“This experience will stay with us”

Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist
Ranked #13 of 152 Tours in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a daily trip into Soweto and other Townships such as Alexandra and Diepsloot, South Africa, as a photojournalist and discover exciting happenings in the Townships. As we set out we plan a theme. It could be people staring out their shack windows, residents with umbrellas (see here) or growing food or whatever we decide. I photograph, you photograph and at the end of the trip, you will receive a CD with photos of the trip or the photos dropboxed to you. We discuss what makes great photo! Improve on photography while enjoying South African township life. Join us up to 5 people per group. Bring Cameras! A hat for the sun. Most of all, bring your creativity!
Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

Ilan gave us the most memorable day in Soweto and Johannesburg. He is so kind and personable and it was a joy to spend the day with him. Ilan got to know our interests and geared the tour towards those things. We loved visiting a traditional medicine shop and seeing the street art around the city and in Soweto. We got to meet so many wonderful people throughout Kliptown and Ilan really facilitated great interactions that allowed us to get a sense of the community. It is really clear how much he cares about the area and we felt lucky to be able to see some of the initiatives he’s started. On top of all of this, he went out of his way to ensure that we saw the Soweto Big Five — even our safari in Pilanesberg couldn’t give us that! We can’t wait to see the photos from this day, as it was such a special one.

TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the kind words on TripAdvisor.
It was a pleasure to take you all to Soweto with me.
I am glad that you got to see the big five of Soweto.
I have sent you a link to the photos on Dropbox.
I hope you like them.
Looking forward to hosting you again when you are in South Africa.
Cheers

All reviews
"incredible photos"
"takes photos"
in 3 reviews
"the hector pieterson museum"
in 9 reviews
"eye opening"
in 4 reviews
"mandela's house"

Reviewed September 17, 2018

My family (wife and 8 yr old daughter) and I spent a day with Ilan in June of this year while passing through Jo'burg. Originally we viewed this as a down day leading up to our safari, but it quickly turned into a highlight from our trip. Ilan's close, personal relationship with the residents of Kliptown in Soweto, allowed for an at ease interaction that made our visit. This is an absolute must do experience and I cannot recommend Ilan highly enough. You will not be disappointed

Reviewed September 13, 2018

I booked a personalized tour six months ago with pick up and drop off for my parents who were visiting me in Pretoria. They paid more than other tour companies for a personal, special experience. While they enjoyed the day, they were promised copies of the pictures taken. Despite following up several times they never received their photos documenting their day in Soweto, nor did they receive a response to their emails. They are very disappointed.

TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Hi Arun
How are you?
I apologize if you did not get the photos.
I have just sent you a link to the photos on Dropbox from the trip.
I know that everyone gets their photos from the trip.

What can and does happen is that sometime the email goes into the spam and people never check there.
Or that I have uploaded them to Dropbox and haven't sent out the link.
So please check your email as I have sent you the photos.
By the way, I adopted the dog from Kliptown and is now with me family safe and enjoying life.
His name is Klippie, from Kliptown.
Please let me know when you get the photos.
Thanks so much

Reviewed September 5, 2018

We are two Kiwis and had been recommended Ilan through a friend, and we are so glad we took the opportunity to see Soweto and Joberg with him.
If you love Coffee - ask him to take you to the Ethiopian coffee house in central Joberg in the morning first.
After this we had an enlightening experience with him in Soweto where he proudly showed us some of the new programs he is assisting the community with including the local Kindy and a playground for the children of Kliptown. Further to this though we met some amazing people and were thankful to Ilan for sharing his love and passion of the place with us.
Thanks again
Rob and Lara

TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2018

Hi Rob and Lara,
How are you all?
It was great to show you around and get an amazing experience of Soweto and the spirit of South Africa through "Ubuntu" We are all one.
Thanks for showing me the intricacies of doing the "Haka:.
By now you should have received your photos.
Cheers and see you back in South Africa again.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to find Ilan and spend the day with him in Soweto and downtown Johannesburg. His passion is infectious and we learned so many interesting things about the area the history and the beautiful people. That is the biggest Takeaway for us is how beautiful the people are and how fortunate we were to really meet them and talk with them and laugh with them. Our young adult children were so impressed. Thank you Ilan and we will never forget it!

Travellers who viewed Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist also viewed

Johannesburg, Greater Johannesburg

Been to Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist? Share your experiences!