“Very good hotel, but....”
Review of Park Inn Sandton

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Obviously in Jo'burg is good to stay in Sandton area and this hotel could be very good deal, which was for me. Very clean, modern, stylish, good value for money, breakfast was real treat.
There is but...usage of internet on their computers was the most expensive rate I have ever paid. That said, you expect that internet connection is working all the time, but no...server was down.
I gave them phone number of the agent to call and book me a trip to Soweto, which actually they offered to do on my behalf, no response the other day. And suddenly they found other agent who did this for the same price but twice shorter (half day trip instead of full day trip). They don't have any taxi number in hotel, but the agency they work with and of course, they charge much more lying to guest that the price is same as taxi, which is not (all covering with safety issues).
This type of hotel shouldn't contract only one transport agency.
Local mobile calls are charged as international...even though it is not written in manual.
So I guess, earning money aside and "cheating" guests is normal if you know how to explain guest why this is good for him/her.
Stay here, but don't rely on additional services even if they offer to you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Park Inn by Radisson Sandton Hotel with fellow travelers.As an international brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting the areas of concern.

Although not all aspects of your visit were flawless; we do thank you for recognizing the positive facets of your stay. Park Inn by Radisson Sandton trades under the Code of Business Ethics as enforced by Rezidor Hotel’s Group which does not allow for us to be deceitful in any way to our guests, it is therefore with regret and great concern that you felt cheated on by our dedicated team players during your stay.

We wish to assure you that your experience is certainly not indicative of the level of service and standards to which we strive and hold ourselves by. The succession of miscommunication with our Front Desk has been noted and will be addressed with the seriousness it deserves.

Please feel free to contact myself or any member of the Management team should you travel this side again as we wish to retain you as our valued guest!!

With Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2012

As has already been mentioned, the Park Inn in Sandton is a relatively new property, (at the time of writing, less than two years old). It is very well-situated in Sandton - something of a 'preferred' area of greater Johannesburg - and certainly has many good features, particularly as it is marketed as a 'mid-range' hotel.
The lobby area of the hotel is clean, bright, 'funky' and airy. Everything is very much open-plan, (as is the case with the whole hotel, actually!), so the bar is located adjacent to the front desk, and the dining area leads off from this. There is an outdoor terrace area which is a pleasant space to sit out on, though isn't very big. Directly opposite the front desk are the somewhat infamous elevators (!) - before I arrived, colleagues who had stayed her previously warned me about their complexity! Actually, once you understand the system, they are easy to use; insert your room key card into the slot and press the number corresponding to your floor. The system then 'allocates' one of the three elevators to you - A, B or C - and automatically takes you to your floor without having to press any more buttons once inside. Saves everyone calling out different floor numbers and some poor individual, who ended up standing near the buttons, acting as a bellhop!
The corridors of the hotel are very dimly lit, which seems a little at odds with the colourful, light, overall approach. You actually need to give your eyes a few minutes to adjust to the dark, having come from the brightness of the lobby and the elevators! I had some initial difficulty locating my room; the direction signs opposite the lifts are not well-lit and the numbers are printed white-on-yellow, (the colour-scheme of the chain being red/yellow/green/blue), so it is hard to read. The same goes for the room numbers on the doors; everything is so dark and the numbers are hard to see! I ended up making a mental note of how many doors my room was to the exit - as a diligent guest might do as part of an evacuation plan! - to make sure I could safely return once I'd left!
The rooms of the Park Inn are very much 'design-led' - to the sacrifice of practicality, unfortunately. While I liked the general 'feel' of the accommodation, there are a number of flaws. Firstly the positive aspects. I always appreciate a 'proper' mini-fridge in any hotel room - this one functioned very well and was appreciated, especially since there are two food stores a very short walk away. The printed sliding screens - which 'merge' with a 'mural' of sorts, and depict the Mandela Bridge in Johannesburg - are extremely effective 'blackout curtain' alternatives, and when fully-closed, provide an excellent sleeping environment. There is an adequate work-desk with lamp, and the aircon seems to function well. Everything is immaculately clean and well-presented, (though, of course, everything is still relatively quite new!)

