All reviews park station south africa cbd newton safety jhb uber mall facilities security
Reviewed August 5, 2018

I have stayed at this hotel several times before. And up until this last trip I found it convenient and clean. It had become mine and my colleagues' first choice when in Johannesburg for business. But my stay from Wednesday August 1 to Saturday August 3 was really off-putting. The first problem was that although I asked for a room change when I checked-in, I was given a room on the not-so-quite side of the hotel although the hotel seemed not have many customers. The worst of my experience was that the floor I was on was very very noisy on Friday night. I was kept up the whole night till the early hours of Saturday. Several attempts to reach the staff to take care of the situation were unsuccessful as the phone went unanswered.
I had also requested a wake-up call. None came. I was nearly late for my meetings.
On the positive side, the assistant manager apologised profusely when I complained on Saturday morning. He assured me that my next stay will be better. I shall give the hotel another chance.

Room tip: Insist on a room on the quieter side.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
The_CLHG_Team, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Newtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2018

Thank you for staying with us and thank you even more for giving us another chance to impress. Please accept our apologies for your experience. Unfortunately, rooms were only available on the "not so quiet side" due to ceiling repairs being undertaken in our rooms. We are sorry to hear about the noise from other guests - the hotel did try to limit this disruption. As far as the wake-up call is concerned, hotel management has taken this up with the staff concerned. We look forward to welcoming you back - with a better experience.

Reviewed July 30, 2018

The rooms are a decent size, comfortable and clean. The bed is comfortable and an amazing shower with powerful shower pressure. There is a safe in the room and excellent internet access. The hotel is just across a mall, so it is easy to get food across at the various restaurants, or simply call the restaurants who can deliver to your room.
Breakfast is an ok spread. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. For a short stay, it is a good place if you have business in downtown Johannesburg.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
The_CLHG_Team, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Newtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2018

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad to hear that we met your expectations. It is always very rewarding to receive such a great feedback. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed April 19, 2018

I travel to Johannesburg at least once or twice a month to visit my head office and always stay in a City Lodge group hotel since their quality in South Africa is very consistent across the country.
I chose the City Lodge in Newtown due to its location to my office in the city. In the past I have always stayed in the suburbs because I was concerned about safety in the city centre.
What a massive surprise this hotel was I have now stayed twice and can confirm that my initial experience was exceeded on the second visit.
Rooms are of the usual standard expected for a City Lodge accept that the hotel is still new with modern stylish finishes. The open plan shower is great!
The views from my room on the top floor over the city scape are incredible. I saw a highveld thunderstorm approach and roll across the city. The flash display was incredible.
What sets this hotel apart is the staff. Their friendliness, willingness and passion is incredible. Front desk are friendly and welcoming. Restaurant/bar staff are accommodating and engaging.
Management are knowledgeable and passionate. I was approached out of the blue by Lusapho, who later informed me that he is the Jnr Assistant Manager. He asked about my meal and proceeded to tell me about the history of the hotel, the city and the area around the hotel. He did not force conversation or interrupt me but rather gauged my availability to have a chat. He showed me around the facilities and incredible artwork (check out the cement mural), shared highlights of the hotel since it opened and informed me about facilities around the hotel including restaurants, pubs, theatre and the old Park station. The Park station was a particular highlight since the hotel group helps a local start-up by offering use of facilities in order to develop young, local talent. A great and practical social investment story.
Meals including a light pub style evening menu and breakfast far exceeded my expectations.
Safety is not a massive issue but as with any global city I would not venture out alone on the streets at night. Very safe to drive or Uber around as I did.

Room tip: Stay on the road side to experience incredible sunrise or the mall side to see a great African sunset.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
The_CLHG_Team, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Newtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2018

Thank you for staying with us and we are so glad that you had a great stay! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2017

I was hesitant to make a booking here but I'm glad my worries were put to rest upon arrival. I'm not a fan of flying so my drive from Durban to Johannesburg was long & weary and upon arrival, the crisp reception (even at the late hour of arrival) and the booking specificity of a QUIET room was met without hassle. The parking is included and to a T in putting any nerves to rest whilst staying there and is sincerely secure. This project is a living testament to turning things around in the CBD area and I must say I can only see good things to arrive in the future. I did stay a week for business and the cleanliness is impeccable (though a little too efficient) and though I didn't partake of the breakfast (considering my hectic schedule), I would recommend it for any single, no-nonsense business executive in a heartbeat. Driving is a must but that's a given in South Africa already. Great job and I hope that it stays that way

Room tip: Book direct via the City Lodge website and do scout their 'DEALS' section for a discount code.
Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank Nav_Chan_SA
The_CLHG_Team, The CLHG Team at City Lodge Hotel Newtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2017

Thank you for staying with us and for the wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that everything met your needs and expectations. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2017 via mobile

Undoubtedly the best and safe find in this part of Johannesburg. Offers typical City Lodge decor and furniture but adds a lot more to renewal of Newtown. Quiet, safe and clean. No more headaches about where to sleep in Central Joburg.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
CLHG_PR_Consultant, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Newtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2017