“70th birthday”

Ranked #647 of 1,310 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

We booked at "The Kings Table" for the special event and were not disappointed by the venue, cuisine or the service! Period costume is on hire at the venue ( we were advised that each costume is cleaned after every wearing) and it really sets the tone. Events are presided over by "The Baron" who does an excellent job in keeping the party going. Food is served in stages and is generally of good quality and of ample quantity. It is mostly eaten by fingers although soup, or rather broth, is drunk straight from the bowl. Mead, a brew made from honey, is served in goblets, the 1st goblet being in with the all-in- price which one pays. Further drinks are at your own discretion for which there is a tab system. The venue decor is period with a huge roaring fire on cold days. Altogether a great experience. If there is a downside, most of the entertainment is self generated by The Baron, with the addition of a guitar playing " minstrel" I have seen and heard better! Altogether an experience to be treasured,especially for a special event. I would not recommend going as a couple, but rather as part of a bigger party.

Reviewed 3 February 2016

This was a lot of fun. From the time you arrive you are immersed in the medieval theme. Even the road to the restaurant made you feel like you're driving to a castle in the woods. The costume hire was very quick and efficient and lots of fun to choose something to wear. The entertainment in the restaurant was great. The Baron made sure everyone had a good time. The food was fine and there was enough for everyone.

Reviewed 24 November 2015

Greensleeves was a year-end function choice for me, and I really found it to be an experience that didn't disappoint anyone! From the very beginning, on arrival the buildings, decor and 'Merlin's Costume Hire' with the dress-up options excited everyone and transported us into another place and time! The entertainment was "bawdy" and fun, and the 'Baron' and his Troubadours encouraged/coerced all of us all into singing and participating with our wooden sticks which really was great! I loved their themed touches everywhere and their incredible attention to detail inside when it came to making us feel Medieval!

Now for the food: The food was served in hearty and generous portions, and I could almost imagine myself in the medieval times from their 'Goblet of Mead' - Chick Pea Pâté and Flat breads - Broth of venison, Beef, root vegetables and fresh herbs, served with home baked bread - "Four and Twenty" Chyken and Potherb Pye - Spit roasted Chyken, and roasted aged Beef, served with earthapples, potherbs and gravy.. everything fit! The dessert for me was especially good: Dutch Malva pudding and “Icy Syllabub”! I loved the gardens and special touches everywhere you looked.

*Recommendation: I would recommend Greensleeves if you love a good dress-up and although I found it to be expensive, there really isn't anywhere quite like Greensleeves if you are looking for something different!

Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

Went at the last minute just 2 of us. I do think a bigger group is a good idea. Having said that we enjoyed it thoroughly.

On a Friday traffic from johannesburg can be hectic. It took us 2 hours for what should be a 45 minute drive.

We decided to take a room so as to be able to drink and not drive back.

There are only 4 rooms at greensleeves. Our room was lovely and clean. Well stocked with everything for a nights stay. Shampoo soap etc etc. Bed is a little hard but was fine. Breakfast included is a picnic hamper. It was a continental affair. Be aware it's mainly ham and even the quiche had bacon. If you don't eat it let them know. I don't and I didn't so I never ate much. Was well presented and looks fresh. Fruit and yogurt were good. Nice touch breakfast hamper you can eat outside on the patio or in bed.

One issue is checkout at 10 is a bit early considering the reason to stay!

As you arrive you get some outfits all very clean and authentic. Free as well! Just leave your own clothes there and after you swap back.

The feast itself was awesome they keep you entertained all evening. It's a lot of fun and the mc (owner?) Is awfully funny. It's very interactive and it's just fun

Food is fresh and I guess pretty authentic of the period. There is a lot of food you won't go hungry. I felt supper was a tad rushed. I suppose it's 5 courses and with entertainment it takes a while. However I did feel like we were being hurried along.

All in all vert worthwhile for locals and visitors you will definitely enjoy it.

Reviewed 3 September 2015 via mobile

I was 16 when I went so it was awhile ago but truelly such a fun event. I thought I was going to hate it cause I was "dragged along" for family but the concept is great the host was so funny and it was just a good experience