“Anniversary dinner”

Ranked #5 of 1,464 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Best Steakhouse in South Africa awarded by The Wolftrap steakhouse championships. Offering kitchen tours and beef courses. Beef all aged on the premises and cut to order.
Reviewed August 22, 2017 via mobile

Went to the local grill, after my wife and I both forgot our anniversary. Called at 6:15, got a reservation at 6:45.

Arrived with a bottle of Moet chilling at the table, a kitchen tour that blew our mjnds, followed by arguably the best steak my wife and I have ever eaten.

700g wing rib, rare, covered in bone marrow,my wife and I entered a state of euphoria.

Best tasting meal I have ever had, service was unbelievable, went home with a roll or smoked kudo salami and 1kg grass dlfed wagu beef.

Unbelievable!!!

Steven M, Owner at The Local Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review.

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

This is my favorite place for steaks in Johannesburg. You can choose between two kinds of beef (grain fed and grass fed) and between dry and wet aged. The host gave us a tour of the kitchen were I learned lots of interesting things about meat and it's preparation.
Here it's all about meat! A real Paradies for beef lovers. But also the starters, the side dishes and the sauces are delicious. I love the fries and the Dijon mustard sauce. And the steak tartar is to die for!

Steven M, Owner at The Local Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2017

Thank you for your review and feedback, we really enjoyed having you.

Reviewed August 16, 2017

wonderful staff...great visit to the kitchen with some meat tasting and an amazing steak..it was well worth the visit and the money..

Reviewed August 5, 2017

This is an excellent steak venue with a good vibe and knowledgeable staff. We were a group of six and we were offered a tour of the kitchen which took a while to eventuate but was definitely worth doing. I learnt a lot about the differences between grain fed and grass fed beef plus dry and wet aging. The menu options were well explained. Food tokk sometime to arrive but was hot and well presented. Many of our group were very happy with their fillet and T bone choices bud sadly I have to say that my Dry aged grain fed ribeye on the bone, ciiked rare was not fabulous meat. It was full of sinew and gristle. The taste was good however. Maybe I will choose another cut next time, or maybe they have a problem with a particular supplier. Anyway I would definitely go back to this place. The wine list was pretty good too.

Reviewed August 1, 2017 via mobile

Read all the hype about the top 10 restaurants in the country,decided to give them a shot,they are good but definitely not Very good or excellent,I've definitely been to places way better than this restaurant.
Meat......,OK had Ribeye,I do it better myself,wife had Fillet,OK.

Not sure if we'll be back,so sorry guys,but it feels like you only cater for accolades on the day.
Parking space is very limited.