“Something for everyone”
Review of The Countess

The Countess
Ranked #162 of 1,464 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Description: The Countess is an authentic American diner smokehouse combination. The steampunk interior is fun and cozy. We source the best ingredients and make everything ourselves, even the ketchup. We have a quirky and relaxed atmosphere and pride ourselves on friendly and welcoming service. Large selection of local craft beers on tap and always something interesting on the winelist. Our brisket, burgers, handcut chips and pot de creme dessert are infamous. Safe basement parking in a shopping center made from shipping containers. We do awesome year end functions and parties for up to 200 people!
Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

Went for lunch with our kids (12,11). We had a platter - choose 5 starters. There was something for all to enjoy. I liked the salted caramel and popcorn milkshake. I must say that it is very sweet, but good!

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank elmien2

Reviewed June 19, 2018

Spend a lovely evening at The Countess. Selection of Craft Beer and you absolutely have to try the brisket or a burger. Top notch.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed May 5, 2018

From great service to excellent food, we enjoyed the decor and feel of the restaurant. The waiter was helpful with food selections. Rib Eye steak done to perfection

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Colleen N
Reviewed April 14, 2018

Had a very nice meal here, starting with a plate of beer battered fish before moving on to the prime rib and finishing with a chocolat pot de creme (dark chocolate mousse(ish) served next to a tiny scoop of vanilla ice cream). Everything tasted delightful, however the service was hit and miss. I specifically requested my appetizer come out before my steak but the waitress brought both at once, acknowledging my request and saying she "hopes its alright" as she put the two plates down next to each other in front of me. Not much later, I ordered a beer, was brought the wrong beer, was told it was indeed the right beer, and then some minutes later without my prompting was finally given the correct beer and had the incorrect one whisked away. There was a huge party stressing out the waitresses at the time, and I have the feeling I just got unlucky so won't knock them too much for the errors.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 5, 2018

27 Boxes in Melville is an eclectic mix of unusual shops and dining venues all housed in what used to be shipping containers, and The Countess is without doubt one of the best choices for excellent food with a difference. We haven’t tried their breakfast menu yet but their main menu offers a wide range of delights including burgers, salads, smoked dishes and interesting starters, of which the best way to sample is to order a plank and pick a selection, including two of their deep-fried pickles. They now have their liquor licence and were kind enough to offer us a complimentary cocktail to start.

Date of visit: February 2018