“Great stay in central Rosebank” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rosebank Lodge Guest House

Rosebank Lodge Guest House
Ranked #31 of 282 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great stay in central Rosebank”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I spent two nights at this beautiful guesthouse and wish it was longer! I had the room right in front, with a seperate entrance and it was spacious, well-equipted and peaceful. Breakfast is really good and Anne's hospitality knows no bounds - when I had forgotten my cellphone charger at home and my battery was running low, she left not one, but two chargers in my room to make sure I got one that fit. The location is also fantastic and the guesthouse is within easy walking distance of the Rosebank Mall and the Rosebank Gautrain Station. Thank you so much, I had a wonderful stay and hope to be back soon!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MKotze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed at Rosebank Lodge at the beginnig of our tour through Southern Africa and were not disappointed. We prefer private accomodation as we find that we can find out more about an area than we can get from a faceless international chain and this was the case here. The facilities are great and the breakfast set you up for the day. Anne and her team make you very welcome - Anne went above and beyond the call of duty by helping me deal with an unexpected business issue that needed to be resolved within a short deadine. Thanks Anne I would not have managed without your help. Johannesburg has a reputation for safety concerns but we felt very secure with the arrangements that Anne has in place at Rosebank and with the advice that she gave to us to enjoy our stay. She was very welcoming to people who visited us who fully understood the security arrangements.
We were also pleased with Anne's recommendation for pick and return to the airport - thanks Darryl.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ohhdear
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was a woman travelling alone to Africa and this was where I stayed when i arrived and before I left. I was quite nervous and apprehensive but Anne made me feel welcome, comfortable, at home. She more than exceeded my expectations, arranging my transport to and from the airport (thanks to Darrell - my excellent driver), making recommendations, booking a tour and looking after all my needs. My room was beautiful and I felt safe and secure. I used Trip Advisor to choose my accommodation and I was very happy with my choice. I was extremely impressed with the personal attention I got from Anne - my stay at Rosebank helped make my trip a success. Than you Anne!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sanspen
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We booked a one week stay at the Rosebank Lodge in spite of the fact that we read the review posted on January 9, 2012. The author of the review had rated the lodge very highly, as had all other guests who had taken the time to write a review. I do remember experiencing some lingering doubts, but that was mainly due to the fact that my husband and I are a mixed race couple and this is our first visit to South Africa.

At first we thought we would take the Gautrain to Rosebank and then hire a local taxi to take us the short distance to the Lodge, but when we were quoted a very reasonable rate for a taxi to meet us at the airport, we opted to have the staff at Rosebank Lodge book a taxi for us. Everything went according to plan and all went smoothly when we arrived at the guesthouse. There was no issue with our driver entering the premises, because he is well-known to all the staff.

During the course of our stay, we were delighted to meet several other guests from around South Africa and from places far and wide. Everyone was treated with respect and kindness - as indeed they should be. To our surprise and delight, we found that two travellers from our hometown in Canada - one of South Indian descent and the other of Chinese heritage - were visiting at the same time as the two of us. It's a small world indeed.

I took the time to discuss the negative review with the owner of the Rosebank Lodge and came to understand that her strict rules are designed to ensure that her guests as accommodated as safely as possible, in a city known for its high crime rate. Only registered guests, staff and people with whom she is familiar are invited onto the premises.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SadhusWithiPods
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

fantastic location, stones throw from rosebank mall, very safe, the bed, heaven, the only negative was the way the owners treat the black south africans, our taxi driver was made to feel very inferior when he was only doing his job, he was asked to stay outside the gate, we needed to change some money to pay him, coming from australia where we treat everybody equally, it was very very embarrasing, talk of human rights violations.

Room Tip: rooms with their own entrances, give you privacy.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trimjam
BirdEyeView, Owner at Rosebank Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you J for the review and commenting on your stay. Whilst we appreciate your feedback, we would like to draw attention to the latter part of your comment and try to understand how you could have drawn such an obviously wrong conclusion from the sequence of events.

As a guest house focused on the wellbeing, privacy as well as safety and security of our clientele, we have signs up outside the entrance explaining that entry is prohibited to all but "registered guests". As the gentleman who came to pick you up for the taxi service did not announce himself, the assistant on duty (not the owner as you previously stated) insisted for the man to wait outside. This is a policy for all unannounced and unregistered persons wishing to enter our lovely guest house and it has served to protect us well, as our clientele.

Thus, that you decide to issue what is clearly a racial slur is slanderous and we wish that you had rather shown more sensitivity and spoken with us to understand the reasoning behind our safety and security policies. South Africans are proud of how far the country has come in the last 20 years and it’s a pity that you make light of our journey as a country. We hope you won’t make this mistake again during your future travels. This certainly doesn’t assist other travellers by giving incorrect off the cuff observations. We would encourage you to be far more observant before jumping to conclusions
Los Gatos, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We chose this based on trip advisor and were not disappointed. The owner, Anne was there but her husband had some surgery so Margie took over the running. She was so helpful, new to the job, but what she couldn't answer she made a point to find out. I got help with the internet acesss, she made dinner reservations and car arrangements. When my husband was ill one day, they were very helpful. The room was lovely, only the bathroom without a door to close was a bit strange. Overall a very pleasant experience and breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed here for 3 non-consecutive nights in December and it was the perfect stay to help me start my travels in South Africa.

I was apprehensive about traveling solo and walking around the neighborhood but I was pleasantly surprised with how safe it was, especially walking through the patrolled streets to Rosebank Mall.

Location, room size, breakfast and cleanliness are all fantastic but Anne, Margie, Rosie & Cynthia are the true gems of the guesthouse - I felt they went above and beyond, including letting me check in early, make dinner reservations at local restaurants and preparing a packed breakfast when I had to depart before the scheduled breakfast time.
Would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling to Jo'burg, from families to business travelers to solo travelers.

• Stayed December 2011