“Home Away From Home”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I have spent countless hours (alone and with friends) at The Foundry's bar watching football and tennis. The bartenders are, by far, my favorites in Johannesburg. I'm a total sucker for good service and a friendly vibe. The Foundry provides an enormous amount of both.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

The Foundry is a great spot for a casual dining, either sharing one of their boards and some tapas plates or digging in to one of their delicious single meals. It has a great street cafe vibe, with the restaurant opening on to the road. They have a creative aperitif menu and if it wasn't a business lunch, i most certainly would have tried the 'cup a tea, please', an Inverroche gin aperitif infused with strawberry and cream tea and tonic. There is also an expansive craft beer menu with brewers from all over South Africa. We shared the tasting board, lamb coftas, chilli chicken wings, tuna ceviche tacos and soy squids which were all fantastic. Highly recommended for a chilled vibe with great food.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I stopped by here for a quick late lunch mid-afternoon on a Friday after having heard that they serve very good pub food (grub). It still being early on a Friday, the restaurant was not too packed and so noise levels were subtle and the ambience was lovely and allowing for an intimate meal.

We opted to order the Pulled Pork Butt and Chorizo and Empire Chicken (curry on a pizza!) sourdough pizzas in wanting to be adventurous as we had never considered such toppings on pizza to begin with. Both tasted wonderful, providing a burst of lovely flavours for the palate and their +/-30cm pizzas had us feeling stuffed and satiated pretty quickly.

Our waiter was made himself available throughout to check on us. I would definitely recommend this place for their tasty pub food and ambience that pushed for good vibes and for anyone looking for a chilled meal anytime during the week.

As an aside, I had forgotten my purse at the restaurant and panicked after I had left thinking the worst and that I was unlikely to find it again. However, upon returning I found that the waiters had handed it in to the manager who had put it aside in a safe place for me. A very lovely place with good, honest service. Thank you, Foundry

Reviewed 30 July 2017

The Foundry is a combination bar and sit down restaurant with the coziness needed for evening dining in winter in Johannesburg. We had a lovely meal with family during the week. The staff were attentive and swift and the food interesting. The beer looks good with an wide selection of draft beers from the "craft" market place. The food was a good range of offers from well priced up, and from the simple to the elaborate with enough to satisfy the vegetarians in the party.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I love the mural - yes I know this is about food, but had to say it.
Food is good and this is an easy dining place.
Just very noisy on the inside - no furnishings to absorb sound. If you want to talk and not scream - sit outside