Now for the not-so-good points! There is a distinct lack of power sockets within the room. I managed to locate a single socket which took EU/US-style plugs, (the remainder fitted only the three round-pin SA style plugs, and were used to power the bedside lamps), and this is located at the work-desk. This is fine if you want to plug in your laptop and do some work, or charge something overnight, but not so great if you want to make use of the hairdryer, (supplied in the wardrobe) - it is nowhere near a mirror! Although I wet-shave, I noticed that there isn't any kind of shaver-socket either. An hotel that is part of an international brand - and especially one that is so recently-opened - should have anticipated that guests these days come with a whole host of gadgets that need powering -up - be they business or leisure travellers - and provided a few power outlets in the rooms.
I can certainly see how the 'wetroom' area could prove controversial, (calling it a 'bathroom' seems a little inaccurate, since there is neither a bath nor a separate 'room' involved!) The design of this area seems very much geared to the single business traveller, and has already been said, might not appeal to couples who are not particularly intimate! The area consists of a separate toilet stall, and a generously-sized shower stall, all featuring frosted-glass doors. The shower and toilet are separated from eachother by a further pane of glass, with a bright red frosting - but it doesn't reach all the way up, so whatever might be going on in the toilet stall would be audible if you were in the shower! The sink overlooks the bed; it is separated by a panel of clear glass with a mirrored section. Basically, it feels like almost everything is on-show! Fine of you're on your own and possibly OK with a 'significant other', but it might need some getting used to. The rainfall shower is fantastic, though - and if it doesn't provide sufficient power for you, there is a separate handheld attachment on the wall.

The wardrobe in the room is quite narrow - 50cms wide or so - so wouldn't take too many clothes. Also located within the wardrobe is the hardryer and in-room safe. Adjacent to the wardrobe and above the mini-fridge, there is a kettle with tea and coffee-making facilities, and a couple of mugs.

I found the bed to be very comfortable, and especially appreciated the 'firm' pillows, (soft, lifeless pillows are something of a bugbear of mine!) I managed a lot of sound sleep, which is always a bonus!

Internet access within the rooms is wifi only and apparently chargeable; however, 'Club Carlson' members - the loyalty club of the Radisson group, of which Park Inn is a brand - receive free in-room internet access. Membership is free so if you plan on staying here, sign up online beforehand and save a few Rand! There is no actual option for logging in with a membership number etc. on the welcome screen, but I *think* any charges would be deducted at check-out once membership had been shown.

Although I didn't interact with the staff too much during my stay, I found them all to be approachable and pleasant and quite keen.

Overall, I could quite happily recommend this hotel for a stay in the Johannesburg area. Giving it three stars seems a little mean, but giving it four, a tad generous! A safe, sold, option.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent trip to our Beautiful, Colorful Property – Park Inn by Radisson Sandton.

We are most humbled by your positive feedback and trust that we have earned a frequent visitor in you. We are thrilled to have been given the platform to be at your service. Our aim is to consistently offer our guests the best possible service and product; as Customer satisfaction is worthless BUT Customer loyalty is priceless. We are only able to better our service through the feedback we receive which enables us to target problem areas and to take necessary actions; for we believe in constant improvement and constant change.

The modern design of our elevators are highly favored by the Rezidor Hotel Group properties due to the security feature they provide, we trust that you will find them user friendly on your upcoming visits !! Your comments regarding the lighting of the Hotel were noted, and passed on to relevant parties.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Inn by Radisson Sandton,

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 26 March 2012

First of all, this hotel sells itself as a mid-range hotel and i suppose it is just that. As a female travelling alone, there are some things that are quite important to me and this is where I feel that Park Inn falls down.
First the good bits. The staff are friendly and helpful. room service is fine. Meals arrived still hot and the menu has a reasonable choice of food.
Now the rest. When getting out of the lift at my floor, it is very difficult to see the sings saying which way to go find the room. The corridor is badly lit and it is also difficult to see room numbers because of the directional lighting (or lack of it!) In the room, its the same. Lighting here has been designed by someone who has not stayed in many hotels.
The bathroom is rather open-plan and it you leave the light on, you have to get out of bed to turn it off as there is clear glass between the sink area and the bed area. Irritating. There is no magnifying mirror, no bath just a large shower, and no hair conditioner supplied. All rather small things, but add up to something bigger. There is a kettle with tea and coffee. Sockets take S.A plugs, and also U.S and E.U 2 pin plugs.
I had occasion to move my bed and wish I hadn't! Staff at the front desk were apologetic and the room was cleaned quickly.
There is a small Mall a five minute walk away with a few restaurants and a Spar and Woolworth. Also a beauty salon and hairdresser.
Would i stay here again? I think there may be better hotels in Sandton for a similar price.
Top tip. Join Club Carlson when you check in, then internet is free in your room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Lady Traveler

Thank you for providing us with your constructive feedback on your recent stay at the Park Inn by Radisson Sandton.

It gives us great pleasure to be located a stone throw away from the shopping arenas in Sandton which are definite draw cards when travelers choose their lodging destinations. We are humbled to know that you found the Front Desk staff helpful as we strive to be hospitable to all our guests; for we pride ourselves on the "Yes I Can" service philosophy that we all live by.

