“Excellent dinner, moderately priced”

Pappas on the Square
Ranked #12 of 494 Restaurants in Sandton
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: For more than two decades, Pappas has been dishing out Mediterranean taste sensations and memorable dining experiences. Pappas has been in the family since the 80s and is now run by the second generation of restaurateurs.We are conveniently situated in the heart of Sandton on Nelson Mandela Square, a hop, skip and jump away from the Sandton Gautrain station. Our extensive menu consists of delicious Mediterranean fare combined with traditional Greek tastes and flavours that will take you on a culinary journey fit for royalty. All our meals are homemade daily to ensure the freshness and quality you deserve and expect. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests to Pappas so you may enjoy every generosity our restaurant and experienced staff have to offer.
Reviewed December 27, 2017

This restaurant is in an attractive space overlooking Mandela Square, with a mixture of indoor and covered outdoor seating. Although we didn't have reservations, we were promptly greeted and seated, although at an unfortunately placed table that the wait staff had to repeatedly dodge for the rest of the evening. Service, however, was welcoming and professional.

We started with two beers (59 ZAR each for 500 ml) and two appetizers (spankakopita and the moussaka stuffed aubergine, 59 ZAR each); both appetizers were delicious. For entrees, I enjoyed the "Pappas chicken", which proved to be two generous chicken fillets stuffed with spinach and feta (145 ZAR); it was excellent, although one fillet would have been sufficient. My partner enjoyed the beef moussaka (125 ZAR). Each entree was served with a choice of several side dishes. The total with tax but before tip was only 506 ZAR.

The combination of excellent food and service with moderate prices warrants a strongly favorable evaluation.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

We visited with family during a recent stay. We ordered way too much food, but it was all well done and the appetizers would have been enough. The shrimp appetizer stood out. Two of us had the house specialty lamb dish. It was huge, and the most tender, tasty lamb shank I have had. The others had dishes that were well prepared with generous portions.

Reviewed December 21, 2017 via mobile

Great location in Mandela Square. Hot pita bread with hummus served. Delicious start. Our table enjoyed stuffed calamari, hot mussels, and trout. Every morsel was consumed on each plate. Amazing flavors and preparation. Everything served hot which added to experience. I had added chicken livers. It was unusual on menu so I wanted to try them. They too were excellent. The only issue I had was my own fault. I spent a good deal of time waiting for my bill. I was later reminded by my wife that I have to ask. I asked and the bill promptly appeared. I included a nice tip because the service was excellent. Our waiter helped with ordering and was delightful throughout the meal. The mussels were special, fresh, tasty, and perfectly textured. The broth was like nothing I had before. I highly recommend this spot. By American comparison, this place is a steal. Comparable meal would easily be double the price.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

Directly overlooking Nelson Mandela Square, this restaurant is the perfect place to eat and experience its vibrancy. The Greek cuisine is delicious and waiters are always ready to find whatever it is you'd like to explore (on the menu or not). We highly recommend this restaurant for its ambiance, service and great quality food!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed December 10, 2017

Truly delicious food, lovely ambiance, and good service. Vegetarian friendly menu options. I had a very good afternoon here and I can't wait to be back.