“Not just dinner - an experience”
Review of Daruma

Daruma
Ranked #30 of 720 Restaurants in Durban
Price range: US$15 - US$22
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2018

I'm by no means an expert on Japanese food, but eating here was wonderful. The menu is incredibly varied and the food outstanding, but the best part was the experience: sitting at a shared table (it was a business dinner) watching the chefs prepare the food on the large cooking plate made the evening. Loses one star for cost. Not cheap, but I guess that's eating out.

Reviewed June 24, 2018

What a nice evening! We loved the sushi, and our waiter was really in top of things. They were out of edamame when we arrived, but as soon as it came in he notified us and asked if we wanted some. We really wished we’d be in town king enough to go back!

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

I have been going to Daruma for at least the last ten years. With each visit, my expectations are lowered. My positives first.
They seem to have a high turn over with waiters and chefs, on my last visit none of them where familiar, however the staff were available, quick and friendly so no complaints there.
Ingredients are fresh, and items on menu are always available.
The set menus I consider good value for money.
The teppanyaki chefs are always happy to cook to order in terms of seasoning, I usually ask for some chili on the side and they oblige.
Now for the negatives
Over the years, with high turnover of chefs, the newer guys cook with less finesse.
A lot of the meats/seafood is over cooked.In our party, as we ordered four set menus amongst us,both the calamari and beef fillet were over cooked.
They have replaced authentic Japanese serving bowls, the salad and rice were served in western soup bowls, I feel this takes a little away from your dining experience as a whole.
I found out that another branch has opened in Umhlanga, read my review on this aswell, as we visited both the Durban am sUmhlanga Branch within a week.
However if I wanted to have the whole Teppanyaki experience again, I would probably come back to the this branch and not the one in Umhlanga

Reviewed June 13, 2018 via mobile

The food was excellent and the prices were ok ! The service was great and the style of the restaurant was amazing! The chefs were really good and we really enjoyed it a lot !

Reviewed April 18, 2018

Dined at Daruma Restaurant on Valentine's Day. Sitting at the Tepinyaki table was an amazing experience, although it was my second time, it was amazing nonetheless. My fiance was completely in awe of the whole experience. Our chef was great prepared our meals perfectly. We quite enjoyed our meals and was well prepared. It was an amazing experience overall and would recommend anyone to experience it.