“Luxury stopover”

Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

I booked The Westcliff as a two night stopover to and from Mauritius. I knew the hotel as I had a fabulous birthday meal at their Flames restaurants a few years back. I enjoyed the restaurant so much that I booked it again and it didn’t disappoint. Their game offer in particular is excellent - try the Ostrich!
Now to the property: friendly Four Seasons Service all around and gorgeous setting. Our Suite had a lovely balcony with views over Johannesburg. The bed was super comfortable and the shower had great water pressure - basics, but they are important to me. The Suite was very spacious with various areas to relax and I loved the attention to detail with fresh African flowers decorating the room. The spa is brand new and gorgeous, but on fortunately I didn’t have enough time to try a treatment on this occasion. I think the Four Seasons is definitely the best choice when in Johannesburg and I’d book it again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Arriving in to Jo'burg we found out that it was cheaper to stay at the Four Seasons than it was for us to take a flight out that day instead of the day after... so naturally one would decide to hit the Four Seasons being that it's one of the best world brands this globe of ours has.

Upon arrival we found out that the grounds used to be a hill side housing estate - a very expensive estate at that due to some of the buildings still having garages.

The reception staff were really very nice and wished us a good honeymoon...

However from there on it that was it.

I'd organised our stay months in advance and said that it was our honeymoon and even chose to eat within the grounds at the View restaurant for our evening meal, (this was an excellent choice - I will write a whole separate review for this), and then I thought we'd try their brunch at the Flames restaurant which I will also leave a separate review for.

A week before we were flying out I had an e-mail from the 'special occasions team' which were obviously trying to sell me a package for our honeymoon celebrations and to be honest we would have just gotten off a flight at 9am from a 12 hour flight so brunch and dinner were all we really needed... Point about that fact is that from saying we didn't want any of the 'special' services this meant we pretty much got nothing.

None of the restaurants or staff knew it was our honeymoon even though I'd pretty much plastered it all over the hotel and there wasn't even rose petals on the bed, (which is a global standard), meaning there definitely was no cheap complimentary bottle of plonk to break our honeymoon in.

Understandably these are all none expected extras, however for a special occassion this really took the edge of it being a special experience and more like a 'yes we just want your money' experience.

All in all for one night of our lives, £850 escaped my wallet including the brunch and the meal at View in the evening.

A very expensive day for what was perhaps not the most personable experience.

AMAZING views for what is known as a concrete city - so green and a very wrong stereotype of the part of the city we were in.

Little tip is if you go and it's raining, make sure you ask for a sheltered balcony - if it's not raining then try and get on that's not sheltered.

Room Tip: Get a room with a panoramic view
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

We flew into Johannesburg from afar and decided to stay one night in Johannesburg to freshen up before we our way to Sabi Sands. Being a bit apprehensive about our first time in Johannesburg, we decided to stay at the Four Seasons as we know it’s a brand we can trust.

After being on the plane for 13 hours, it was greatly appreciated that the hotel allowed us to have an extremely early check in! This helped us enormously as we were able to freshen up before we head out to the Apartheid Museum and Soweto.

The property is beautiful and it truly felt like an oasis. The bed were quite possibly one of the best we have slept in a hotel. We had dinner at Flame and grabbed our seats before the sunset - a must if you are staying at the property. Another plus is that the hotel was quite quiet which probably explains why they could arrange an early check in and not having loads of guests also meant that we could get a very good night of sleep with zero noise.

We will definitely stay here again and would highly recommend for others to do so particularly for those who might be tempted just to stay at the Intercontinental at the airport for the night before their safari.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our return visit to the Westcliff while visiting JHB recently. We were made to feel very special with a room upgrade and a bottle of sparkling wine in our room in lieu of our anniversary falling over the same time. The staff were extremely attentive and the service was out of this world. We travel a lot for business and rate the Westcliff as one of the best we have experienced in all categories: room, service, food, facilities, location, view etc. We want to thank the management and staff very much for making our few days so memorable.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

This was meant to be a special evening. I had confirmed and paid for a celebration package - I reconfirmed on the morning we arrived. None of what I paid for was delivered, carpets in rooms dirty, breakfast not great, house keeping knocking at room at 7:30 to bring towels - totally bad and unexpected service from Four Seasons

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

This was the first place we stayed as part of our honeymoon trip in SA and it was fab! Such a lovely location and they made us feel very special with a delivery of bubbles and chocolate strawberry to congratulate us. The complex is very much like apartment living and the rooms were spacious and very well decorated. Unfortunately we only stayed for one night but I would recommend it! Also, pre-book the spa if you want a treatment, they are very busy!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2017

The Hotel is stunning, ambience and view is lovely.I was there on business and definitely will go back with my family for leisure. Staff there is top class. Food quite pricey but deserves it, food experience was lovely.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business