All reviews neat rooms easy access fantastic stay secure parking free wifi guesthouse sleep basin business
Reviewed June 28, 2016

Our conference venue of choice for our smaller groups are definitely the Purple Trumpet. It is not only a beautiful venue but the friendliness of the staff members enhance the experience. It is very private, personal and they go the extra mile to ensure that all the delegates were happy with their meals and their visit and conference at the Purple Trumpet. I can definitely recommend them to you.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 13, 2016

Excellent service, and the room and hotel was very nicely furnished with attention to detail. It is well positioned in a lovely part of Pretoria. A well styled restaurant completes the picture. I would definitely recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 1, 2016

As you open our bedroom door you look straight into the toilet and shower....so if someone knocks and you are in the shower or toilet, your spouse can NOT open the door...stains on the carpe....another member of our group complained of mould and flaking in the shower .....we were a group of about 14 in fact the majority of the Senior Exec staff of Toyota South Africa overnighted there - the guesthouse got everybody's breakfast orders wrong.....and that after we were requested the previous night to do the checklist for what we would like....breakfast took forever to arrive, one of the ladies in the group ordered a tea - when we eventually had to leave she was still waiting.....on arrival at the guesthouse we asked to have a jacket pressed or steamed, it took them over half hour to send someone - so neither my husband not I could dare go shower to get ready for our function for fear she would arrive and we would have to answer the door and be seen naked in the shower......another guest locked something in the safe, the battery ran down and they couldn't find the safe's backup key........our room entrance was right at reception....seriously?.....no jokes.....worst guesthouse reward and we have stayed in many.......

Room Tip: Don't book there at all..........
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2016

I visited Purple Trumpet with my partner to celebrate my 25th birthday. I was pleasantly surprised by the elegant decor and warm look and feel of the establishment. The guesthouse feels like a home away from home and on a good day, one can enjoy a cup of coffee on the veranda whilst listening to sweet mother nature. The room itself was impressive! Clean white linen, loads of towels, robes and slippers greet you when you upon arrival. The king size bed provides the most comfortable sleep and the shower is very modern and spacious. We took advantage of the snacks and drinks available in the mini bar (The whiskey is a bit steep though @R50 a tot) and when we were not in our room, we drove a short distance to the nearby restaurants and malls. I enjoyed my stay at this establishment but my only critique is with the management. On our first morning we waited almost 30 min for our breakfast after we had stated that we would like for it to be ready at 09:00. We complained and eventually decided to go and eat somewhere else after the staff apologized and pleaded with us to stay. This place could do with an active and hands on manager to deal with such incidents.

Room Tip: The corner double room upstairs is ideal as it provides easy access the outdoor lounge area ;)
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2016

It is a beautifully decorated guest house, conveniently situated in Waterkloof.
We were warmly greeted by Chiesa the friendly and helpful receptionist and Oupa. Our room was well appointed and clean. However we could not adjust the airconditioner at all and it was exceptionally hot weather. We invited a guest for dinner on our first night there; the menu was promising; there were a total of 5 guests in the restaurant, two of whom had clearly pre-ordered their meal. We waited over an hour and 15minutes for I think the worst meal I have ever eaten in a restaurant. Not only was the food terrible but it was not what was described on the menu. Sibongile the chef, explained that she could not serve what we had ordered as she did not have the ingredients in the kitchen (baby new potatoes, papadums, pureed peas etc basic ingredients in any restaurant). The Cape Malay chicken curried chicken was so hard our guest could not eat it. In fact it was most embarrassing all around. Sibongile apologised profusely. The 10% discount we received was meaningless after such a disappointing and nasty meal. Cooked breakfast was well prepared and tasty, fruit selection non existent as only chopped up apple and a few unripe strawberries comprised the fruit salad. Saturday morning we were woken by the gate bell ringing through to our bedroom. somehow it was connected to our bedroom telephone instead of the reception desk, however as there was nobody at reception at that time it would not have helped. The guest became more and more irritated and irate each time he phoned and I answered informing him I was also a guest and could not help him. I tried calling the manager on his landline and cell phone but he did not answer. I went out to reception and to look where the security guard was to open the gate but no sign of anyone. Breakfast on Saturday (different chef) was dismal and adequate.
Friendly, willing staff, lovely venue, excellent location but badly run and no sign of management.

Room Tip: rooms at the front are noisy as face on to a busy street.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple