Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist
Ranked #13 of 166 Tours in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a daily trip into Soweto and other Townships such as Alexandra and Diepsloot, South Africa, as a photojournalist and discover exciting happenings in the Townships. As we set out we plan a theme. It could be people staring out their shack windows, residents with umbrellas (see here) or growing food or whatever we decide. I photograph, you photograph and at the end of the trip, you will receive a CD with photos of the trip or the photos dropboxed to you. We discuss what makes great photo! Improve on photography while enjoying South African township life. Join us up to 5 people per group. Bring Cameras! A hat for the sun. Most of all, bring your creativity!
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went on a tour to Soweto with Ilan Ossendryver a few days ago. It was an amazing experience. We visited a traditional "Medicine" shop in down town Johannesburg which was interesting. We then went on to Kliptown where Ilan supports a creche. Kliptown is the "forgotten" township of Soweto. There is no running water in the houses and the streets are unpaved. Ilan is known by everyone and was greeted by them in the street. The kids come running and hug him when they see him. We then went to visit the "other" side of Soweto, which was very interesting. There had been much development and the streets are tarred, there are street lights, lots of trees and there are parks. Ilan is passionate about Soweto and the trip was an eye-opener and certainly changed our mind about South Africa. A trip with Ilan is highly recommend!

Date of experience: October 2018
TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2018

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for the beautiful review.
It was a pleasure to take you on the journey into Soweto.
As well as heading into downtown Johannesburg to feel the vibe of the city.
In the next few days, I will be sending you the link to the photos of the trip.

All reviews
"great photographer"
in 3 reviews
"everyday lives"
in 2 reviews
"welcomed us with open arms"
"white man"
"their lives"
in 7 reviews
"personal trip"
"unique experience"
in 7 reviews
"the hector pieterson museum"
in 9 reviews
"real south"
in 3 reviews
"fabulous tour"

Reviewed October 6, 2018

It was definitely the best decision we have made. The tour was interesting & exciting. Touring Soweto meeting the people with the guidance of Ilan gave us a different perspective on the life there and about the people. It definitely changed our rest of the trip in a good way. Mostly recommended.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank talula r
TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2018

Hi Thanks so much for your words regarding the trip.
Hope you will come back to South Africa again so that I can show you more of Soweto and the amazing people there.

Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

Ilan gave us the most memorable day in Soweto and Johannesburg. He is so kind and personable and it was a joy to spend the day with him. Ilan got to know our interests and geared the tour towards those things. We loved visiting a traditional medicine shop and seeing the street art around the city and in Soweto. We got to meet so many wonderful people throughout Kliptown and Ilan really facilitated great interactions that allowed us to get a sense of the community. It is really clear how much he cares about the area and we felt lucky to be able to see some of the initiatives he’s started. On top of all of this, he went out of his way to ensure that we saw the Soweto Big Five — even our safari in Pilanesberg couldn’t give us that! We can’t wait to see the photos from this day, as it was such a special one.

Date of experience: September 2018
TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the kind words on TripAdvisor.
It was a pleasure to take you all to Soweto with me.
I am glad that you got to see the big five of Soweto.
I have sent you a link to the photos on Dropbox.
I hope you like them.
Looking forward to hosting you again when you are in South Africa.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

My family (wife and 8 yr old daughter) and I spent a day with Ilan in June of this year while passing through Jo'burg. Originally we viewed this as a down day leading up to our safari, but it quickly turned into a highlight from our trip. Ilan's close, personal relationship with the residents of Kliptown in Soweto, allowed for an at ease interaction that made our visit. This is an absolute must do experience and I cannot recommend Ilan highly enough. You will not be disappointed

Date of experience: June 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed September 13, 2018

I booked a personalized tour six months ago with pick up and drop off for my parents who were visiting me in Pretoria. They paid more than other tour companies for a personal, special experience. While they enjoyed the day, they were promised copies of the pictures taken. Despite following up several times they never received their photos documenting their day in Soweto, nor did they receive a response to their emails. They are very disappointed.

Date of experience: March 2018
TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Hi Arun
How are you?
I apologize if you did not get the photos.
I have just sent you a link to the photos on Dropbox from the trip.
I know that everyone gets their photos from the trip.

What can and does happen is that sometime the email goes into the spam and people never check there.
Or that I have uploaded them to Dropbox and haven't sent out the link.
So please check your email as I have sent you the photos.
By the way, I adopted the dog from Kliptown and is now with me family safe and enjoying life.
His name is Klippie, from Kliptown.
Please let me know when you get the photos.
Thanks so much
Ilan

Travellers who viewed Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist also viewed

Soweto, Johannesburg

Johannesburg, Greater Johannesburg

Been to Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist? Share your experiences!