“Sandton Sun - A remarkable experience”
Review of Sandton Sun

Sandton Sun
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I travel fairly extensively and Sandton Sun is one of the real gems. The hotel is part of the South African owned “Southern Sun” hotel group with about 40 hotels throughout Africa. My other favorite hotels in this chain include the Cullinan in Cape Town and the Beverly Hill in Umhlanga (truly a magnificent location and impeccable service). Southern Sun offers one of the easiest to use Frequent Guest programs I have ever utilized. Rewards are simply 10% to 20% depending on your reward tier of whatever you spend, paid to you in Sun Rands. In addition you receive additional perks plus discounts of up to 20% on food and beverages depending on your reward tier level. More Hotel Chains, Airlines and Car Hire companies could benefit by adopting this type of Frequent Guest rewards model. South Africa offers many leading international hotel chains (Hilton, Holiday Inn, Fairmont, Hyatt, Radisson all of which I use outside of South Africa) but nobody does hospitality in South Africa like Southern Sun.

Back to Sandton Sun itself. What I like best about this hotel is location, location, location. Not only is it right next door to the world class Sandton City Mall and Nelson Mandela Square shopping centre, it is directly connected by a walkway to the Sandton City Mall and office tower block with over 300 shops and restaurants, a food court, banking hall a cinema complex and is very close to the convention center. As much as Sandton is the commercial hub of South Africa, the hotels swimming pool area is a little oasis in the city and a great place to relax. The bad news for the hotel was that with such a variety of restaurants in the neighborhood we did not make much use of the hotel restaurants this trip. When coming home late on occasions we ordered room service and they even turned a simple snacks of toasted (grilled) cheese and spaghetti bolognaise into gourmet, well presented meals. As an added convenience there is a no charge mini bar fridge which is restocked daily with juice, soda and water
On first arrival at the Sandton Sun I was greeted at the front door by Amos one of the porters with “Hi Mr Hill how are you, how are your wife and children”. It made my trip. How he remembered my name I have no idea, it was at least 12 months since we were previously in South Africa at Sandton Sun. Also the last time I recall seeing Amos he was working at a competing hotel during the 2010 Soccer World Cup and I could not get into Sandton Sun as it was 100% full on this memorable occasion. I remembered Amos because he stood out there too. On this particular visit to South Africa we had organized our trip by using Sandton as a hub, by first staying at Sandton Sun, then on to Cape Town (Cullinan Hotel) then back to Sandton Sun for a few nights, then to the Kruger park, then back to Sandton Sun for five days before flying home. Amos truly provided an exceptional customer experience, taking bags, carrying shopping, parcels and dry cleaning giving advice and suggestions at every opportunity, forever smiling and greeting and always going above and beyond. I had not been looking forward to all of these hotel check in and check outs but Amos and another friendly porter (his name unfortunately escapes me) always made the experience pleasant. And yes we had between the four of us 8 suitcases, 2 overnight bags, 3 computer bags, parcels etc.

Check in and check out and front desk access was so simple with the added convenience that Frequent Guest members have have their own separate reception area on the fourth floor at the business center. Here, the Sandton Sun team, especially Julian took care of our every request. On one occasion at check in the room was not ready, not that I really expected it to be, I was checking in at 11:00 in the morning, I was offered juice, tea or coffee, a comfy chair and a newspaper while I waited less than 30 minutes and they hurried housekeeping along. Yes tiny things did need occasional correction during the stay; but they were always taken care of immediately and resolved, first time. We were a family of four people and were upgraded to a corner room plus a corridor room on the 14th floor. We made some comments on how we really liked the corner room and both times we checked in afterwards we were checked into interleading corner rooms on 14th floor again. I am convinced this was by the hotels attention to detail not by coincidence. On the final day of departure we asked for late checkout (3 pm) absolutely no problem and no charge.

Even on the days the hotel was full to capacity over New Year, service did not suffer. In fact the only reason I knew the hotel was full was the secure underground parking cordoned off in an area for hotel guests was full and I had to park in the general mall parking area. My one complaint if any, I wished there was a shortcut from the hotel parking area to the hotel.

You can obtain cheaper hotels in the Sandton area but Sandton Sun offers exceptional value for money, five star standards, a great location and a wonderful guest experience. All I can say is we will be back, in fact I have already provisionally booked for December 2012 and January 2013 using Sandton Sun hotel as a hub again. Of course, I will also be making use of those Sun Rands accumulated from the last trip.

Hill family – stayed a total of 14 nights in two rooms on three separate occasions between December 8th 2011 and January 3rd 2012.

Room Tip: The corner rooms were large and delightful I loved the way they interconnected and you could setup a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Hill M
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs Hill,
Thank you so much for taking the time to send through such a comprehensive review on our lovely hotel. I sincerely appreciate it. We loved having you with us - and look forward to your next visit. Amos and the rest of the team - Thank you - as well. Keep well, and looking forward to December 2012. My reply feels so short and unapprecative of your comments - but this is not my intention. THANK YOU once again - Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Sandton Sun

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed at the Sandton Sun as part of my proposal to my girlfriend and all I can say is AMAZING! It truly was an amazing experience and we really were treated like royalty - from being provided with champagne during check-in, to the amazing room setup with rose petals, more champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries.... We went for a full body massage at their inhouse spa and it was fantastic - much better than mangwanani! Ate dinner at the phenomenal Vin restaurant - definately one of the best meals of my life!!

Thank you Sandton Sun for such an amazing experience! Would definately recommend this hotel to everyone...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Mr Ferreira,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback - truly appreciated. You stayed with us on our Valentines Day Package and good to hear that it was a success. We don't only run this package on Valentines weekend, but we also run a similar Romantic Package the entire year through. I trust all went well with the proposal and please accept our Congratulations from the Sandton Sun Team. Keep well and hope you will rejoin us soonest. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed in Sandton Sun and found the hotel is very comfortable. It is located in the Sandton area in Joburg and well connected to the convention centre, Sandton Mall and Nelson Mandela Square.

The lobby is pretty luxurious and the room is large. A very comfortable room with an ipod dock and large bed. The bath room is also spacious, giving you much room to "breathe". Try the San restaurant, it offers a good view of Joburg.

All in all, a very nice stay and looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear A Simple Jazz Lover, Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor - much appreciated. Looking at your "username" I trust you visited our San Deck on Thurs, Fri or Saturday - when its the place to be in Sandton - and our resident entertainer keeps everyone in high spirits - with his wide variety of music. Keep well and hope you'll visit us soon again. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We enojyed our 3 night stay, the hotel has a direct connection to the sandton shopping mall so it made it very easy for us, with our 1 year old daughter. Its a 5 minute walk from Mandela Square, which has excellent bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Very efficient staff. We had a good rest in our Luxury Room with wonderful views of Sandton & the serrounding areas. The dinner at the Restaurant must have been one of the best we had in any hotel in South Africa, with the best service we had the past month in various Hotels we stayed in. Mr Andrew Davidson G.M & his management team must be congratulated with the excellent work they are doing with the Sandton Sun Hotel. We really had a wonderful time & will be going back in the near future Thank You every one. Ps: the best wine list in town

Room Tip: The larger Rooms are very Quite & private. 5 Star restaurant
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hennievdh
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Hennievdh,
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel - really appreciated and gives us all an extra bounce in our step. Hope it won't be too long before you next visit. Keep well, Kind Regards Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed 24 January 2012

The Sandton Sun is a well located luxury hotel in Sandton, Jo'burg. An inside passage brings you direct into Sandton City Mall and Mandela square. The mall however is very standard and could have been anywhere in the world.
I do recommend the Eggs Benedict in the restaurant... really good..

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Dear Mr Opbrand,
Thank you for posting your recent feedback on Trip Advisor - appreciated.

I see you ventured into the shopping areas for some retail therapy - not sure if you saw the brand new section inside the Sandton Shopping centre passages called Protea Court. Brand new - out the box - and absolutely in line with international standards from a look and feel point of view and the various shops in that area.

Eggs Benedict - a personal favourite as well - Thank you.

Keep well and hope to see you soon again,
Kind Regards
Andrew Davidson

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Check in - courteous and efficient.
Room - comfortable but seriously tired. Can't have had a re-fit for decades.
Hotel restaurants - v. disappointing menus. Had great difficulty in finding any appealing dish.
Service - staff do try but engaging brain and being observant are not strong points.
Location in an iffy city with adjacent mall with most facilities makes it an attractive option.
Check out OK but the number of times I had to sign various pieces of paper was audit overkill - and irritating.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Blair W - Thank you for your recent stay at Sandton Sun and your valuable feedback.

As you can see from previous postings - we are planning a bathroom refurb this year - which will bring our rooms back to current standards and comfort. Its definately high on our agenda.

With regards to your restaurant experience - we encourage "off menu" requests as well. I hope on your next visit - that you will make use of the kitchen in the restaurant - and speak to the waitrons or chefs direct - and they will happilly prepare your favourite dish that evening.

Yes - our link to the mall and the surrounding shopping centres, restaurants, Exhibition spaces - is unbeatable - and we pride ourselves in a "all under one roof" concept. Even if arriving at ORT airport - a quick trip on the Gautrain brings you within 1 block of our hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback - it does not go unnotice or ignored - and we look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards