US$88
US$68
US$85
US$212
TripAdvisor
All reviewstransport deskcamelot spapond watermorning buffetbar menunice business hoteltea and coffeenice stayshort staybar fridgejohannesburgrevampconferencesetupproximitysurroundings
Reviewed October 14, 2017 via mobile

I often use the Protea Midrand for business stays. Rooms are comfortable but road noise is a factor if you on the wrong side. Dinner was tasty but breakfasts here need work. Compared to protea umhlanga this hotel has much to work on in the breakfast department. Send your team to Umhlanga to see what can be done with a similar setup. Coffee quality needs work too. I look forward to seeing these improvements next time.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and to and give us additional positive feedback after your recent stay with Protea Hotel Midrand.

I am delighted to hear that the you often use Protea Hotel Midrand when your travels bring you to Midrand. Your commendations of our comfortable rooms and tasty dinner are highly valued. May I ask that when you visit Protea Hotel Midrand again, you ask for a garden facing room. I have taken special note of your comment about breakfast. We have made changes and improvements on our breakfast since your last visit and wish to ask you to rate us again on your next visit.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Midrand again soon.

Jacques Jordaan

Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

I stayed there for a couple of nights on business. The room is clean, large enough, the mattress is really good and the view in the garden is good. Staff, restaurant menu and breakfast buffet are OK. They offer an airport shuttle service for a fee. It is conveniently located for business as many companies are in the surroundings. Probably not good for holidays.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

I have used this hotel many times in the past because of its convenience between Johannesburg and Pretoria but this time will more than likely be my last. The service in the restaurant was diabolical. The first waiter did not understand the wine menu and took 23 minutes to advise us they did not have the wine we wanted but they actually did have it in stock. The second waitress tried to resolve the issue but did not return. Eventually I approached the front office and asked for some assistance and they again tried. After 50 minutes in the restuarant we got the original bottle of wine we ordered. Our guests had arrived in the meantime. It took about 20 minutes to get them wine glasses. We then had to ask for food menus and ordered the food. The head waiter by now was alerted to our concerns and advise us that the butternut was sour and we should not order that. We gave up and asked them what they had and what we could eat. The food was reasonable but the staff are diabolical and clearly have not been trained and the hotel is either battling financially as they are unable to provide the menu items or they just do not care.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Tarryn A, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2017

Dear Jenny i,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for providing feedback regarding your visit as this is the only means that we have in order to critique our GUEST service experience.

I sincerely apologize for the level of service that you received at our establishment.
This is not the standard that we, at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, pride ourselves on. Steps will be taken in order to resolve the matter.

Please try us once more, so that we might "wow" you with our true level of service.

Kind Regards,
Tarryn Annamalay
GUEST Relations Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2017

I loved staying at this hotel. It is very central for business in both JHB and Pretoria. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Check in was effortless. The rooms are renovated and very clean. Room service was great. It is nice to sit on the balcony by the pool and work after a long day.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool is quieter
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

Excellent staff at Reception who are always willing to assist and accommodate requests especially my need to have a room close to reception. Housekeeping is brilliant and rooms are clean.
Bar staff work hard at night trying to get bar meals out timeously. The bar menu needs a facelift and extra staff at night may help. Restaurant staff are always so friendly and welcoming at Breakfast. Would love to try the Camelot Spa, especially in the evenings after work, but they are constantly fully booked. This hotel is my home away from home and the hotel staff here are stunning.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business