawns, mussels, squidheads, calamari cooked in a portuguese style sauce with a hint of paprika, white wine and garlic – tossed in white rice.
The other dishes chosen were: Whole baked fish, which is a fresh whole fish, baked in the oven with olive oil and lemon. And kingklip curry, kingklip medallions simmered gently in a mild cream curry sauce.
The waiter was good in explaining because of the Whole Baked Fish dish, we could expect to be waiting for 30 – 40 minutes.
When the food arrived, it looked and smelled fabulous. I tucked into my dish and it was a great dish, and very tasty. The other two also expressed similar satisfaction with their food. The portions are very generous, and knowing this from their other branch, we didn’t order starters.
I must however say that while the Seafood Casserole was a tasty dish,I found myself thinking that I should have ordered my favourite which is the Trio of Calamari. I do think this is the best dish in the house to my taste. I was the only dessert eater and ordered the Crème Brulee. The Crème Brulee was also very good, but for my taste, they didn’t have the caremelised sugar topping as good as I expect. But that didn’t stop me from eating it all. The filling was excellent.
In comparing the two branches, Illovo and Rosebank, I do have to say my preference goes to the Rosebank Branch. I found the noise levels in Illovo quite excessive and holding a conversation with our visitor was quite difficult at times. I am a person who likes to hold conversations over dinner with people, and here it was almost impossible. I can see they have tried to deal with the noise and saw some sound deadening panels on parts of the wall, but if they want to reduce the noise levels, they need to do the job properly. I also have to say that I found the waiters at Rosebank a little more on the ball in terms of keeping their eye on the guests and not leaving then unattended for too long. Maybe it was because it was a Wednesday and it is a popular night out.
So if someone was to ask me to recommend a Seafood Restaurant, I have to say The Fishmonger, at the FIRS in Rosebank has the edge.

Reviewed July 28, 2018

One must go to the restaurant called the Turn & Tender 204 Oxford Road Illovo , Sandton. South Africa for an excellent steak or Ribs

Reviewed July 4, 2018

On a dark cold night in the middle of a blackout, the lit up Thrupps Centre was a warm welcoming sight. The Fishmonger has a generator, and the patrons could sit back and enjoy good wine, a wonderful meal and good conversation (no loud irritating music). My delicate hake with asparagus was memorable, and my friend had tasty kingklip, also beautifully prepared.