All reviews club floor atrium restaurant nelson mandela square sky bridge nespresso machine in the room corner room convention center hotel gym room service rooms are large very nice hotel the general manager mini bar sandton sun turn down service an upgrade sandton area
Reviewed September 21, 2018

During my recent travels to South Africa, I had the pleasure in staying at the Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers. As a regular traveller, this property is now one of my favourite, and will definitely return, due to its location, connection to local shopping centres and the most amazing team at the hotel.

My experience started with Tumi on the Club floor, who welcomed me and attended to all my requests with absolute precision...its is rare to find such exceptionally high quality service...she was attentive, professional and ensured that everything was communicated within the rest of the team...and what a great sense of humour...Thank you...

It would be wrong of me if I did not mention some of the other team members that made my stay such a memorable experience! Thank you to Kathleen, Zandile, Tasneem, Timothy, Moses, Senzo, Meshack, John, Restaniq and then of course Suzan Khoza who always ensured my room was perfect...and Evelyn Motaung who provided such personalised and friendly service.

Kaliq Essop, your engagement with the guests is truly amazing...I felt so welcome...thank you for creating such a wonderful experience through your guidance and support of the amazing team at your hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Kathleen H, Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Dear Stephen M

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback.
I will share your comendations with the team.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Kathleen Hedges
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2018

I stayed here for the last 2 nights and it was a very good experience. The staff at the bar and at the door were amazing and very professional. I would like to speak of one staff member who made my stay even better. Ntombi from the front desk was always cheerful and helped me a lot. I was having multiple meetings and she ensured that the people who arrived knew where i was and when i was running late she made sure they waited for me to arrive. She went the extra mile as this is clearly more than what she is required to do. I had a small problem in my room and she was very fast to solve it. She is a true asset to the Intercontinental Team and is always smiling and cheerful. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Kaliq E, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2018

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor.

Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the team. I will personally thank Ntombi and reward her accordingly for her service delivery.

I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed September 13, 2018

I spend about 100 nights a year in a variety of hotels around the world. Simply put, this was the best hotel experience I have ever had. Below are my reasons for reaching this conclusion.

1. Physical facilities. The physical facilities are nice--on this component, I would classify the hotel a 4-star+ or 5-star-. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms are well-designed and very functional. The lobby is attractive and comfortable as are the associated dining and bar facilities. This is not the most luxurious of hotels I have visited but it has a very comfortable luxury feel. Everything is extremely clean and kept refreshingly pleasant.

2. Food. The breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant is quite nice. It may not be the most extensive hotel breakfast buffet I have seen but it has an extremely nice selection of well-prepared, tasty food. You can choose a large comfort breakfast or a healthier option with lots of quality food either way.

3. The People. Plain and simple, this is the reason why the IC Johannesburg Sandton Towers provided the best hotel experience I have ever had. Without providing every detail, let me share that every employee I have encountered has clearly been well-selected, carefully trained, and committed to the highest level of service. I have spent multiple nights at this hotel and interacted with most of the management team. As a management professor, I am always delighted when I find excellence in management in practice. I definitely found it here! I believe the tone has been set by Kaliq, the General Manager, and that the culture of the entire staff is to engage, support, and provide the best experience possible. Equally outstanding were Front Office Manager, Salmaan, and Asst. Front Office Manager, Ricardo. From doormen to GM, my impression was the same: "this person cares and executes well." I seldom remember hotel employees after leaving a property. In this case, there are at least five or six employees whom I look forward to seeing again when I return to Joburg soon.

The staff are particularly good at judging the style of service that each guest wants. If you want to be fully engaged, they respond appropriately, If you just want a task completed, they respond appropriately. If you want staff to be proactive, they will take the initiative.

4. The Club Lounge. The Club Lounge is small (two relatively small rooms on either side of the elevator bank on the lounge level) but never excessively crowded even when the hotel is full. The food and drink on offer at the lounge are first class--anyone should be able to find what they want whether it is a quick drink and snack or something more substantial. The breakfast served in the lounge is quite good and the food at Happy Hour is just right. The highlight of the lounge, however, was the staff. They are efficient, friendly, and could not be better at their work. They went out of their way to help and were truly wonderful people with whom to interact.

5. Groups. I recently had the opportunity to take a group of 50 professional MBA students on their Global Learning Experience in Joburg. I booked them at the IC Sandton Towers. They stayed for seven nights. The hotel handled everything associated with the group flawlessly. We gave the hotel arrival information for the incoming students. The hotel had room assignments and keys ready for quick distribution at a special desk when our groups of participants arrived. They also had refreshing drinks ready on arrival and a member of management personally greeted them (an efficient, friendly, and informative greeting). Throughout the group stay, the hotel was flawless. One day, we had a schedule change and needed box lunches prepared. With less than 12 hours notice, the chef prepared excellent lunches that were ready for our early departure the next morning. One day, we had an early group departure from the hotel scheduled an hour before the restaurant was scheduled to open. The hotel opened the restaurant early so our participants could have a full breakfast before departure. When one of our participants became ill, before I could ask, the hotel offered to bring in an international, English speaking doctor. The list goes on. Anyone considering taking a group to the Sandton area should consider this hotel. I have used the Royal Garden Hotel for a lower budget group and it was fine. We have used the Da'Vinci Hotel and the Michelangelo Hotel. Neither of those is near the same level of service for group travel. Where the staff at the IC anticipates needs, the staff at the Da'Vinci spends more time resisting requests. In 2019, I will take two more groups of professional students to Joburg and have booked both groups into the IC Joburg Sandton. I have never had such good hotel reviews from my group participants.

End of story. The InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers provided the best overall hotel experiences I have ever had--both for individual stays and group stays. I have nothing else to say but "Thank you and I look forward to seeing you again soon."

Room tip: Club Lounge rooms--worth it!
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Kaliq E, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor.

Your detail explanation of your experience at the Intercontinental Sandton Towers is much appreciated and will be shared with the entire team especially Salmaan, Ricardo, the Club Floor team and the F&B team.

Reading your experience gives us as management a sense of comfort that the effort put into training and development does pay off sometimes. I am glad that the Group Participants also enjoyed their 7 night stay.

We look forward to welcoming you and your group next year and building on this relationship going forward.

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

Rooms are spacious, room service is on the clock (2nd visit early afternoon), friendly staff and the price is better than expected.
The only thing I found that needs attention, is that breakfast menu is identical every day of the week, some change would be good.
Stayed 6 nights btw.

Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for the Posting on TripAdvisor.

Your comments both positive and constructive are appreciated and will be shared with the team especially the Chef so that we can ensure that we vary our breakfast offering daily.

As a 6 night stay we value your business and look forward to your next stay and a much improved breakfast offering.

Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

I was really impressed by the food and service at the Intercontinental in Sandton.
I arrived after a long flight from Sydney and was able to request a fresh, healthy meal that wasn’t on the menu. My server had a good sense of humor and was really personable.
The breakfast spread was also fantastic and my server Obakeng in particular went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Katie G
Kaliq E, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2018

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor.

Your positive comments are noted and will be shared with the team. I will personally thank thank the F&B team especially Obakeng for his service delivery and reward him accordingly.

Look forward to your next stay at the Intercontinental Sandton Towers.