Genesis All-Suite Hotel(Johannesburg)
US$85
US$63
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$72/night.

US$145
US$106
CrownePlaza.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$118/night.

Lucky Bean Guesthouse(Johannesburg)
US$80
US$87
US$69
Agoda.com
The Reef Hotel(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$269
US$249
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$300/night.

US$206
Free cancellation until 28/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$276
Hotels.com
  • Pool
1,082 results
All reviewsmilkshake barmelrose archhollywood thememovie starstrendy hotelgated areafirst floortravel desksafe locationshops and restaurantswalk aroundhotel is situatedfelt very safebusiness hotelcape townshopping mallsouth africa
Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel march 12 for 4 nights
The location was brilliant the room first class check-in 5 star security 5star breakfast supurb staff all very friendly I think you have to look hard to beat this hotel anywhere

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Gabrielle_Marnewick, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Dear robert w,

Thank you so much for your very kind words and for sharing your positive feedback of your experience with us. I have already sent this to my TEAM and congratulated them for making such a wonderful impact.

People are generally quick to complain however we rarely take the time to acknowledge when the service delivery was outstanding. Therefore we are truly appreciative, of the fact that you took the time to communicate this to us. It really makes all the hard work and effort which my TEAM put in, all the more worth it.

Thank you for being a true Fire & Ice! Ambassador and we look forward to many more opportunities in the future to impress you.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott® Melrose Arch

Reviewed March 21, 2018

We did not have a good experience here. Construction went on all night with cranes working and dropping building materials all through the night. Disappointing for a hotel of this quality. If you stay here make sure you are not in a room across from the major construction.
The area is very nice and safe so that was a redeeming factor.

Room Tip: Do not be near construction!
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David K
Gabrielle_Marnewick, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2018

Dear David K,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Melrose Arch.

We appreciate that you enjoyed the hotel as well as the various restaurant and bar offerings. As there are many new and upcoming developments in and around the vibrant city of Joburg, we are very excited for the new additions currently being made to the Melrose Arch Precinct. The building work will remain within the SANS working hour regulations for minimal disturbance and as the hotel is not affected, will operate as per normal.

Although we have addressed your concerns broadly, I would still like to make contact with you personally to see where we are able to tighten up our service offering. Kindly reach out to me on sisanda.mtsi@proteahotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sisanda Mtsi
GUEST Relations Manager

Reviewed March 12, 2018

Whilst this hotel is perfectly okay and doesn't have anything particularly wrong with it, it also falls short of being anything beyond that. Staff at the reception are polite enough, but not very friendly. For example: whilst check-in for rooms is at 2pm, and they will store your luggage on arrival for you, after our overnight flight and 9am arrival, there was no offer of getting our room ready early, whether we would like a refreshment or if we might want breakfast whilst we were waiting.

When we did get access to our room, we weren't shown to it and it wasn't explained where it was or that a key card would be needed to access the hallway leading to it (we had to figure this out ourselves). Our luggage was brought up about 15 minutes later, which was a little annoying when we were tired and dirty after an overnight flight and really wanted to freshen up.

The room itself is okay but not fantastic. No extras e.g. no robes or slippers, no toiletries beyond the basics and whilst it's clean, there are marks and scuffs in several places and some of the furniture is old and rickety or damaged. The bathroom and sleeping areas are separated only by a curtain, which could cause some people some privacy issues. There's a fridge, presumably for the minibar, but it's empty.

A definite positive is the location: the hotel is in a lovely, safe and friendly area, with lots of local bars, cafes, shops and restaurants. There is often an event on at Melrose Arch at the weekend.

There is a pool and gym, but the latter is small and gets busy in the mornings, so be prepared to wait if you want to use it.

Lastly, whilst the hotel offers reduced parking in the local car park, it wasn't explained how this works. Only after we'd paid to get in and out a couple of times and then asked at the reception were we told that they could validate our parking tickets for us, so that instead of paying several times a day to get in and out, we would just pay the hotel a flat rate per night for parking.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cakeexpectations
Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

When you book a Marriott the expectation is consistent quality. This hotel may be part of the Marriott company but is no way the Marriott standard. As a Marriott Gold member when you arrive before check in time and you have alerted the hotel that you will arrive before check in time that even when a room is not immediately available that one will be as soon as possible. You don't have a choice when you fly international into Joberg that you arrive before 2. In my case I got to the hotel at 9. I was told at least by 7 staff members that check in was at 2. They did offer to store my luggage so I could go elsewhere but after being awake for over 48 hours where are you going other than to sleep? As a GOLD member how the process usually works is that they invite you to have breakfast while a room becomes available. I was offered a glass of juice. Almost 3 hours later I finally got a room and it was facing the construction across the road. I was so tired I just unpacked and about 5 min later a tap on the door to check the room. For what?? Finally undressed and in bed for now 90 min of sleep only to have 15 min later yet another staff with their fee gift for my gold status of a free milkshake. What I wanted was sleep!!

The next morning I was treated to the sight of dirty dishes from the room across the hall and apparently this was the storage wing for cleaning carts.

Breakfast was cold eggs that took three attempts to get. This place can't do basics like having a salt and pepper shaker on the table instead of two pepper or the salt was empty. No glasses for the juice. Unable to get coffee. Having staff clear dishes before you are done. It just went on and on

The GM told me that this location had high occupancy and it "isn't their business model to accommodate early arrivals.

This could go on for pages. Summary of this hotel. AVOID IT!!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Griffons
Gabrielle_Marnewick, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2018

Dear Griffons,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your most recent stay.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of during your recent stay and hence we received a less than average scoring from yourself. Although our check in is only from 14h00, my team do try to assist for guests who arrive earlier where possible. I do understand that having travelled for over 48 hours may have been very frustrating at the time to have to wait.

Please be assured that we make every effort to uphold our commitment and provide a memorable experience with exceptional service. Thank you for reaching out to me as well thanking me for the measures the TEAM took to make sure your stay and conference were comfortable.

We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Johannesburg. Please let us know when you are travelling through to Johannesburg again so that can ensure your requirements are anticipated and met.

Looking forward to your return stay.

Reviewed March 9, 2018

I attended a SAPICS DDMRP 3 day conference at the hotel specifically to hear an international expert on the subject who had travelled over from the USA. She regaled all the participants with her shocking treatment by the hotel staff. She was in transit for 3 days and arrived at the hotel mid-morning.
Despite being a gold card member of the Marriott group, she was told that it was not the hotel's policy to give guests access to rooms until 2pm - no matter what! I was embarrassed as a South African to hear how our important International Guest had been treated.
To make matters worse, her room faced onto a building site - she was woken at 6am as the builders sprang into action. Also, the hotel staff woke her to give her a voucher.
As an apology (after getting the senior management involved) she was woken up and given a milkshake voucher!!! YES - a MILKSHAKE VOUCHER!!!

The hotel is clean and very modern, the food was not bad - typical hotel function fare. The snacks accompanying the teas and coffees at breaks in our conference were excellent. What a pity that "rules" were applied when a thinking manager could have made the whole experience a positive one.

We will not hold another conference in the hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't face onto the building works that are under way in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulDJohannesburg

Dear PaulDJohannesburg,

Thank you for sharing your frustrations with us.

There were several shortfalls during the GUESTS stay, shortfalls we have taken very seriously. The TEAM and myself have taken full responsibility for the various service delivery mishaps. A sincere apology was offered to the GUEST and in return has emailed me to thank me for the measures that were taken to make sure that her stay was comfortable through out the remainder of the conference.

It truly is saddening that my forever GUEST focused were unable to impress you from the start as we always pride ourselves with our slick delivery of GUEST service.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott® Melrose Arch