Your positive comments regarding the Room Service order were passed on to both the Kitchen and Food and Beverage teams!!

As an international brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting the areas of concern. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and to take the necessary actions.

We further acknowledge that you have many choices when it comes to lodging in Sandton; we however sincerely hope that the highlighted concerns will not deter you from booking with us for your future stays in Johannesburg.

At your service,

Front Office Manger

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed for two night during our recent stay in Johannesburg. We chose Park Inn mainly because of the location in Sandton ( if you've never been to Johannesburg, trust me you don't wanna stay elsewhere than Sandton ). The staffs were professional and helpful. Rooms were small but comfortable and clean. The lift system can be confusing at first but after a while we got used to it. The hotel provides free shuttle bus around Sandton area every two hours from 10am - 2 am, so its convenient for the guests. we had no complaints and enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Siera1408
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Sandton Ambassador,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our property, we thank you for affording us the platform to be at your service

It gives me great pleasure to know that you found our dedicated Team members helpful; as we strive to be hospitable to all our guests and pride ourselves on the Yes I Can Service philosophy that we all live by.

Our location is indeed preferred by many as the shopping arenas in and around Sandton are definite draw cards for travelers like yourself. Excellent Hotels don't believe in excellence – they believe in constant improvement and constant change which promises Effortless Experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Functional Modern Property, that can deliver today and remain at the forefront in the future.

At Your Service,

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We hosted a business course at this hotel in November 2011. The hotel was really nice, new & modern with funky twists. The staff were on average quite good, the food was alright & the rooms were nice, but not very big. The house keeping lady packed my suitcase for me on my last day without me asking which I found really helpful & amazing!
The only issue we had with the hotel is their system for allocating rooms is a bit dodgey. A couple of our guests were allocated rooms only to discover other people's things already in them...! And then 1 person had another walk in on them...a bit weird!

However, the conferencing facilities are not great. The plenery room, when divided, is not sound proof, so we could hear the other group's videos & discussions which was quite disrupting. The conference centre is also modern but the area you have tea in is cramped as it is the lobby of the centre & you have to share it with the other room. The conference centre staff were very helpful & attentive. They have lovely board rooms with balconies which were great for breakaway rooms at night, but watch the cost of these as they bill you if you use them past 12pm.
over all a good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms above the pool can be noisy @ night if you are not high up & have your windows open.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to our modern Hotel.

Our aim is to consistently offer our guests the best possible service and product; as Customer satisfaction is worthless BUT Customer loyalty is priceless. It is heartwarming to know that the Park Inn Sandton TEAM successfully delivered on the Brand Promise, particularly the Housekeeping team member who exceed your expectations.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disruptions experienced at our conferencing venues; as an international brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting the areas of concern. The feedback received enables us to target problem areas and to take the necessary actions.

We look forward to adding COLOUR to your life soon !!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Situated just outside the bustle of Sandton, the Park Inn is truly a great hotel. Clean, modern, funky and friendly staff. I stayed in a Standard room on the 7th floor, very spacious and functional. The only drawback of the room was the “hard” pillows, fine for sleeping, but not nice for chilling. The next door construction didn’t bother me at all. The Gautrain station is about a 1km away, but it’s not one of the greatest and safest routes and definitely don’t walk it after sunset! Had an over-all awesome experience staying at the Park Inn!

Room Tip: Even number rooms overlook the Sandton skyline.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank cometocapetown
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Sandton Ambassador !!!

Thank you for giving us the platform to be at your service. We are truly humbled by your positive feedback for without you, we wouldn’t be.

Service Excellence is our main priority as we are aware that we have impact on quality as a TEAM. This means delivering quality service and experiences to each and every guest. We proudly walk the talk and prepare ourselves to provide experiences that will be distinctly unique and unforgettable through our Yes I Can service concept and spirit.

We trust that your positive experience at our establishment will be the start of a long and positive relationship.

At your service,

Reviewed 5 February 2012

You will not go there for holidays. But as business hotel, this is a good value option, good location in an expensive neighbourhood. Modern, functional rooms, comfortable enough. Excellent breakfast and a decent restaurant. Safe environment, access to floors only with room key. The whole design is meant to be trendy. Very subjectively, they go this a bit wrong, but it's modern all right. Good conferencing facilities.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Valued Business Traveler,

It is heartwarming to learn that the dedicated Park Inn Sandton Team met your expectations; and we are pleased to have been given the platform to do so.

We look forward to hosting you soon,

At your Service,