See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

This used to be a very nice place for a quick stop to and from the airport. So when we were travelling to South Africa we decided to stay in African Moon for one night. On arrival the gate was closed and nobody answered our calls. After about 15 minutes a sleepy guard arrived and we were shown to our room. This was all done in a brisk, quite unfriendly way. Next morning we discovered that breakfast was a joke. A few pieces of toast, some marmelade and a jar of peanutbutter was all there was. We had to go to the kitchen to ask if some eggs could be arranged. It was clear that this guesthouse is now a hostel for students who walked in and out collecting their lunchbags from the kitchen. Never again!!!!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rinsked2014
Reviewed May 24, 2017

We did a online booking and paid via credit c. Received an email with confirmation, booking number etc. But when we got there the receptionist didnt know about our booking. Even after we showed her the screenshot of the email with all info needed she still couldnt help. We had to call home and ask someone there to send the exact same email that African moon sends to us Back to African moon.( the same email we showed her a screenshot of). Then she help us.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed April 7, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this lodge for 4 months thus far and I agree with many of the other reviews that the staff at this lodge are very racist. If you're not black then unfortunately you won't be treated well. They are very unwelcoming and do not cater to your needs. All our privileges were taken away (breakfast, supper, spending money given by our company, cleaning services, transport to work, laundry and the list just goes on) just because our baby stays with us which I accepted. However, other people who also have babies and spouses living with them still get all the perks only because they are black!

Furthermore, our room was very unhygienic and the owner refused to move us. Eventually when my son ended up in hospital due to bacteria he picked up they decided to move us.

We then got moved to African Moon where the rooms were much better and pleasant to stay at. However we had no TV channels for 3 weeks, we had to fight with staff on a daily basis just to get it to work. Very very frustrating!

First time coming to Johannesburg and what an unpleasant experience.

I WOULD NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY AT THIS LODGE.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2017

The stay at African Moon wasn't very pleasant. I had a room where the shower was like basically in the bedroom and the room wasn't spacious at all...so when you shower the entire room is hot. The shower head was leaking and I asked someone to fix it and he said he was coming back but did not return so eventually I fixed it myself. My room didn't look anything like in the pictures. Breakfast wasn't great at all. We got served an extremely cold breakfast and the next day I even skipped breakfast.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed August 18, 2016

It is 1:00am GMT and I am writing my review as I just left the African Moon Corporate Guesthouse less than 1 hour ago! I made my reservation weeks ago and it was confirmed by PHONE AND EMAIL AND THEIR OWN WEBSITE of my stay yet BEATRICE THE OWNER EMAILED ME DURING MY 20 HOUR INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT (AS IF I HAD EMAIL ACCESS ON MY FLIGHT) WITH MY SMALL CHILD AND CANCELLED MY RESERVATION! What owner of an establishment emails a customer the day of their stay and cancels after they gave them 3 confirmations of their stay? Not to mention, no one came to the door for over an hour costing me an extra amount for my poor uber driver who felt bad that my child and I were locked out of the hotel in the middle of the night. So finally Brad (African Moon staff member who was just as frustrated yet he was very kind) opened the gate, he phone Beatrice immediately. Beatrice, being the irresponsible property owner she is, had the audacity to ask Brad "What color is she?" as he was trying to resolve the issue. She also worked diligently to lay the burden and her missteps on Brad verses accepting full responsibility! To make matters worse she even instructed Brad to LET US SLEEP IN THE OFFICE ON THE COUCH IN THE RECEPTION AREA! Brad who had too much character and integrity disagreed and took time in the middle of the night to phone a nearby property to let us stay.
Beatrice is a racist disgrace! She is underserving of her role and should remove herself from management. So if you are looking for a racist, unorganised, unprofessional property...you've definitely come to the right place!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family