“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #101 of 1,352 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Red Chilli Spice offers customers a variety of authentic Indian dishes in a contemporary and causal setting. Aiming to be a local favourite by creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere. We cater for all our customers to ensure that both their meal and service are kept to the highest standards.
Reviewed September 6, 2017

We found Red Chilli Spice by accident as it is rather hidden away upstairs at The Colony Centre. The food is very good, tasty and ample portions with a good variety to suit all tastes. The decor is pleasing and the restaurant spacious. Best of all, it is quiet because it is roomy and no loud music. So good conversation can be enjoyed alongside good food. Service is attentive but not obtrusive. We are always on the look out for alternative Indian restaurants that offer good food. This is another one to add to our choices and we have already taken friends there.

Reviewed September 6, 2017

We are quite experienced with our indian foods and when we moved to Johannesburg, found Dehli Darbar and were quite satisfied. We moved to a new house and discovered that Red Chilli Spice was nearby and thought we'd give it a shot. It was 'ok'. We did a takeaway so that may account for something, but not sure if it would have been different had we eaten in. Regardless, the portions are small, overpriced, the flavours fine, but WAAAAYYYY too much salt. Had a prawn korma that had 6 prawns that I asked for extra hot. It was not very hot (spicy) and for the R142, not only did I think the portion would be larger, but that there would be more than 6 prawns. The lamb in our dish was tender, the butter chicken was tasty. I can't really complain, but ...... over R500 for 4 dishes??? Think I'll stick with Dehli Darbar.

Reviewed April 29, 2017 via mobile

I believe this is probably one of the most underrated curry places in Johannesburg.My husband and I love this curry place because the food and service is good while being reasonably priced.I usually have the Butter Chicken while my husband prefers the Lamb Korma.We usually also add a Butter Naan which is perfect for the saucy dishes.Would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed April 19, 2017

This restaurants was close to my house so I used to order here for delivery but one day I decided to just walk-in for a meal and was not disappointed. The interior is not much to write home about, and it was rather empty with guests sitting at tables very far apart, but the service was very efficient and friendly. My favorite dish here is the chicken korma. But whatever I order, I always order "mild" because even the medium is way too hot for me!

1  Thank Ilse020
Reviewed April 12, 2017 via mobile

The restaurant lacks a little atmosphere but certainly made up for it in taste. Beautifully prepared samoosas, poppadoms and pakora. Followed by generous portions of tasty lamb curry. Highly tecommend butter chicken or lamb breyani.