“good friendly staff”

African Tribes Guest Lodge
African Tribes Guest Lodge
Reviewed 19 July 2011

the african tribe guest lodge,me and a work mate stopped there for 5 days and were made to feel at home ,very friendly staff my room as of a high standard and cleaned daily,it was winter time but the beds have electric blankets which done the job,we were driven anywhere we wanted to go dropped off and picked up,we were given free train tickets ,taken to he station and picked up on our return,,overall we were made welcome when far away from home,oh and fee internet was available,,woudl like to thank pieter and his staff for a great stay in south africa keep up the good work and hope to see you all soon

Room Tip: internal rooms in the winter are alot warmer
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mrtsilivi

Reviewed 1 July 2011

A friend and I stayed one night at African Beat and then a few weeks later at African Tribe. Found they are owned by the same family, so sometimes you may get transferred from one facility to another. Louise was the manager at both places - she's superb! She went out of her way to be sure we had all our needs met.

African Beat is a smaller place - more like a converted home. Beds were comfortable; bathroom somewhat small and beat-up in appearance, but everything was clean.

African Tribes is more like a small hotel/motel. Has a small indoor swimming pool and conference center. Room we had was more luxurious, but needed some minor maintenance (heater didn't work; phone cord pulled out from wall). Again, overall room and bathroom were clean and beds very comfortable.

If you're in Jo'burg in winter months during a cold spell, don't expect much heat in such guesthouses. Dining room was unheated and quite cold in the morning. Everyone ate breakfast in their coats (but no hats and gloves!).

Overall would recommend either place as a reasonably priced place to stay, especially if you want someplace close to airport. All staff (not just Louise) were very cheerful and helpful. Would definitely stay there again if ever in Jo'burg.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This was an overnight stay between flights. It was our first time in South Africa, and this was our first accomodation. I had been concerned about some of the "mold" comments. However, we found the the hotel very clean, no mold. Bathroom was modern. The best feature is definately the staff. They function almost as a family unit, and we felt like very welcome guests. They were at the airport waiting for us when we arrived, and took us back in t he morning. We had supper and breakfast there and found it very tasty. We loved the "South African decor, and definately would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andwright
Reviewed 9 April 2011

My stay at African Tribes was in one word - excellant! With all the friendly and welcoming assistance from the staff I easily managed to survive the hustle and bustle of Gauteng! I enjoyed my stay and will certainly promote African Triibes to all my colleagues and friends!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Great staff and service. Children loved the pool and the bird. Would go back anytime.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Helouise074
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We had the best time with a beautiful room and friendly and helpful staff catering for every need. The food was of a very high standard and very tasty with attention to detail. Highly recommended place to stay close to everything.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjvn
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Being a South African by birth, I expected my trip back to SA for a friends wedding to be a nostalgic and memory filled event, and coupled with other experiences, my stay at African Tribes certainly contributed positively to this. The owners are friendly, and always ready to accommodate, even chatting with me over a glass of wine in the cool evenings. The location is near to the airport, yet tucked away in a residential area, a peaceful and homely environment. They have secure parking inside the premises and I felt safe coming back from the wedding I attended at the country club nearby late at night.
The rooms are clean and cosy, with a hint of an african theme, and the bathroom amenities were spotlessly clean. The food was most welcome, on all 3 occasions that I ate at the venue. Breakfast was a simple affair, and the coffee was great! Dinner was a good homely meal. I really would like to thank all the staff at African Tribes for their hospitality, and making my stay back in my home country a warm welcome.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo