“Great Location but dissapointing”
Review of Sandton Sun

Sandton Sun
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We chose this hotel as it has a great location most convenient for shopping and restaurants in Sandton City.

Their business center is first class and staff most helpful despite the fact that one could not get an email through to them for printing

However we were MOST disappointed in the executive (?) as, inter alia:

The phone was not correctly programmed and one had to phone the operator to get put through to reception, room service and housekeeping.

The room smelled dusty and was not properly cleaned … there were even some chocolate papers on the floor from the previous occupant

The bathroom does not have any towel rails, never mind a towel warmer, and were stacked on the (single) wash basis area which left no room for our toiletries etc

No bedside cabinet with drawers (only a table on one side and the desk on the other) which is most inconvenient

No a la cart breakfast and was expected to pay for a full breakfast ($20+) despite only wanting bowl of porridge/cereal

We expected better from a claimed 5/4(?) star hotel and despite the location will not be returning

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Sandton Sun

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I recently visited the restaurant with some friends at the sandton sun hotel, the manager was rude, unfriendly and was talking about us literally few steps away from us where we could hear him, we approached him asking him if it was a problem when he said customers like you should not come here at all and walked away. He was a total put off, I will never visit there again ...

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Akm000
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I often stay at the Sandton Sun whilst on business and enjoy being able to walk to Nelson Mandela Square, Michael Angelo Towers and Sandton City to enjoy dinner at one of many top restuarants in Johannesburg. Being frequent guests comes with many perks including the very quick check in and being well received by everyone at the hotel. The breakfasts are good but not a huge variety. Spa is good also and comes in handy when you need a good massage after busy day/week. The hotel is very efficient when catering for your business needs.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Its always a pleasure to be back here, the largest hotel in South Africa and indeed the Southern Hemisphere. Very goo d standards in all departments, good restaurants, with many just outside
on the square to suite all tastes and budgets.

Never stayed in the tower as its quite a distance from the main facilities, and always enjoy the Sun. Must have stayed here 30+ times and never a bad exerience !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Staff were very nice and in the restaurant, very competent. Front desk staff however were a mess in my book. This is a business hotel but not at the level I expect for this price.

I stayed in the Sandton Sun for five nights in May 2012 and saw the hotel in some depth as I had most of my meals and meetings in the hotel or complex nearby. On night number three I went to the front desk to make a major complaint about the lack of decent internet speeds -I couldn't hold a skype conversation with colleague in head office, and my connection and computer would essentially lock up when running anything (eg an update of antivirus definitions) in the background if I had a browser open.

I made a big complaint at the front desk and the desk staff suggested that "It's because there are so many people on in the evenings" to which my response was "This hotel costs over R1800 / $200 per night and I'm sorry but that's not acceptable as an answer." The night manager was eventually called, apologised, and said the management would respond in the morning when they came in.

I quite literally never heard from the management, never got any kind of further response, and will not be staying here again because of this alone.

Likewise I asked for a razor from the desk for which they told me housekeeping had to come, and then when I was out of the room they didn't deliver one. I assume this was because I wasn't there to tip someone. I asked for this same razor - not joking - three times before it was finally delivered. I gave up and called when I was in the room. At the same time I asked for a shoe shine and it was done in 15 minutes at a reasonable price (R40) by a very kind and efficient gentlemen.

The staff was African in the good sense - genuine, warm, friendly - but not consistent, and not overly trained it seems in customer relations. As long as I didn't have a problem, everything was pretty much fine.

In terms of the rest, the hotel restaurant menu was good but not super extensive, the wine list is very good, and the breakfast is recommended - large, diverse, etc. The hotel is connected to one of the larger mall complexes in the country to my understanding and is, well, a mall. The restaurant choices in the mall are adequate but I didn't get outside the hotel very much.

I do have to say that the senior concierge was head and shoulders above the other staff, solving my problem (airline reservation inquiries and taxi booking) quickly and with minimum discussion.

Overall I will try staying elsewhere on my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to avoid some of the main atrium noise from the bar in evenings.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Overall a very good hotel. Lare and comfortable room which were quiet as well. I particularly liked the nespresso machine and the free soft drinks from the minibar. Can't comment of restraint as didn't use it, but there are plent of very good ones around.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This is a good transit or business hotel. It is clean and affordable. The front desk staff was unimpressive and not too helpful. Restaurant food was average.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business