“Great restaurant with downsides”
Review of The Big Mouth

The Big Mouth
Ranked #16 of 1,462 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Description: The Big Mouth is a contemporary take on the classic diner infused with culinary influences and ingredients from around the globe.
Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

With a sushi craving, we visted Big Mouth.

First issue is that as a busy mall restaurant, tables are small and crammed together tightly. While I understand their need to accommodate lots of diners, it makes it impossible to order several plates of sushi at the same time. Don't even try asking for a larger table, you are seated as per the number of people there. Instead of ordering 5 or 6 sushi plates as we normally do, we reduced to 1. The restaurant also makes it clear that you are expected to be in and out in an hour max. Feeling that rush did not put me at ease. With curvy backed chairs, I had to ask for an extra chair to put my handbag (does anyone put a bag on the floor?). Again another element makingit hard to fall in love with Big Mouth.

That was however my only downsides. The service is friendly and professional, with excellent sushi. Well made rolls and sandwiches with amazing flavors. Instead of my normal bottle of wine when relaxed and happy with ambience, I ordered a solitary lonely glass. I was impressed that there is a variety of types available by the glass.

Overall, good place to stop when rushing to a movie but better value sushi and ambience can be found elsewhere.

Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

Visited with my wife last night and then again with the kids today for lunch. Firstly the service is excellent. Last night we had Duma, who was top notch - very attentive and friendly. She gave good suggestions and noting was a problem. Enjoyed the Seared Tuna and Mussel Pot.
Today we were attended to by Sherry, who was also excellent. Very friendly and attentive. It makes such a difference when the waitrons are professional and on top of their game. Excellent sushi today, as well as the grilled prawns and chicken wings.
Always a pleasure coming to The Big Mouth.

Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant had a wide variety of intercontinental food on offer. On referral, their sushi specifically and seafood in general is said to be really good. I had a smoked salmon dish (forget the name) but it had specialty cheese and veggies and was very pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately I couldn’t take pictures as my phone battery was out.

The ambience was great and service was good until the server lady made the mistake of giving my cutlery to our friend, a regular, before getting a replacement for me. That act was totally unnecessary and lost the restaurant my personal referrals and a five star rating in my review.

Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

A friend and I are at Big Mouth, and I had the best sushi I've eaten in Africa. The menu has so many options that we went back the next day for another meal. Definitely worth a visit; you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

Hungry, order here and one plate will and can fill you for the day. Most of all taste is good as well as the service.