“Worst guesthouse in that price range”

Purple Trumpet Guesthouse
Ranked #58 of 367 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2016

As you open our bedroom door you look straight into the toilet and shower....so if someone knocks and you are in the shower or toilet, your spouse can NOT open the door...stains on the carpe....another member of our group complained of mould and flaking in the shower .....we were a group of about 14 in fact the majority of the Senior Exec staff of Toyota South Africa overnighted there - the guesthouse got everybody's breakfast orders wrong.....and that after we were requested the previous night to do the checklist for what we would like....breakfast took forever to arrive, one of the ladies in the group ordered a tea - when we eventually had to leave she was still waiting.....on arrival at the guesthouse we asked to have a jacket pressed or steamed, it took them over half hour to send someone - so neither my husband not I could dare go shower to get ready for our function for fear she would arrive and we would have to answer the door and be seen naked in the shower......another guest locked something in the safe, the battery ran down and they couldn't find the safe's backup key........our room entrance was right at reception....seriously?.....no jokes.....worst guesthouse reward and we have stayed in many.......

Room Tip: Don't book there at all..........
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 May 2016

I visited Purple Trumpet with my partner to celebrate my 25th birthday. I was pleasantly surprised by the elegant decor and warm look and feel of the establishment. The guesthouse feels like a home away from home and on a good day, one can enjoy a cup of coffee on the veranda whilst listening to sweet mother nature. The room itself was impressive! Clean white linen, loads of towels, robes and slippers greet you when you upon arrival. The king size bed provides the most comfortable sleep and the shower is very modern and spacious. We took advantage of the snacks and drinks available in the mini bar (The whiskey is a bit steep though @R50 a tot) and when we were not in our room, we drove a short distance to the nearby restaurants and malls. I enjoyed my stay at this establishment but my only critique is with the management. On our first morning we waited almost 30 min for our breakfast after we had stated that we would like for it to be ready at 09:00. We complained and eventually decided to go and eat somewhere else after the staff apologized and pleaded with us to stay. This place could do with an active and hands on manager to deal with such incidents.

Room Tip: The corner double room upstairs is ideal as it provides easy access the outdoor lounge area ;)
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2016

It is a beautifully decorated guest house, conveniently situated in Waterkloof.
We were warmly greeted by Chiesa the friendly and helpful receptionist and Oupa. Our room was well appointed and clean. However we could not adjust the airconditioner at all and it was exceptionally hot weather. We invited a guest for dinner on our first night there; the menu was promising; there were a total of 5 guests in the restaurant, two of whom had clearly pre-ordered their meal. We waited over an hour and 15minutes for I think the worst meal I have ever eaten in a restaurant. Not only was the food terrible but it was not what was described on the menu. Sibongile the chef, explained that she could not serve what we had ordered as she did not have the ingredients in the kitchen (baby new potatoes, papadums, pureed peas etc basic ingredients in any restaurant). The Cape Malay chicken curried chicken was so hard our guest could not eat it. In fact it was most embarrassing all around. Sibongile apologised profusely. The 10% discount we received was meaningless after such a disappointing and nasty meal. Cooked breakfast was well prepared and tasty, fruit selection non existent as only chopped up apple and a few unripe strawberries comprised the fruit salad. Saturday morning we were woken by the gate bell ringing through to our bedroom. somehow it was connected to our bedroom telephone instead of the reception desk, however as there was nobody at reception at that time it would not have helped. The guest became more and more irritated and irate each time he phoned and I answered informing him I was also a guest and could not help him. I tried calling the manager on his landline and cell phone but he did not answer. I went out to reception and to look where the security guard was to open the gate but no sign of anyone. Breakfast on Saturday (different chef) was dismal and adequate.
Friendly, willing staff, lovely venue, excellent location but badly run and no sign of management.

Room Tip: rooms at the front are noisy as face on to a busy street.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2016

Situated in a good leafy neighbourhood and within walking distance to some of the best restaurants in Pretoria. Free undercover parking and a nice covered balcony for enjoying some fresh air.

Our rooms were well appointed with king size beds, modern shower and bath. Very spacious and comfortable.

The only problem was the Wi-fi which did not seem to work properly.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Juanv v
Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

I stayed at this Guesthouse during December 2015 when I was invited by a friend to play golf at the Pretoria Country Club (which is situated right next to the Guesthouse). When checking in the receptionist informed me that December was a very quiet time of year (as a matter if fact I suspect that I was the only guest that night) and although she was extremely friendly and helpful, it took her some time to locate my reservation (which didn't bother me, as I was not in a hurry). The rooms are clean and very comfortable (I stayed in the Suite which had a bath, shower, two basins, large double bed as well as two sofa's to relax on) and the only point of criticism that I could find was that the room that I stayed in was in need of some maintenance (the paint on the roof was coming loose, the carpet was ragged and one of the chairs had a stain on it). The internet connection was somewhat on the slow side and I suspect that this might be a drawback for business travelers.
Breakfast the following morning was very enjoyable. My general impression of this Guesthouse is positive and provided the maintenance is brought up to date soon (which I understood was the intention prior to the next season) I have no reservation in recommending it.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gerard K
Reviewed 5 December 2015

We have stayed for one night in a what could be a five star venue. However maintenance in room needs attention, bedside lamp not working, handle on toilet door hanging loose fixed myself, extractor fan in toilet not working and ceiling light in toilet askew. Than comes breakfast, nobody to meet and greet, in general poor service, melted butter packs replaced by frozen butter, no sideplates only given after asking for etc.etc., all in all a disappointment in a well designed facility.
Attention here to the smaller details is required.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeff20000
Reviewed 26 October 2015

I have stayed at this guesthouse several times mainly because of its accessability to UNISA and University of Pretoria. Its neat, reliable and good value for money. The rooms sometimes have strange lay-outs but you can ask for a different room. The decor is nice and modern. Service is very good and parking is safe. Breakfast is good too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Eastern side is quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business