All reviewsgrand chateaucourtyard suiteamuse bouchebeautiful hotelbustling cityan oasishour flightlarge bathroommain buildinglong flightsouth africabusiness tripnelson mandela squarejohannesburgsafarifireplacebotswana
Reviewed July 12, 2018

There is every good reason to give this property 5 stars although one issue - the room service food - tempted me to dock a star..but I relented to a full grading! It's just lovely! Magnificent surroundings, lovely pool, terrific cabana's and superlative and opulent rooms make this a luxury winner. My room was super and very well appointed if not a little too warmly heated. Magnificent bed fit for royalty! Bathroom was super-spacious with a good shower and double basin attached to a large walk-in closet! Complimentary soft-drinks in-room add to the experience. Small issues like HD TV reception would be welcomed in a premium establishment like this although I did appreciate a really good TV selection. Wifi was efficient and fast. Public areas are gorgeous and staff very very attentive indeed. All the makings of a 5-star experience in Sandton. It's not walkable to any shops or malls - but that is of no consequence - it's a real oasis only a few minutes drive from all the retail and business services of the area. My one issue though was with the quality (and price) of the room service food. I wanted a quick and simple meal as I watched the World Cup soccer in my room and decided on a basic burger and fries. This arrived quickly but it was really average. For a price of R175 for the burger and a R20 tray charge, I thought this price did not nearly match the quality of the food presented. The food was poorly plated, needed garnish and the fries were sub-standard. But perhaps, in such luxury, a burger should not be ordered! Breakfast was good - although again, for the quality of the establishment, I would've liked to have seen some artisanal breads added to the more regular buffet offerings. The rest of my one-night stay was beautiful and should I have a conference again, I sure would want to be housed back here!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Michael_Kewley1, General Manager at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Your wonderful comments about our opulent rooms and magnificent surroundings was much appreciated and will most definitely be shared with the Team. We strive to improve our standards and reward excellence, and appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

Only had an overnight in Johannesburg, and we were fortunate enough to stay at Fairlawns. Great grounds, awesome rooms. We had 5 rooms and they were all themed differently and decorated perfectly. Staff facilitated our transport to Mandela square and were helpful in our restaurant selection. Very helpful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of our Oasis.

Your wonderful comments about our Hotel was greatly appreciated and will be shared with the Team. As a five star Boutique Hotel we strive for more and thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

We stayed one night at fairlawns on our honeymoon in between a week in Mozambique and going on safari. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms and bathrooms are huge and luxurious with all the expected mod cons and amenities. We really enjoyed our 1 night stay in luxury in the middle of our more rural African travels (the WiFi and tv were a nice change for a night!).
The staff are all incredibly friendly and helpful and although we didn’t use the pool (it was winter), the set up looked great.
We had dinner in the hotel and were really impressed by the high quality of the food which was delicious. Breakfast was equally great and the champagne bar is fab for a drink. We would highly recommend fairlawns to anyone looking for a place to stay in joburg.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of our Oasis.

Your wonderful comments about our beautiful Hotel was greatly appreciated and will be shared with the Team. As a five star Boutique Hotel we strive for more and thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

Forget about the unique and historical location, forget abot the amazing interiors and the fact each room is a piece of art by itslef, forget about the excellent restaurant Amuse Bouche that offers one of the best breakfast I can have around the world and interesting dinner selection. Forget that all, but remember the fantastic, professinal but warm attitude that each of the staff has, making you feel more than a special guest ... making you feel you’re back home each time.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of our Oasis.

Your delightful comments were greatly appreciated and will be shared with the Team. As a five star Boutique Hotel we strive for more and thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed June 24, 2018

I have been staying at The Fairlawns repeatedly and love coming back, it is the highlight of my business trip every time I come to visit Johannesburg. I love the renovated rooms and the staff are amazing, attentive, professional and not so stiff like in other 5-star hotels.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Your kind comments was much appreciated, and will be shared with the team. We are thrilled to know that we have met your expectations, and look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our Sanctuary in the City.

Kind Regards