“Tapas and drinks late afternoon”

Pappas on the Square
Ranked #11 of 487 Restaurants in Sandton
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: For more than two decades, Pappas has been dishing out Mediterranean taste sensations and memorable dining experiences. Pappas has been in the family since the 80s and is now run by the second generation of restaurateurs.We are conveniently situated in the heart of Sandton on Nelson Mandela Square, a hop, skip and jump away from the Sandton Gautrain station. Our extensive menu consists of delicious Mediterranean fare combined with traditional Greek tastes and flavours that will take you on a culinary journey fit for royalty. All our meals are homemade daily to ensure the freshness and quality you deserve and expect. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests to Pappas so you may enjoy every generosity our restaurant and experienced staff have to offer.
Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

We went out early for dinner as we had missed out on lunch so we arrived at Pappas at the rather peculiar time of around 4:30pm. We had a lovely table at the front overlooking Mandela Square. This was a fabulous place to watch the world go by - Sunday afternoon in Johannesburg with families and couples mulling around and taking zillions of photos. We ordered 5 tapas to share between two couples. These were served with the most delicious warm pittas - a little crispy on the outside and meltingly fluffy on the inside. Little pots of homemade hummus accompanied this and it was divine. We had deep fried halloumi sticks - crisp on the outside and salty yumminess on the inside. Prawns wrapped in crispy thin stringy pastry were really gorgeous. The highlight for me was the calamari- honestly the most delicious I’ve tasted since a sailing holiday in Greece some years ago. It was exceptional.
The chicken souvlaki were okay too.
We had delightful Sauvignon Blanc to wash our tasty tapas down.
A fabulous experience and we would love to return for dinner one evening. We hear the lamb kleftiko is not to be missed.
Authentically Greek and gorgeous. Well done Pappas.

Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

Meals here can be light or heavy... due to the location you may spend longer there people watching. The restaurant has a great view overlooking Mandela square. I have eaten here many times and never been disappointed. Excellent wine, food and service

Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

My daughter and I go to Pappas at least once a month. The food is consistently of a high quality and the service is beyond reproach. Steaks are really good and always cooked perfectly. Make sure to try the Greek desserts and coffee - absolutely heavenly.
A table on the edge overlooking the square is the place to be - you can then watch all the people in the square

Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

I heard about this restaurant ages ago as I love Greek and Cypriot cuisine and thought if im ever in South Africa i should visit. I was not disappointed! delicious veggie moussaka and potatoes, complimentary dips and great service. Cant wait to come back.

Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

Let me start from this: this is the first restaurant ever, that charged me for lemon water... R10, thank you very much.

We ordered kleftiko, the all time favorite. The meat was served warm, which is very strange for a lamb meal, and roasted potatoes were cold. The lamb was very plain and tasteless. It was rather disappointing as This restaurant was highly recommended to me. And for the price you pay, you expect better

The view is amazing though. Got a star for that.

Rather try some other Mediterranean restaurants, there are better places nearby.